Makes sense to me
10 (28.6%)
Brilliant
12 (34.3%)
Doesn't make sense to me
3 (8.6%)
Horrible idea
10 (28.6%)
Good idea but missile weapons should be less potent if you can't cover your entire body
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Shields and archers  (Read 2874 times)

Offline Old_Sir_Agor

• Baron
  • Renown: 85
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: DenBitre_Sir_Agor
Re: Shields and archers
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 09:44:35 pm »
to make it you shoud have something like leoking 9 shieldskill, just try make shielder with something like 5 shield and every 1 will shoot you in body not in shield, maybe you are just bad archer who cant aim?
shooting at people from a reachable place as last man standing is not delaying. Even if you're on the other side of the map.

Offline Ragni_Bross

• Knight
  • Renown: 69
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • "At the end of a smile there's a laugh and a half"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Militia
  • Game nicks: Militia_Iwarad
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 09:47:38 pm »
Well, the buckler is not that small, it covers my whole upper body (and in reality you can move it around a bit more than ingame, that is why there is the force field).

I made a video back then (i think this was with shield skill 6).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPO2Xri3js

You can move everything around but that does not make you able to catch arrows coming at your feet or your eyes if you're protecting your upper body. Again, Vikingr has it all right, you can protect whatever you're covering.

Offline Old_Sir_Agor

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 09:51:59 pm »
maybe for you would be better then go and play Vikingr?
shooting at people from a reachable place as last man standing is not delaying. Even if you're on the other side of the map.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 10:07:09 pm »
Ehm I'm a shielder myself. What I'm suggesting would decrease the efficiency of most shields. What were you saying again?

Shielder or not, what you're suggesting is a nerf. 

C-rpg has been nerf upon nerf.

Do you know what a daisy chain is?  If so, you'll know what I mean when I say c-rpg started with a nerf, and daisy chained into nerf upon nerf upon nerf.

two really easy to show examples:

make arrows go from cut to pierce damage (nerf), and then a lot of people start using plated armor, so much that people start complaining about plated armor.  So dev's decide to either make plated armor weigh more, or protect you less.  Or they make it so the 2h weapons are nerfed (the plated armor's preferred choice). 

Or recently they made pikes and long spears from 2 slots to 3 (nerf), and then a shit ton of people started riding around on horses.  Enough that people started making a lot of noise about how horses are overpowered.  C-rpg's normal stance would be to nerf horses then.  When the problem isn't horses being overpowered, it's that they weakened the natural defense to horses (long pointy sticks). 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:11:05 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2012, 02:14:46 am »
+1
to make it you shoud have something like leoking 9 shieldskill, just try make shielder with something like 5 shield and every 1 will shoot you in body not in shield, maybe you are just bad archer who cant aim?

Uhh maybe certainly you dont know how archery works and have know idea what you are talking about ?

Offline Old_Sir_Agor

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2012, 07:01:59 am »
im 12 gens xbowman) and i know how to shoot. And with higher shiled skill, shielder block miessles better, and on eu 1 just couple high agi shielders with bucklers.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 07:03:40 am by Sir_Agor »

Offline Ragni_Bross

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2012, 03:24:52 pm »
So what is it that people have against shields actually working like shields? What do you have against archers being able to hit your feet or your head if you're not covering them? Why do you insist on making board shields useless and obsolete? :P

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2012, 03:48:58 pm »
Ok, another try. Ingame you can only hold your shield in front of you, but in reality you have a bit larger movement radius.
Anyway, other ranged fighters are able to hit the person behind the smaller shields.
Maybe they know a trick.

PS: In vikingr you have fixed classes with fixed stats, so the fore field causes not that much trouble there.
In cRPG you can have a way higher shield-skill, which is the counter to ranged attacks. So i have invested a lot of points to catch some of the arrows with my 2x2 size buckler (this is a tiny metal plate on the backside on my glove, while the ingame model is more than ten times that large).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 04:10:50 pm by Mala »

Offline Ragni_Bross

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2012, 05:06:08 pm »
Ok, another try. Ingame you can only hold your shield in front of you, but in reality you have a bit larger movement radius.
Anyway, other ranged fighters are able to hit the person behind the smaller shields.
Maybe they know a trick.

