Author Topic: Buff arrow velocity  (Read 3165 times)

Offline Black Wind

• Whiner
  • Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 185
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PK
  • Game nicks: PK_IncrediblySkillful, The Right arm of the guy with 13 PC's that is PK
Buff arrow velocity
« on: December 19, 2011, 02:53:58 am »
Read this before you try to flame me.

Okay, so. I know all you players out there won't like this concept, but it's necessary. The arrows in-game travel at around one-third of the velocity of arrows in real life. I sm
Not saying we make them faster by a multiple of three, but perhaps  a fifth/quarter of their current speed should be added on to the projectile.

/fireproof suit on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Here in PK, we're better than you! And we know it.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
Re: Buff arrow velocity
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 03:17:26 am »
+2
Did you just post "real life" in the suggestion corner, concerning ingame balancing?

Well, then I demand plate to protect as well against arrows as in real life. I want my plate armour to have protection 250.

:P
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Korgoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 742
  • Infamy: 100
  • cRPG Player
  • I've dated girls uglier than you for Breakfast
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Korgoth
  • IRC nick: Korgoth
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 03:19:45 am »
Well, then I demand plate to protect as well against arrows as in real life. I want my plate armour to have protection 250.

lol My friend who loves plate always complains about that :D

"Wow arrow just penetrated my armour! Unrealistic!!!"

Korgoth's Retextures
Korgoth's Hierloom Stall

Offline Black Wind

• Whiner
  • Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: PK_IncrediblySkillful, The Right arm of the guy with 13 PC's that is PK
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 05:49:45 am »
Did you just post "real life" in the suggestion corner, concerning ingame balancing?

:P

Bodkin arrows were made for this.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 06:03:51 am »
On ranges of about 25 to 50m... if you are lucky... I could live with this  :wink:
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Black Wind

• Whiner
  • Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 06:24:41 am »
On ranges of about 25 to 50m... if you are lucky... I could live with this  :wink:

Plate only got that good in the 16th century anyway... The same period when early firearms were implemented in warfare

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 09:55:38 am »
The arrows in-game travel at around one-third of the velocity of arrows in real life.

That's wrong. We did some research and remodeled current arrow speed after historical projectile velocity with historical bows using war arrows. Bows today achieve higher speeds thanks to new materials.

ingame_velocity_in_m_per_s = item_kinds_shoot_speed * sqrt((PD * 0.12) + 1.0) * 1.2
{PD capped at bow diff+4}
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 09:59:43 am by Paul »

Offline Loki

• Count
  • Renown: 228
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
  • I don't know karate, but I know crazy.
    • View Profile
    • The Fallen Brigade
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Loki
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 10:19:48 am »
+2
the accurancy is what I have the biggest problem with honestly, which is the main reason I gave archery up.  With 160 wpf aiming for people's heads was useless, even at pointblank range.

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 10:58:02 am »
Only thing that needs to be done is a very slight speedbuff for longbow and a small nerf in damage or speed or accuracy for rusbow. Rest is fine^^

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 03:48:57 pm »
Most of the balance issues and complaints/suggestions come about because of the PD system.  People look at bows, then look at crossbows and then obviously try to compare them.

Change the PD bonuses so that they up your speed/hold time with a bow, whilst removing the accuracy nerf and damage/arrow speed bonuses and you will be able to more easily compare bows and crossbows which if they truely are balanced people will be able to see.

It also makes sense.  The current system of using a longbow works like this

PD5 = damn i'm not strong enough :(
PD6 = Yeah, it works! I can now use my 140lb Longbow
PD7 = Wow my 140lb Longbow has just morphed into a 161 lb Longbow!
PD8 = Damn! Where did this 195lb longbow come from.  Its amazing

A more realistic system would be
PD5 = damn i'm not strong enough :(
PD6 = Yeah, it works! I can now use my 140lb Longbow but its a bit of a strain and takes some time for the reticule to get to its smallest and it doesn't stay their for long
PD7 = This is getting a bit easier now, the reticule gets to its smallest a bit quicker and stays there a bit longer
PD8 = Now we're talking, i'm strong enough to pull the bow back quite quickly so that the reticule gets to its smallest nice and quick and then I have a decent amount of time to pick a target.
PD_bow_requirement_+4 = min time for reticule to get to its smallest and max time that it stays there.

This system would encorage bow users to go beyond their bows PD difficulty to get the longest time to aim and therefore make it easier.  This means people will either stick with low PD/damage bows or really sacrifice Agility/speed.  Good bow users meanwhile might accept the shorter time they have to aim & fire which will give them a nice reward for their skill.

This would also open the way for a few new bows.  Same models but a PD 5 longbow and a PD 7 longbow would give some more options for people and mean they can customixe their appearance a bit more.

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 06:23:44 pm »
So and where comes wpf in your system?

What you suggest is that powerdraw is increasing the time you can aim AND your drawspeed. This is ridiculous.

Drawing your bow stronger doesn't make you a more accurate archer :/

Actually it makes your shots harder.
And I don't think you would be able to hold it longer, because the more you draw, the faster your are exhausted from drawing it ;)

Offline Okkam

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 07:46:02 pm »
What you suggest is that powerdraw is increasing the time you can aim AND your drawspeed. This is ridiculous.

This is not ridiculous. PD in native works this way.

Also - swinging with your sword harder do not make your swings faster, with your logic PS must decrease melee wpf too.

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 08:47:59 pm »
You just supported what I said I guess :/

What he wants is that PD makes you draw faster and lets you aim longer, what I don't want

You say that PS doesn't make you hit faster, so why should PD make you draw faster?   *confused*

And please, do not try to compare native to crpg^^   Native archery is soooo damn unrealistic that it shouldn't even be in people's minds here

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 03:37:36 am »
That's wrong. We did some research and remodeled current arrow speed after historical projectile velocity with historical bows using war arrows. Bows today achieve higher speeds thanks to new materials.

ingame_velocity_in_m_per_s = item_kinds_shoot_speed * sqrt((PD * 0.12) + 1.0) * 1.2
HAH! Formula added to the wiki! Your secrets are now categorized properly and made available for everyone! Muhahahah!

xD

Thanks Paul.
http://wiki.c-rpg.net/index.php?title=Archery
There it is if you wanna see it.

I have a problem though. I can't make the formula into a nicely displayed way on the wiki. I tried the "math formula" thingie, but I couldn't make it work. Could anyone make it more readable, please?
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Black Wind

• Whiner
  • Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 05:04:57 am »

=

Arrow speed in meters per second = bows shoot speed  x  square root of ((power draw  x  0.12) + 1.0)  x  1.2

The power draw is capped at bow difficulty + 4
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 05:06:16 am by Black Wind »