Author Topic: Buff arrow velocity  (Read 3339 times)

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
Re: Buff arrow velocity
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 01:18:55 pm »
+2
So and where comes wpf in your system?

What you suggest is that powerdraw is increasing the time you can aim AND your drawspeed. This is ridiculous.

Drawing your bow stronger doesn't make you a more accurate archer :/

Actually it makes your shots harder.

WPF controls the minimum size of the reticule.  PD just controls how quickly it gets to that minimum and how long it stays there.  If you have lots of PD and 1 wpf then you'll just be able to hold your really bad aim for a long time, which is a little pointless.  Wpf will also still be effected by armour as it is now.

I didn't mention wpf in my suggestion because it isn't changing.  Figured that would be obvious but i stand corrected

And I don't think you would be able to hold it longer, because the more you draw, the faster your are exhausted from drawing it ;)

Maybe you should think about what you just wrote here.  Are you telling me that you can't take a kids toy bow with a 2 lb draw (random guess :D) and stand there for 5 minutes without getting tired?  The whole point of this changed system is that the in game bows are always the same draw weight, they don't magically add 20lbs to the weight just because you have extra PD.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 01:26:30 pm by Tomas »

Offline _Sebastian_

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • Lazy Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Bad Bug Busters
  • Faction: Flat-Earth Reptilian
  • Game nicks: Fenris_Sebastian
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 01:52:44 pm »
What you suggest is that powerdraw is increasing the time you can aim AND your drawspeed. This is ridiculous.
At the moment PD over 5 is balanced in the opposite way.
PD reduces your wpf, so it decreases the accuracy, the drawspeed and the aimtime.

But I dont want to invest my skillpoints to get any disadvantages.
PD shouldn't reduce my wpf, but it also shouldn't rise wpf.

I hope the devs will rebalance PD like PS(it doesn't reduce wpf),
because its unfair the way it is.

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 02:20:14 pm »

PD shouldn't reduce my wpf, but it also shouldn't rise wpf.

I think archery would get a megabuff if not for the reduce of wpf, but maybe it could be slightly less?

Having PD not reducing any wpf would result in 100 of 8-9 pd archers with about 5 weaponsmaster being as accurate as a guy with 7 or 8 wm :/

Offline _Sebastian_

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Lazy Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Bad Bug Busters
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 03:19:44 pm »
+1
Quote from: Gisbert_of_Thuringia
I think archery would get a megabuff if not for the reduce of wpf, but maybe it could be slightly less?
A megabuff?
...how could it be a buff if the accuracy stays like it was with less PD?

It would be funny to see the reactions of melee players, if this would happen to Power Strike(it would reduce wpf) :wink:

Quote from: Gisbert_of_Thuringia
Having PD not reducing any wpf would result in 100 of 8-9 pd archers with about 5 weaponsmaster being as accurate as a guy with 7 or 8 wm :/
Not really.
2 or 3 more weaponmaster are 20 or 30wpf and this is a great buff to the accuracy.

And I dont think that many archers are full str builds(but me)...
You get many gameplay disadvantages when you are an str archer;
- bad aiming, because of less skillpoints in wm
- no ablility to flee, because you cant invest any point in ath
- very slow draw and less aimtime, also because of less points in wm

So I don't think that Power Draw should reduce wpf, because it makes str archer builds much more unplayable.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 03:34:02 pm by _Sebastian_ »

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 08:54:11 pm »
What I mean is, that, if PD does not reduce wpf any longer, less wpf are needed to be accurate. So you can go for maybe 8 PD and have 6 WM, which will then be enough to be accurate, although you have high PD.
That would be a big buff to archery and would cause in hundreds of players whining on the forum, because every light and medium armour would probably be a oneshot.

As an archer we still have an advantage of being away from the target we attack. So you can't really compare it with PS and therefore PS shouldn't work in the same way as PD

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 11:47:28 pm »
What I mean is, that, if PD does not reduce wpf any longer, less wpf are needed to be accurate. So you can go for maybe 8 PD and have 6 WM, which will then be enough to be accurate, although you have high PD.
That would be a big buff to archery and would cause in hundreds of players whining on the forum, because every light and medium armour would probably be a oneshot.

