Author Topic: Teamplay, how can we resurrect it?  (Read 10998 times)

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
Re: Teamplay, how can we resurrect it?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 07:50:13 pm »
+1
We can't, res is on cooldown, 2000 years and 241 days to go.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 07:58:05 pm »
How about a "pub teamplayers" banner you use. People without a clan can indicate they want to team play by using the same banner. Maybe too many different clans with different banners doing their own thing
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 08:15:10 pm »
Not sure what you are expecting from pub games and it might be different on NA1 but I have seen some coordination for the most part even if it is loosely coordinated. Lines do form and I know I personally try to hold any line openings that may occur so that the guy to my left and right don't end up with their back exposed and on the contrary when I see an opening I do my best to break the enemy line and whatever ranks they have going on.

This game might be more team oriented if the mechanics somehow allowed for it. Lines form but as it is now I really don't want to get to close to the guy next to me with the glaive, german lightsabre, or whatever they may be carrying and I'm always wary of trying to help out in a melee fight because my timing is suspect and sometimes I either end up slashing my team mate in the back because I think the enemy is going to charge past them at the wrong time or I get slashed in the face because the enemy charged past my team mate and I was being complacent and I'm getting old and my reflexes are failing.

I am actually being team-minded when I hang back and act as a quasi rear-guard or charge into an enemy blob and then backpedal trying to thin out the herd for the main force to eat away stragglers.
And how!

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2011, 08:50:43 pm »
The whole gameplay caters the individual. Even if that wasn't the case, developers made it so it is. Every class is designed so they can function individually, otherwise we call it underpowered.

I still think the implementation of earlier active attacks was nerf to teamplay and that it made the combat even more individual. If you fight in a group you get your swings stuck in your teammates, also the degree of teamhitting increased. I like to fight on my own, you know what you can do, you can count on yourself, no surprises. With teammates at your back unexpected teamhits can really mess up your day.

The whole gameplay should be changed to get some teamplay going. But the first step that may lead to awesomeness is ofcourse open maps. I recently learned how to make maps and if I have more time I'll make a few open maps. If other mapmakers do that too we might get somewhere.

Also, the old xp system required you to stick with your teammates, although you might say it created stale battles, with two big blobs crashing into eachother, I still think that was better than we have now. Maybe come up with some sweet xp system that combines what we now have with what we had back then. So base xp but also a bonus for staying close to people that kill. (rather than people that are killed, so ranged can stick together far away and still get xp)

We need another one of these:
http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,8764.0.html

Was some great teamplay in there.
This, this was awesome. Might also help to wipe out the dirty stain that strategus leaves on sportsmanship and clan relations.

Oh and also, I like running around with a banner and flanking with some peeps, but the banner is huge and I cant fight at all with that thing in my screen, can't they be made transparent or invisible for the person carrying it? Basically this limits the usage of flags to shielders, because manual blocking is dirthard with a flag.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 08:59:46 pm by SgtTeeh »

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 09:03:09 pm »
+2
Remove scoreboard.

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 09:07:41 pm »

1. More random plains, or perhaps premade maps that are like plains.
This will gradually teach the players to stick together. Teach them not to run after cav.. (I facepalm everyday when I see this too much.)  The amount of cover and roofcamping in the village maps encourages xbow static play, invites cav to come around corners for the sudden insta-death couch or lancing or headslashing,

2. Somehow appoint some players to leaders. Give them a new color text. (like admins, but other color)
Perhaps every player can get this text if they are at least gen5, and let the 2 best W:L ratio player on the team get it. W:L ratio could be a good tool to find true teamplayers and promote people taking charge and leading with success.

4. Nerf/Change how xbows work.
Make them more mobile, by making faster reload times, nerfing damage. Xbows promote a camping, sniping individualist gameplay where it's SHOOT, HIDE, SHOOT, HIDE. And it works wonderful for the players playing like this. This is not teamplay.

6. Add synchronised walk speed.
One of the biggest problems maneuvering random groups on the battlefield is different run speeds. The team always reach the other team spread out. I believe if everyone had the same walk speed, one could keep better formations and keep people together.

1.  No

2. No

4. No

6. No

?  What's up with these suggestions?

Xbows are already fast enough and compared to realism they are way too fast.

You think people in reallife always run at same speed?^^

Some players as leaders??  Jeez don't we have enough little boys who consider themselves as supermegaepic? You want to create more of these? o.O   Btw, who should decide who becomes a "leader" ?  And why do you think people would follow them? What makes a leader is how he shows himself on the server and that he makes people follow him by actions, not by any granted leadership.
Some people often managed to get people behind them, but it seems they don't want anymore, as people are either too stupid for that or because they always "stone" that person afterwards with words...

Random plains totally suck and are actually just supporting cav....You can fight perfectly in a team in villages. All that's needed is teamplay :D :D  Which we actually lack heavily, I agree on that :/

Offline SoA_Sir_ODHarry

• Baron
  • Renown: 134
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ODharry
Crob: i'm in duel tryin to not be shit
Crob: now i'm running round eu2 with a dagger

JOIN The Horde NAO
       http://steamcommunity.com/groups/F-POC

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 09:16:58 pm »
+1
Random plains totally suck and are actually just supporting cav....You can fight perfectly in a team in villages. All that's needed is teamplay :D :D  Which we actually lack heavily, I agree on that :/
Random plains good for cav? Two teams camp a hill, the cav go fight eachother or charge foolish at the infantry and die. After two minutes no cavalry are left, except one or two with brains.

Open battle maps make infantry, archers and cav vulnerable, forcing people to stick together and think about their team. Village maps give infantry and archers enough cover to not care about their teammates and go rambo.

