Author Topic: Tips, Tactics, Formation, Teamplay & Leadership (Guide)  (Read 5668 times)

Offline Malevolent_Warlord

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Warlords_Axeman, Warlords_Archer, Warlords_Torturer, Warlords_Skirmisher, Warlords_Infantry
Tips, Tactics, Formation, Teamplay & Leadership (Guide)
« on: January 05, 2011, 01:39:15 am »
+1
Creator: Malevolent_Warlord, Warlords_UnGodly_Huscarl, Warlords_Heathen_Archer, Warlords_Blessed_Torturer

There are no set formations, tactics, plans or anything so this is an attempt to create something "standard". At the moment the standard is mindless charge.
Threads idea is to discuss tips, tactics, formations and commanding in a simple way in order to get us some good games and move away from the mindless grind.
I have tried to keep all text short and include pictures to get u interested. Pictures are on the last spoilers.
Please include constructive comments about the topic and not turn into flame/nerfwar.

A request to Cmp or Chazd or who ever has the power. Could u sticky this thread or create a new sticky thread like "Teamplay and tactics" so that way mine or Jokers thread don't get sucked into the deepest hell of all-nerf-threads and get lost. It would be a step forward in making people play better and community getting something new and moving the game closer to what its supposed to be.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

“Hitpoints & damage vs kill”-theory
(click to show/hide)

Fear (new)
(click to show/hide)

Teamwork
(click to show/hide)

Weapons
(click to show/hide)

Tactics
(click to show/hide)

Shieldwall
(click to show/hide)

Commanding
(click to show/hide)

Good and bad sides of a fighter
(click to show/hide)

Now to pictures. Find ur place in the formations. Hopefully units are easy to understand.

Common Mistakes

Common Mistakes: Crushed under determined attack

Cavalry
(click to show/hide)

Infantry
(click to show/hide)

Formation commanded by flagbearer
(click to show/hide)
MP nicks: Malevolent_Warlord, Warlords_Axeman, Warlords_Archer, Warlords_Torturer, Warlords_Skirmisher, Warlords_Infantry, Warlords_Clibanarii

Those who are interested in tactics and tips: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,225.0.html

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
Re: Tips, Tactics, Formation, Teamplay & Leadership (Guide)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 05:59:37 pm »
+1
thanks for the guide

Leecher trying to suck XP (OK for peasants, not for tincans)
no not ok for peasants either, interrupting a 2h in his swing by throwing a stone can save a life of our own and if lucky even gets him a kill.
Pitchforks can stop cav and backstab another ennemy who thinks you are a low threat.
Everyone has a role to play.

i would also add a seperate point "battle awarness"
if you see another one bringing up his shield he might have spoted a threat. Look/zoom in that direction. Same goes if someone with a pike is running towards your position, meaning cav inc.  Listen, to determin the direction of inc horses. Bring up your shield turn arround, sidestep.
Archers get backstabed all the time. They are only in zoom and dont care for their direct sorrounding. They got ninjad  or plainly sorrounded while they concentrate on another target far away.

Additional to shieldwalls. In the start of a battle they block a clear shot for archers. I tried often to give cover for archers but they just moved to the side. So either if we got allready a higher position then the shieldwall can go downward some steps or if in the plain fields or approching higher ground they are dircetly behind the archers till enemy inf comes close to dangerous range to overwhelm the archers. Those thrn need quickly to back off and the shield wall comes into place.