As an archer we still have an advantage of being away from the target we attack. So you can't really compare it with PS and therefore PS shouldn't work in the same way as PD

Reducing the base accuracy of the bows would be the obvious solution to this.  Any change to archery mechanics would require re-balancing of the bows.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2011, 12:05:54 am »
Without the cRPG wpf reduction from PD, each level of PD would give as much accuracy precision as +20 archery wpf if I remember correctly.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:25:10 am by Paul »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2011, 12:09:19 am »
That sounds nuts considering how much MW gives (or rather, how little).
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline El_Infante

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 60
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tercio_Alejandro_Farnesio
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2011, 12:42:34 am »
Without the cRPG wpf reduction from PD, each level of PD would give as much accuracy precision as +20 archery wpf if I remember correctly.

So with 7PD I have worst accuracy than the same wpf as 6PD? It's not fair. Do the same with power strike.

Offline Whalen207

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • If I see that fucking pickle one more time...
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: [Guard_Whalen207 [Guard_Whale_Tosser [Guard_Whale_Tank [Guard_Whale_ArrowSpam
  • IRC nick: Whalen
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2011, 12:59:41 am »
So and where comes wpf in your system?

Drawing your bow stronger doesn't make you a more accurate archer :/

Actually it makes your shots harder.
And I don't think you would be able to hold it longer, because the more you draw, the faster your are exhausted from drawing it ;)

Agility? What's that?

[rage]
Arma 2, Mount and Blade, Garry's Mod and Coloholics Roleplayer, Coder, Mapmaker and Moderator.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2011, 01:24:43 am »
So with 7PD I have worst accuracy than the same wpf as 6PD? It's not fair. Do the same with power strike.

Also, you'll have worst accuracy with MW bows.

Because a good part of the item balancer team is boring.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2011, 06:18:32 am »
+1
That's wrong. We did some research and remodeled current arrow speed after historical projectile velocity with historical bows using war arrows. Bows today achieve higher speeds thanks to new materials.

ingame_velocity_in_m_per_s = item_kinds_shoot_speed * sqrt((PD * 0.12) + 1.0) * 1.2
{PD capped at bow diff+4}

Its a proven fact that modern researchers are not as good as their ancient predecessors at actually making those ancient items work at anywhere near the same efficiency.

What you mean is that you guessed at what researchers think were able to be obtained based upon amateur skill sets (both in weapon creation and weapon usage).

That would be a bit like me weaving a fishing net from grass and calculating the population of an ancient seaside village based upon what I was able to catch in my own feeble attempt at creating one.

Composite bows from thousands of years BEFORE this time period were capable of killing at 300 yards and could fly 600 yards. There is no way a projectile as slow as you've depicted will fly that far before falling to the ground.

I realize you feel you did due diligence, but you just made that numbers do whatever it was you wanted them to do, and then went to try to find "historical justification" after the fact, without bothering to apply the SAME style of realism to other classes. Like Xbows. Their range should be at the shortest bow range, instead they fly bullet speed across the entire map.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2011, 10:16:13 am »
Its a proven fact that modern researchers are not as good as their ancient predecessors at actually making those ancient items work at anywhere near the same efficiency.

What you mean is that you guessed at what researchers think were able to be obtained based upon amateur skill sets (both in weapon creation and weapon usage).

That would be a bit like me weaving a fishing net from grass and calculating the population of an ancient seaside village based upon what I was able to catch in my own feeble attempt at creating one.

Composite bows from thousands of years BEFORE this time period were capable of killing at 300 yards and could fly 600 yards. There is no way a projectile as slow as you've depicted will fly that far before falling to the ground.

I realize you feel you did due diligence, but you just made that numbers do whatever it was you wanted them to do, and then went to try to find "historical justification" after the fact, without bothering to apply the SAME style of realism to other classes. Like Xbows. Their range should be at the shortest bow range, instead they fly bullet speed across the entire map.

+1

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2011, 12:34:39 pm »
Like Xbows. Their range should be at the shortest bow range, instead they fly bullet speed across the entire map.

You might want to discuss that "fact" with DaveUKR. Also, nice strawman with the net.

Offline _Sebastian_

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • Lazy Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Bad Bug Busters
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2011, 01:25:12 pm »
Ok.
Reduce wpf by 20(or what ever) for each PD, so that the accuracy is still the same.
But the current system is not fair, because the wpf reduction is to high.

1+
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 01:28:50 pm by _Sebastian_ »