PS: In vikingr you have fixed classes with fixed stats, so the fore field causes not that much trouble there.
In cRPG you can have a way higher shield-skill, which is the counter to ranged attacks. So i have invested a lot of points to catch some of the arrows with my 2x2 size buckler (this is a tiny metal plate on the backside on my glove, while the ingame model is more than ten times that large).

Not ten minutes ago I sent an arrow flying towards my opponent's feet. Through magic it attached itself to his shield that certainly did not cover his feet. I know you can move your shield around in real life, but catching arrows takes extreme reflexes. Catching several arrows coming at different body parts at the same time is impossible. I only suggest this because I'm sad that the larger and more cumbersome shields are useless. It would be nice with different shields for different situations, boards for battles, bucklers for duels, etc. I just think it's fucked up and weird that those with enough AGI get to catch every arrow coming at them with their bucklers AND get to block every incoming blow. Using a buckler effectively takes great skill, catching arrows with one is barely possible which is why it was never meant to be used that way.

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2012, 07:18:49 pm »
... I just think it's fucked up and weird that those with enough AGI get to catch every arrow coming at them with their bucklers AND get to block every incoming blow. ...

It is not every incoming hit.
And high agi comes with a price. More points in agility means less in strength, which leads to less damage and less hitpoints.

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2012, 10:16:01 pm »
I agree.
But i want entire crpg to be more like the vikinr way of fighting.
But that will never be done:(

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2012, 10:25:14 pm »
Also lol'd at BJORD coming in and playing mr. i'm a little sad man that trys to troll evrywhere i go, in fact i rather think he has that message playing in his head al day long : hey im bjord i cant deal with shit so i flame, hey im bjord i cant deal with shit so i flame . Litteraly mindfuckin himself and evryone around him thank godness im now the women that got that walking catastrophy coming out me.
ALSO going into discussion with him is like the paralympics you can win but you wil still be retard so any post coming after this by our hungarian fucktard is to be ignored.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2012, 11:19:44 pm »
I've always looked on shield skill as to how good you're at using your shield to full advantage. With the increasing 'forcefield' with higher shield skill I look at it as that the wielder gets better at moving his shield around to protect from melee strike and arrows.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline JuniorD

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2012, 12:34:08 am »
I've been ranting about this for a month now.  Stop nerfing everything.  C-rpg is nerf upon nerf upon nerf upon nerf. 

Tell the players to suck it up and learn how to counter a classes strengths, by exploiting their weaknesses.  It's called tactics.  If people are too retarded to use tactics to overcome an obstacle, that's their fault.  It doesn't mean something needs to be nerfed.

You, sir, are most likely retarded.

This is a medieval game. Everything should at least be partially real, otherwise there is no point. I don't fire arrows to fire at invisible walls. I fire them there to hit the target. You cannot tell me that a man can be in battle AND block an incoming arrow at once. If he can block an arrow with his tiny shield, I may as well be able to block them with full metal gauntlets. Hell, Mythbusters even has an episode on this. It is impossible.

Offline JuniorD

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2012, 12:36:05 am »
I've always looked on shield skill as to how good you're at using your shield to full advantage. With the increasing 'forcefield' with higher shield skill I look at it as that the wielder gets better at moving his shield around to protect from melee strike and arrows.

This is a medieval game. Everything should at least be partially real, otherwise there is no point. I don't fire arrows to fire at invisible walls. I fire them there to hit the target. You cannot tell me that a man can be in battle AND block an incoming arrow at once. If he can block an arrow with his tiny shield, I may as well be able to block them with full metal gauntlets. Hell, Mythbusters even has an episode on this. It is impossible.

I copied that from the above post. It is extremely hard to time these things whilst fighting, and guarding yourself against an object that is going 90+ miles an hour that is the same size as a quarter.

Also, most people are probably trolls but IDGAF. Point remains.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 12:37:16 am by JuniorD »