Press C to select your battallion.
Isn't "C" occupied by the charecter sreen, since patch .200?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 06:07:05 pm by kinngrimm »
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Serth

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Serth
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 12:47:20 pm »
It got changed from c to p

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 02:50:11 pm »
You should take into account spearmen. They most often fight just as another infantry units. Few however take their role more seriously me included. Whenever I play I make it a point to cover the rear and watch the flanks. There is always some cavalry or ninja trying to sneak up from behind or hit the weak flanks. What most disappoints me about 'teamwork' is that rarely you see people who take that role seriously. I understand that the best fighting etc. is made up in the front but if enemy sneaks from behind especially against weaker inf and archers they can rape your whole team. I dont care about the fun fights up front, I care that my team wins.
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 03:40:18 pm »
You should take into account spearmen. They most often fight just as another infantry units ...
 but if enemy sneaks from behind especially against weaker inf and archers they can rape your whole team. I dont care about the fun fights up front, I care that my team wins.
To protect from cav a spearman is a wise choice, since i started a month ago, i got bumped, tramplet, shot, speared, sliced, and many more by cav. It was allways my wish to be able to handle those. With my 1h/shield character,  i started to carry a pike 2 weeks ago, which was a major breakthrough  for me and now i use a bamboo spear which goes nicely with the shield. In some maps Archers tend to stand in the open and shoot and forget that the head of the army is advancing, so they become singeld out, following cavs picking them up. If i notice that, especially if i got late into battle, i cover them from cav or i give them a friendly footkick so they notice perhaps that it is time to move on.
Protection from Ninjas is a another story, as i am not good at all in blocking without my shield, i wouldn't use a spear against a ninja but a fast 1h sword. Which one is due to personal preferences, it just has to be fast.
Pure hoplite style players have to be in a group with other hoplites i guess, if you didn't yet read it, have a look at Socrates Guide on Spears and Shields
http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,104.0.html
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 03:43:04 pm by kinngrimm »
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 03:52:39 pm »
A shield wall is actually a great opening tactic. Even if you don't hold it longer than a minute into the round, infantry advancing together with shields held up, 2 handers and archers marching behind really will help your team. If you don't believe me, try it. Gather all your shielders at the front together, at the round start. Watch how quickly arrows begin to fill your shields, along with bolts and javelins/darts. Those are the arrows/bolts/etc that aren't making your 2 hander friends careers way too short.

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Warlords_Axeman, Warlords_Archer, Warlords_Torturer, Warlords_Skirmisher, Warlords_Infantry
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 12:08:20 am »
This thread maybe slightly outdated. New patch has changed things as we know, but the principles of combat have not changed.

- We have more teamwork among people, but we also have more solo players sometimes.
- Tactics are much more important now since one doesn't have to be in the big group.
- Many players get seperated from the group while doing solo and these guys can be easily outnumbered and taken out without casualties.
- One thing has not changed... people still start the round by running into a direction like a headless chicken.

One very IMPORTANT thing players need to learn is personal safety, defence and survival skills.
- I have found out that armor is no longer the saviour that it used to be.
- I use lamellar vests that and leather boots/gloves. They make me light and give me just as much protection as heavier armor and I don't lose wpf because of weight.
- I keep my shield (block) up at all times.
- I work with teammates who increase my safety.
- Rather than fighting too long against some turtle I disengage often to get check my surroundings and try not to get isolated.
- Many players have the straight forward attitude and often get to make a few hits against a shield before they are cut down.

Practise ur situational awareness. Practise ur personal skills. Don't rely on spam. Stick with the formation rather than go solo and hunt someone, don't get isolated.
I often find myself among the last people alive in my team and with a good Kills/Deaths ratio.
Staying alive is the most important thing. I get to play more, get more kills and I'm a valuable teammember.
Dead people don't swing. Every death is result of a mistake... I often just get outnumbered when all teammates are dead  :D
MP nicks: Malevolent_Warlord, Warlords_Axeman, Warlords_Archer, Warlords_Torturer, Warlords_Skirmisher, Warlords_Infantry, Warlords_Clibanarii

Those who are interested in tactics and tips: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,225.0.html

Offline sami1337

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 05:25:46 pm »
keeping your shield up at all times is dumb.
One of the reasons of getting a large shield (huscarl) is because it covers your side pretty well when you're not using it. This allows shielders to effectively push against the flanks of enemies without having to stop running (cant run sideways), and it makes archers believe you're a good target because your shield is down (archers tend to avoid shooting shielders).

In short, running with shield down allows you to mess up their defense.