Offline SoA_Sir_ODHarry

• Baron
  • Renown: 134
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ODharry
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2011, 09:25:35 pm »
i think u only can force teamplay a bit through rewards
The xp/gold amount of multipliers could be  decreased and replaced through bonuses u gain if u achieve goals.
This Goals need to be important too win the Round and so get the higer multiplier
If u wanna get random peopel work together there must be a reward in for them otherwise they probably not giva shit.
Crob: i'm in duel tryin to not be shit
Crob: now i'm running round eu2 with a dagger

JOIN The Horde NAO
       http://steamcommunity.com/groups/F-POC

Offline Lansamur

• Count
  • Renown: 232
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lansamur, The_Prisoner,Beer_Storage, Carebear_Ravenei
  • IRC nick: Lansamur
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 09:29:28 pm »
Isn't it ironic that a NINJA complains about the lack of teamplay :D (kiddin!)

This.

I've been lacking in my works of commandeering anyways and I need to freshen up on it. I might give it another try at some point the next weeks, cause when I did some months back, it worked after some rounds when people got used to it and the majority of the team followed the orders as soon as they saw they actually won with that. You just need patience and stamina to push through the first rounds of retardation.
[22:17] <@chadz> congratz cmpxchg8b, you managed to put 995 errors into the item sheet!
[22:17] <@cmpxchg8b> epic winning
[22:17] <@cmpxchg8b> beat that Fasader

Offline Ohayashi

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Red Lotus
  • Game nicks: RL_Umamawari_Fuchs
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2011, 09:38:47 pm »
+1
You think people in reallife always run at same speed?^^

No, but you're sure as hell going to match the speed of your comrades if in formation.
If it kills me, it's OP.

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2011, 10:13:07 pm »
Dosnt Mount and Musket have a marching sped when you hold down shift.

Offline Shadowren

• Count
  • Renown: 255
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player
  • It isnt sufficient that I succeed-others must fail
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shadowren_ATS
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2011, 10:20:46 pm »
1. More random plains, or perhaps premade maps that are like plains.
This will gradually teach the players to stick together. Teach them not to run after cav.. (I facepalm everyday when I see this too much.)  The amount of cover and roofcamping in the village maps encourages xbow static play, invites cav to come around corners for the sudden insta-death couch or lancing or headslashing,

2. Somehow appoint some players to leaders. Give them a new color text. (like admins, but other color)
Perhaps every player can get this text if they are at least gen5, and let the 2 best W:L ratio player on the team get it. W:L ratio could be a good tool to find true teamplayers and promote people taking charge and leading with success.

3. Let us buy banners as a kind of polearm.
The system we have about joining groups etc works only halfway. Few people join battalions and even fewer actually use them.. They are too "free" in my opinion. Someone seeing themselves, or getting appointed to be banner bearer by admin would care more about their "Job". Even the ones following and protecting that player. Perhaps loosing or keeping a banner would have some kind of effect like Valour for the people around it, or Valour for the one that takes it.

4. Nerf/Change how xbows work.
Make them more mobile, by making faster reload times, nerfing damage. Xbows promote a camping, sniping individualist gameplay where it's SHOOT, HIDE, SHOOT, HIDE. And it works wonderful for the players playing like this. This is not teamplay.

5. Change Cav to be a less individualistic class.
Cav has one of the most powerful teamplay mechanics/tricks available. Bump + lance, but it's very rarely used consciously because they DON'T HAVE TO! They do too well by just running around in a mess. Again relying on individual skill.

6. Add synchronised walk speed.
One of the biggest problems maneuvering random groups on the battlefield is different run speeds. The team always reach the other team spread out. I believe if everyone had the same walk speed, one could keep better formations and keep people together.

1.Random plains are really annoying now. why would you want more?? It's nothing more than cav and archer heaven.

2.That's what clans are for.

3.I like the idea but, you should add some type of bonus to go with it like extra defense or attack power for your team when your holding it.

4.They work just fine and there good for strat for people that don't use bow.

5.Team play with cav is only really good in strat if used correctly, when in C-rpg its a completely different story.

6.That's a good idea but if and only if you would add some type of running/sprint button.Because if you didn't the idea of having any type of agility build in game  would be useless.Or if there was some type of marching button added.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 10:22:41 pm by Shadowren »

Away with you, vile beggar.

Offline Ohayashi

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Red Lotus
  • Game nicks: RL_Umamawari_Fuchs
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2011, 10:20:57 pm »
Dosnt Mount and Musket have a marching sped when you hold down shift.

That's standard zoom-slow down. All of MM's infantry have the same run speed, to obviously facilitate moving in formation. 
If it kills me, it's OP.

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2011, 11:04:26 pm »
I've seen a few amazing line battle videos from Mount & Musket (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dpzrLNQboo&list=PLBB7F962DD82E9084&index=1&feature=plpp_video) and of course I would like to see something similar on cRPG too. But I have to admit that I haven't seen real line battles during Mount&Musket battles on my own. There still is more teamwork than here as you can't do much as a single warrior.

But there are huge differences between M&M and cRPG:
- some kind of ranks you select with the class
- no individualism, everything wears the same gear and uniform, you can only select between a few classes
- ranged attacks are very very inaccurate and take a long time to reload: I really would like to see that on cRPG, as it would force archers to stick together to do any harm and it makes them very vulnerable in close combat
- you almost ever die from the first hit (ranged or close combat)
- almost no cav

I really would like to see more teamplay on cRPG but I believe the current system just isn't made for it. I like the individual system, but it tends to make a few players overpowered (the topscorers) where the rest just dies somewhere unnoticed.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 11:06:36 pm by dodnet »
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)