Author Topic: Reworked skill and attribute system - yes, yet another Joker-suggestion  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
Hi there!

I made a suggestion in the "Is EU1 still fun"-topic, and I reworked it a bit and that's the result:

I don't know how much the following idea would go against the principle of cRPG for free character development, but how about changing the character skill system in the following way:

Next to strength and agility you get three more attributes, I will just call them Blue Blood (BB), Hawk Eye (HE) and Heavy Grunt (HG).

Now let's watch the skills (the numbers in the brackets show the relation between the skills and the corresponding attribute)

Agility:

- athletics (1/4)
- riding (1/4)
- shield (1/4)
- horse archery (1/4)
- weapon master (1/4)

Strength:

- Iron Flesh (1/4)
- Power Strike (1/4)
- Power Draw (1/4)
- Power Throw (1/4)

As you see, except of the relation (One skill point each four attribute points) of the needed skills nothing changes here.

Next to this you have the choice of unlocking ONE of the following skill trees for your character:

Blue Blood

- Dressage Riding (1/3) [Riding Skill]
- Jousting (1/3) [Weapon Master]
- Melee training (1/3) [Power Strike]
- Defense (1/3) [Shield Skill]

Hawk Eye

- Strong Back (1/3) [Power Draw]
- Strong Shoulders (1/3) [Power Throw]
- Marksman (1/3)[Weapon Master]

Heavy Grunt

- Strong Right Arm (1/2) [Power Strike]
- Strong Feet (1/3) [Athletics]
- Strong Body (1/2) [Ironflesh]
- Strong Left Arm (1/2) [Shield Skill]
- Experienced Warrior (1/3) [Weapon Master]

As you can see some skills have received different names, but remain actually the same. Concerning the attributes all new attributes count as "Strength".

Technically it's easy:

The skills ingame remain the same. Only the skill screen on your character page gets some kind of "mask", and you can only change your skills via this mask.

Same skills and attributes get added. This means someone with Strength 6, Heavy Grunt 9, Iron Flesh 2 and Strong Body 4 has 15 stregth (important for weapon difficulties) ingame and Iron Flesh 6.

I don't think that this suggestion would be difficult to implement, as all you need to change for distributing the character points would be a new website. This way it doesn't matter if you have 4 buttons to increase weapon master, once you pressed one of them your ingame character gets one additional point every time, never mind which button you actually press.

The only exception of these rather simple changes would be the "Hawk Eye" attribute. You need two points of HE to get a strength point ingame. This way you prevent archers of using too heavy and powerful melee weapons. And - although I am not sure about this - if it's still the native system that every point in strength grants one hitpoint, archers would be a bit weaker and vulnerable, which fits well into the glass cannon role they should have.

The Idea behind this is to limit the access to skills you class doesn't need really, and also balancing the different amounts of skills some classes need to work properly. But as you can see by the good relation of attribute points to increase some skills in the Heavy Grunt tree, the main idea behind this suggestion is to make infantry more appealing than it is right now. Because I think that archers aren't that OP, but a lot of players are perhaps "intimidated" by the (player-)skills they assume they need to be a good infantryman they choose the "easier" classes ("I need only to aim an shoot/I need only to ride by and stab"). With making infantry a bit tougher and significantly deadlier in melee than the other two classes, you could perhaps increase infantry population. Nerfing the archers a (little!) bit by lowering their strength value will hopefully make more archers than cavalrymen change to infantry.

Please don't hang yourself up on some values I used here, it's just a basic suggestion, which was only meant to show the direction you could go to balance things out on the servers.

Please tell me how you like this, and if you think this could help balancing things out.

P.S.: I know the new skill and attribute names are retarded. I was too lazy to create some proper ones  :P
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Reworked skill and attribute system - yes, yet another Joker-suggestion
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 08:41:21 am »
Just give it up. Even if your suggestions were the best solutions to all the problems cRPG has, the dev team will never listen (for some reason, maybe time, maybe lazyness... doesn't matter). Just don't lose your time.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 08:45:25 am »
no, not another Joker suggestion :(

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 11:20:23 am »
Just give it up. Even if your suggestions were the best solutions to all the problems cRPG has, the dev team will never listen (for some reason, maybe time, maybe lazyness... doesn't matter). Just don't lose your time.

:mrgreen:

Who knows. Perhaps one day I will land a lucky hit...  :?:

Although to me the devs wouldn't listen, anyway, as I already instulted them a hundred times to be lazy (about writing), incredibly arrogant, incapable trolls. Which they are. Hundred and one times.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 03:42:26 pm »
tl;dr
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Stabby_Dave

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Stabby_Dave, Squelch, Dave_The_Longbowman, Faggy_Dave
  • IRC nick: Stabby
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 08:05:44 pm »
:mrgreen:

Who knows. Perhaps one day I will land a lucky hit...  :?:

Although to me the devs wouldn't listen, anyway, as I already instulted them a hundred times to be lazy (about writing), incredibly arrogant, incapable trolls. Which they are. Hundred and one times.

Your attitude will certainly win them over to your point of view.

Offline PanPan

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 70
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 08:18:50 pm »
I actually Like the idea rework it a bit more and then i'll do fine... But I think chadz would never add this idea...

Offline Black Wind

• Whiner
  • Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 185
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PK
  • Game nicks: PK_IncrediblySkillful, The Right arm of the guy with 13 PC's that is PK
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 10:07:30 am »
Want skill trees? Then fuck off to WoW. Enough said, don't post retarded shit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Here in PK, we're better than you! And we know it.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 04:46:37 am »
+1
Want skill trees? Then fuck off to WoW. Enough said, don't post retarded shit.

Skill tree was probably the wrong word. Though it's still as far away from WoW as possible. Actually everything stays the same, all you do is to choose where you get your skills "cheaper" from, and where it is more expensive.

But your ignorance, hostility and missing argumentation disqualify you from any further discussion, anyway.  :?

Offline Ujio

• Knight
  • Renown: 70
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 05:05:23 pm »
Interesting idea

"By protecting Men, you save yourself."