Author Topic: throwing is broken  (Read 22694 times)

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
Re: throwing is broken
« Reply #210 on: April 24, 2012, 04:40:16 am »
+1
Ah if anything, throwing is viable. I love my throwing alt ^^. So good damage and then I just go slash the last of hp someone might have after I've throwing axed him :D. It's one of the rare cases where splitting wpf is really worth it.

I don't know if pure thrower is viable anymore but as I see it, throwing is only to support and give you an advantage before you enter the melee fight. Just throw shit at someone, soften them a little and then finish them. Antibackpeddle mode goes on when you just show someone you have throwing weapons in your pockets :DDD.

throwing is broken AWESOME!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Chestaclese

• Earl
  • Renown: 340
  • Infamy: 106
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
« Reply #211 on: April 24, 2012, 08:18:12 am »
Ah if anything, throwing is viable. I love my throwing alt ^^. So good damage and then I just go slash the last of hp someone might have after I've throwing axed him :D. It's one of the rare cases where splitting wpf is really worth it.

I don't know if pure thrower is viable anymore but as I see it, throwing is only to support and give you an advantage before you enter the melee fight. Just throw shit at someone, soften them a little and then finish them. Antibackpeddle mode goes on when you just show someone you have throwing weapons in your pockets :DDD.

throwing is broken AWESOME!

Your axes don't do as much damage as you think. You would be better off dropping those points into iron flesh.
"Threatening Chesty with tea bagging is clearly not worth the effort. It is like offering sex addict an orgy." - BaleofGay.

"ILL OPEN MY GIFTS LATER MOM, IM BUSY FIGHTING CHESTACLES IN AN ONLINE HORSE SIMULATOR GAME." - Oprah Winafrey

“He's using everything he can to get me banned, admins please don't let him get away with this. He's ban baiting me, please help.” - Ducky_The_Banned

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 24, 2012, 09:43:56 am »
Your axes don't do as much damage as you think. You would be better off dropping those points into iron flesh.
If I'm oneshotting horses, two shotting light infantry and annoying (doing small damage and stunning) plate guys I think I'm pretty successful. Headshots are oneshot kills. Every time...

I don't know if you saw my build in the Lactose's throwing guide thread... I have 5 IF in my build and it should be just enough. 6 PS, 6PT, 6athletics and 6WM. 130 wpf throwing and 103 wpf 2h. Pretty solid build imo. It actually has some active wpf in throwing too... If I'd gone for bigger PT, I would have lost too much accuracy in the process I think...

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 24, 2012, 10:24:00 am »
If I'm oneshotting horses, two shotting light infantry and annoying (doing small damage and stunning) plate guys I think I'm pretty successful. Headshots are oneshot kills. Every time...

I don't know if you saw my build in the Lactose's throwing guide thread... I have 5 IF in my build and it should be just enough. 6 PS, 6PT, 6athletics and 6WM. 130 wpf throwing and 103 wpf 2h. Pretty solid build imo. It actually has some active wpf in throwing too... If I'd gone for bigger PT, I would have lost too much accuracy in the process I think...
I currently have 21/15 build, and no you wouldn't lost accuracy, but movement speed; which is essential for a thrower I see now. Because most of the everyone will be faster than you, even if they have heavy armor. Since throwing is something that requires you to be close to your enemies, but also requires you to get back as fast as possible. I personally wanted to try those throwing lances, so sticked with the build I have. But it has some flaws compared to your 18/18. First of all, you mainly use throwing as a side arm to your melee. Or you utilize them both effectively. But I have to use melee as a side arm to throwing, so my main bread and butter is throwing. Which makes me a pure thrower more often. Well those flaws are:

1-You have to rely on throwing. Well that's not a flaw actually, since it is an effective weapon if you are good at it. But against shielders, there is not much I can do. Yes, all throwing weapons have bonus to shields but that's simply not enough. Imagine you have to fight with a shielder with a build of 15/21, against your 21/15 throwing build. He has 7 athletics and 7 shield skill. So no matter what, he will catch you sooner or later.
So, battle begins. You started to throw some lances or heavy axes at him. Let's say you shot 3, and got succesful with your aiming because you are a good thrower but he blocked them with his shield. Now what? You have to engage him in melee with your, preferably 1 slot weapon. He has the upper hand now and you can't run away from him. If one of his teammate came to help, you are dead. Well now of course your teammate can come to help as well, but this leads us to the second disadvantage.
2-You are a support class and highly rely on your teammates. If your teammates are fucked, you are fucked no matter how good you are. A cavalry will just kill you in the battle, or someone will just stab you from the back, if you do not recieve enough support or your teammates die like flies. So no soloist guy.
If forces are evenly matched, you can support your team to the victory. Perhaps.
3-Horses. Yes you are meant to be a counter for horses, and you can be very good at it. But you are not enough by yourself. You most likely have only 1-2 shots against a good cav player, which is something not enough. They will just charge in, kill one of your teammates, and get away while they just sacrifice some of their horses' health for that kill. If there are no pikeman and archers in your team, you are simply not enough by yourself.

Well, these are my experiments with a non-loomed 21/15 thrower. I do not know, how +3 throwing weapons are. But throwing is something that includes you to look at ground and pick whatever you find to throw. So that should not be a very big issue after all. Yes throwing can be very effective, but not without a bit of help from the goddess of fortune.