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 02:26:12 am »
True. It is a question of protection vs speed.
I prefer protection and survivability. Huscarl shield offers excellent protection, but it is heavy and u move slowly. Lighter "cavalry" shields around 5kg give good protection, but with them u can move much faster than with a huscarl shield.

I keep my shield up when enemies are near. I have to many times found out that lowering my shield has been the end of my round. Now with much more throwing players I really need to keep up my shield.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 02:28:12 am by Malevolent_Warlord »

Offline isatis

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ink+water showing their true potential!
    • View Profile
    • le Clan des Cochons!
  • Faction: Le clan des Cochons!!
  • Game nicks: Cochon_Furtif_Isatis
  • IRC nick: Isatis
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 03:33:59 am »
still very up to date even if it is one year old!

+1!

if possible, please put this in the guide section (it's a guide after all!)
So the new response to ranged ragers is not "get a shield", it is "learn to chamber ranged nub!"

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 06:49:45 am »
Doesn't mention 2h cav, clearly OP has no understanding of cRPG.
Turtles

Offline Muunilinst

• Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 120
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems
  • Game nicks: Renovatio
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 11:11:27 am »
lets be serious thing like formations and other kind of intelligence will never happen sadly.
also i thinkformations and stuff arent that effective in crpg :S

Offline Kekn

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 11:50:03 am »
They weren't in native either. Shield wall? Seriously, some have watched too many movies like 300!

Cohesion, yes, this is the key, but is that equal to shield wall? NO! What you get from a shield wall is mindless and passive holding of right mouse button and you are completely open for flanking archers, which btw is a lot better here due to the reduction of the force field of the shield.

Movement is the key! Make it harder for archers or to hit anything when moving as a group. Even if you stand next to the flag carrier, don't fall in a formation! Formations are rigid, and you need to be flexible as a team.

Same goes for charging, stay with your team mates and go for backstabs. If you are fighting a brilliant fighter alone or 2 other enemies at once, go find another target ffs, you're not freakin Leroy Jenkins! Don't stay too long in the front row, with time you lose awareness, not only for the situation, but you lose focus and WILL get hit eventually without concentration. Suddenly you will miss that pike behind the great hammer. So once in a while you should step back a few seconds. Look around, where are your mates (all dead? => RUN ffs), where is the enemy (are they flanking? => go meet them instead). Decide where you are needed the most.

Offline isatis

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ink+water showing their true potential!
    • View Profile
    • le Clan des Cochons!
  • Faction: Le clan des Cochons!!
  • Game nicks: Cochon_Furtif_Isatis
  • IRC nick: Isatis
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 03:07:16 pm »
Doesn't mention 2h cav, clearly OP has no understanding of cRPG.

one day Casimir, you'll have to understand we got to keep 2h cav a secret thing! imagine everyone going in this OP built???? that will result in a NERF!

you got to keep silence!
So the new response to ranged ragers is not "get a shield", it is "learn to chamber ranged nub!"

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 06:43:33 pm »
I always appreciate having you on the same team as me, malevolent warlord, because you support aggressive players like me and it means a big difference.

When im playing smart I dont charge at the beginning, not caring whether the team follows or not but on those occasions where I do and there's at least 1 guy with me it can make the difference between win and fail.

Regarding fear;

I think there's less and less players who are fearful nowadays, or maybe im just a weaker fighter than I used to be? The group fear thing is still prevalent though and few people want to be the first to die.

If a player is willing to go first though, you should really support them and help them out, unless they are certain to die before you can reach them. I would always try to help a team mate out who is outnumbered and it can quite often result in my death but if I can get there in time it often makes a difference too.

Maybe Im wrong but I really believe that kind of stuff helps and even if it doesnt work that round, Im always grateful for players who support me or who are aggressive and put themselves at risk for the team.

Some of my fondest warband memories are when a group of aggressive players just charge and we cleave our way through the whole enemy team.

Ive even seen one team kill 40 enemies with just 1 casualty before now.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 06:44:39 pm by RandomDude »