Author Topic: The future of range after latest range changes  (Read 5615 times)

Offline Old_Sir_Agor

• Baron
  • Renown: 85
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: DenBitre_Sir_Agor
Re: The future of range after latest range changes
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 12:12:16 am »
if they make this less dmg to the body thing, then remove rain penalty for ranged, because then if it is rain, you shoud just off the game, with this silly dmg, when melee still run fast in plate and have deadly hits)
shooting at people from a reachable place as last man standing is not delaying. Even if you're on the other side of the map.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 04:35:03 am »
+1
Just sit tight and wait it out.

Remember, we had many updates so far, and most had quick corrections, if something goes way over the top.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 10:02:44 pm »
I think this change, if implemented, will be meant to discourage ranged from playing "snipers."  Instead, ranged will stay closer to the melee, because headshots are easier at shorter distances.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 10:13:15 pm »
Or archers will take to stacking more str to ensure that the body shots they land actually do decent damage.
Turtles

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 02:29:06 am »
+1
My initial impression is that this will make cavalry more dominant. Archers and crossbowmen shoot at cavalry and kill horses. Reduced damage will make it harder to kill the horses, plus there will be fewer safe places to escape being lanced or bump-slashed. All maps will become more like random plains. Let's see if this actually happens.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 02:37:49 am »
I've noticed I've gotten more headshot kills now, so I suppose the damage buff did help there. Horn Bow, Barbed Arrows, 7PD, oneshot-headshot some guy with a mixed plate/chain helmet (not sure which one), normally takes 2+ for that gear.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 02:47:31 am »
Still don't one-hit kill with headshot from long bow and bodkins at short range (like 4-5 meters)
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Rogue_Eagle

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 07:53:17 am »
I think it is a stupid move also, even moreso because the damage reduction isnt reflected in the bow damage so I dont know how much I'm doing!

Offline Wraist

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 09:05:10 am »
How many arrows to kill a person now, assuming you never do any damage more than the target's need to kill health, and you only do/did body shots [if body shots are 67% damage now]:

1->2
2->3
3->5
4->6
5->8
6->9
7->11

If you over killed before, it might take less. Give it some time :|, although this does effect pure throwers the most since they have a much more limited amount of ammo. Although, I do think they should blanket nerf armor [I wear 8 armor unless I'm punching in which case I wear 17, so there is no bias there >.>]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 09:07:15 am by Wraist »

Offline dontgothere

• Count
  • Renown: 295
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: DONT_GO_THERE, ARTIEstrongestmanINTHEWORLD, WHERES_MY_CHIPPY, PINGAS, derpyhooves, George_Costanza
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 10:09:05 am »
This nerf is murder on dedicated throwers.   :cry:
What's worst about it is that everything felt perfect in the previous patches, as far as balance between ranged and melee went. Shielders 'beat' archers and throwers. Archers and throwers 'beat' cav and 2Hers.  Cav and 2Hers 'beat' shielders.  Isn't that balance?
The nerfs in this patch go too far for archers, and they shouldn't have been applied to throwers at all. Archery and throwing play completely differently and any kind of blanket tweak to both is hard to rationalize. Is this another case of the game being balanced around strat mode, to the detriment of siege/battle?

Artie has 10 Power Throw and uses balanced jarids with 43 pierce damage. Pre-patch, that meant 77 pierce damage. Sounds about right compared against the values for melee builds, who have the benefit of armor, possibly IF and/or shields, and weapons with unlimited uses and superior stats to the melee modes of throwing weapons.

Before this patch, I could reliably one-shot cloth, 1-2 shot leather, 2-3 shot mail, and 3-5 shot plate. There were exceptions; these are just averages.

Keeping in mind that I get only 12 jarids each time I spawn, if I give-up having any kind of melee weapon, this seemed pretty balanced to me. I did a lot of damage, but my running speed was kept low by STR and WPF requirements for my PT, meaning that, if I wasted jarids, I was a sitting duck, without any armor or powerstrike or even wpf in melee. As soon as I ran out of throwing weapons, I became a peasant. That's fair.

It now takes TWO balanced jarids (77 pierce w/ PT 10 remember) to kill someone with 55 HP in NO ARMOR.

For someone in medium-tier mail, the number goes up to 4-5 jarids.  Plate has become godlike.  That means that, best case scenario, I can get a maximum of about 3 kills each time I spawn, depending on how many jarids miss and what kind of enemies I come across. Sure I can make some headshots now and then, but at the kinds of ranges that make headshots more than a matter of chance, I only get one opportunity to throw before the enemy is on top of me, and when you're a pure thrower that means death. I can shoot from farther back, but then headshots are just luck.