Ok I see this is going to be a wall of text, but let me post my suggestions:
1-Make hard (pure) throwing a bit more effective against horses and shields. That's all I see as essential. This, and throwing is very fine. Yeah there is no 2, or 3. Just this.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 10:29:35 am by Ronin »
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #214 on: April 24, 2012, 10:27:34 am »
duh, its more dmg since your horse has NO armor to speak of.  typically have to be into like mail armor values 40+ for pierce to become more worth it

Not talking about my horse i am talking about myself, i always always get 1 shoted by all kind of throwing weapon if i charge into a thrower and think he is easy target.  i had +3 Mongol armor and +3 mail gauntlets and always get 1 shoted

Edit: Riding on a +3 Courser and +3 Destrier, throwing rely on speed bonus i guess, cuz if i am not moving i take like 1/3 damage from thrower, if i charge directly at thrower = 1 throw death
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 10:30:31 am by AlexTheDragon »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 24, 2012, 11:00:13 am »
+3
buff throwing hammers

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #216 on: April 25, 2012, 08:48:46 am »
+1
I'm starting to believe that the sacrifices linked to throwing are not worth the assets.

For anti-cavalry, throwing is fantastic.  It's a whole lot easier to veer off from a pikeman than it is to veer off from and completely avoid a thrown weapon.  Pikemen keep cav away.  Throwers kill cav.  (Pikemen kill reckless/lazy/careless/blind cav...)

And you can't get repeatedly bumped while trying to reload, like crossbows.

Archery is better but you have to make far more sacrifices.  "Hybrid thrower" is a lot more viable than "hybrid archer".

The only problem with throwing is that dedicated throwers get screwed.  Melee mode blows, there's no 2H melee mode throwing weapon and ammo count is terribly low.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 25, 2012, 09:08:28 am »
Ammo count is low, but I like it the way it is. You have to remember where you throw stuff so you can pick it up later on and throw again. Melee mode for throwing axes isn't really too bad, but hybridizing thrower is the most efficient thing to do.

2h mace or fighting axe or some other 2h mode 1slot weapons are good enough. I like fighting axe because together with throwing axes it really puts shielders against a wall. They must charge and play aggressively. Otherwise their shield is gone fast. When they go into berserk mode they usually do more mistakes, which is where I use my gained advantage and get hits in. Throwing has the potential to manipulate the mindset and the existing 1 vs. 1 mental game. You can easilly put some pressure into your opponent. It's really the trolling class at it's best.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #218 on: April 25, 2012, 01:44:16 pm »
So I made an STF pure thrower: 27/12 with 4WM and 9PT all wpf into throwing.
The accuracy is decent.

BUT, in the first hour of playing I noticed people tend to survive way too many heavy throwing axes. On multiple occasions, I hit someone wearing a heraldic mail with tabard 3 times (most in the chest, sometimes 1 in the leg) and they would just walk away with my throwing axes.
A strength build in a byrnie took 3 and walked away too.
Yes, they were all coming at me, cuz I got cleaved when I was standing around wondering why they were still alive.

Horses on the other hand all died in 1 hit.

Seems like I need to bring jarids at least to bring infantry down. HTA's are for killing archers and horses.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #219 on: April 25, 2012, 02:13:13 pm »
So I made an STF pure thrower: 27/12 with 4WM and 9PT all wpf into throwing.
The accuracy is decent.

BUT, in the first hour of playing I noticed people tend to survive way too many heavy throwing axes. On multiple occasions, I hit someone wearing a heraldic mail with tabard 3 times (most in the chest, sometimes 1 in the leg) and they would just walk away with my throwing axes.
A strength build in a byrnie took 3 and walked away too.
Yes, they were all coming at me, cuz I got cleaved when I was standing around wondering why they were still alive.

Horses on the other hand all died in 1 hit.

Seems like I need to bring jarids at least to bring infantry down. HTA's are for killing archers and horses.
You did that with the most OP throwing there is, heavy throwing axes.
Try using something less like war darts, franciscas, snowflakes,
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #220 on: April 25, 2012, 02:14:51 pm »
Loomed throwing weapons is a lot better tbh
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 25, 2012, 02:28:48 pm »
I was surprised how accurate throwing is really. Reticule is big but it seems like that doesn't matter at all. This was with 8 active wpf (138wpf - 130wpf for 10 PT).

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #222 on: April 25, 2012, 02:47:04 pm »
Javelin type throwing weapons go pretty straight, but axes and hammers suffer from inacuracy
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline djavo

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 120
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Salut
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HDZ_wing
  • Game nicks: Djavo
  • IRC nick: Kebab_Monteno
« Reply #223 on: April 25, 2012, 02:48:58 pm »
Throwing sucks, I cant kill anyone. Buff it.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 25, 2012, 03:06:31 pm »
Javelin type throwing weapons go pretty straight, but axes and hammers suffer from inacuracy

Don't know, I was pretty accurate with throwing hammers. Needs further testing!

There's also this other thing, even though hammers fly slower it's still easier to hit targets with them than with for example javelins or other piercing throws. It just seems that hammers/other non-piercing thrown weapons have a bigger hitbox.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 03:16:21 pm by Vibe »