Effectively, dedicated throwing is now broken, at least with the high-damage, low-ammo weapons.  I guess you could loom your throwing stones to MW and try for headshots, but it'll still take two of them to kill anybody besides peasants, and making more than two headshots is a feat with a ridiculously low probability.  If there wasn't the WPF requirement for PT, and if throwing weapons didn't have such low ammo, this nerf wouldn't have broken dedicated throwing - but after having played with those changes for a while, I think they were in the best interests of balance, and I'm glad they came along.

I thought that things were pretty well balanced before this patch.  Throwing felt right and archery felt right, and the only reason why anybody complained about them was just because there were so many people playing ranged, which has more to do with player preference/curiosity than with stats balance.

My vote is for all ranged to go back to how it was before this patch.  But, if the devs need to nerf something to get people to stop whining, then I think the changes in this patch should be nulled and the following implemented:

1) Increase repair costs for the best bows and arrows, or maybe even charge a repair cost based upon how many arrows an archer fires that don't do damage to an enemy player, their mounts or shields; that is, punish archers financially for being poor shots.  This would thin out the spam and lowered overall damage from archers by reserving the best equipment for the most talented players.

2) Lower damage done to shields by all bows except for Xbows and Longbow.

3) Make archers slower when they have their bows drawn. This forces them to find tactical positions and/or get support from teammates to be effective, which seems about right.

4) If you have to do something to throwing, why not pick on the hybrids instead of the dedicated throwers?  Reintroduce the multi-slot throwing weapons, but keep the final sum for a full loadout of four slots to the same as it is now. That way, hybrids can't go OP with the terrible troika of PS, PT and massive weapons/shields, but dedicated throwers can keep doing our thang.

In the end though, it's a free mod and the devs will have it the way they want it, and that's fine. But if there is a specific kind of gameplay that they're working towards, that breaks certain builds, then it's only fair to give the players with those builds some kind of heads-up or free re-do so that they haven't wasted all their XP, gold and looms.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 02:37:44 pm by dontgothere »

Offline pOLLACABALLO

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: mERCENARIES
  • Game nicks: pOLLACABALLO
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 10:22:32 am »
lol? this happens in every multiplayer game, The guys who play infantry or cav, say to nerf ranged, the guys in ranged telling to nerf cavs and armored guys, the guys with 2h say nerf the ninjaness of 1h, and 1h, well they have a shield to hide from things. Thats it.

Please dont mess the mod/game cuz of whinners. Please.

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 11:20:13 am »
lol? this happens in every multiplayer game, The guys who play infantry or cav, say to nerf ranged, the guys in ranged telling to nerf cavs and armored guys, the guys with 2h say nerf the ninjaness of 1h, and 1h, well they have a shield to hide from things. Thats it.

Please dont mess the mod/game cuz of whinners. Please.

Too late, they always did and they will always do

Offline Nightingale

• Balancer
  • Renown: 925
  • Infamy: 205
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Elderly Woman
  • IRC nick: Nightingale
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2012, 11:47:23 am »
+2
I agree with Artie, The patch made it Nearly useless for him to even spawn.

My problem is simple if your gonna make the Arbalest Unable to kill peasants.. why not just remove it as a weapon and give me my loom points back or somethin 1.5 million gold and ill hand it over, that would be nice. But  I know that isn't gonna happen...

Reload time 30 seconds for  a weapon that cant do any good damage... How am i suppose to trade this on the market... or sell it Who wants my piece of shit weapon for a okay 1 so i can make money on it and get the weapon I want any takers of course not... I never complain about being 1 shot by 2 handed swordsmen/polearms? which they can still do

id like to know which sword does 100 pierce damage Because i find that they do more damage with weapons that do 40 cut then i can do with my 100 pierce weapon

You know i think they should just make All weapons do 1 damage. And buff armor to have 5000 that way No one will ever complain because No one will ever die problem solved   :wink:

Fix my arbalest! Please i dont like Shooting Frug 3 times while he is naked  :cry:

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2012, 12:50:44 pm »
You know, that it is the same with all bows, crossbows and throwing weapons now? At least request a change for others, too

Offline pOLLACABALLO

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: mERCENARIES
  • Game nicks: pOLLACABALLO
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2012, 02:46:32 pm »
You know, that it is the same with all bows, crossbows and throwing weapons now? At least request a change for others, too

For me, this update is ok, because I aim the head, as a bowman. But what i dont understand is the 20guys who are the elite players from crpg, they decide the fait of everyone cuz they whinne like chihuahuas, and what happens when this guys complain about their own necesities... broken mod,..

Im always complaining about ez-mode-w+x-cav just aiming guys from behind (but i did manage to be paranoid to watch behind every 2secs, its like am ive this "idontknowthename" sickness). Then killing afk just like in full speed cuz the other cav is going to grab that kills.., if you want to be respetable, work in team, dont be the evil guy from the movie all the damn time. Being in the top of the quali dosnt make you respetable. am out
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 02:55:04 pm by yneoz »