Author Topic: Plate Armour = Bad value for money = Obsolete?  (Read 4837 times)

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
Re: Plate Armour = Bad value for money = Obsolete?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 06:54:45 pm »
Buff plate or lower the price for better variety ingame.

Buffing makes it worth the cost and makes it more speciak.

Lowering price makes it more common but as has been stated it wont create droves of unkillable tin cans.
Turtles

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 07:00:41 pm »
Nope.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 07:01:58 pm »
Plate works fine, if anything wearing plate should have some penalties to it.
Examples: running slower, swinging slower,

If these penalties were made noticeable then I may side with lowering the price a bit, but as it is right now, plate is a life saver in most situations, and wearing it is an advantage since there is hardly any penalty to choosing to wear it.

& sometimes you can get away without even paying upkeep :O .. Extreme luck is needed though.

^
This.  The ONLY penalty plate has is upkeep.  Give plate more penalties and then perhaps the upkeep could be lowered a bit.  As is, it's just an expensive crutch.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Pwoshi

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 07:11:35 pm »
Let's look at the green Surcoat Over Mail and the Heavy Plate Armor. The plate adds 16 Body and 8 leg armor for 20 THOUSAND gold. Not to mention the upkeep, so in my opinion, you should just stay with mail until you become a billionaire. :U

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • Renown: 424
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Murmillus_Prime
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 07:56:55 pm »
Its as it should be: You dont wanna block, you pay 8-)

I'll upblock a throwing axe, downblock a throwing lance and side block incoming jarrids...

^
This.  The ONLY penalty plate has is upkeep.  Give plate more penalties and then perhaps the upkeep could be lowered a bit.  As is, it's just an expensive crutch.

I wouldn't even class it as a crutch... Secondary ranged weapons are a crutch, a horse is a crutch, +3 items are a crutch, but heavy armour that costs alot, and alot to upkeep, that slows you down only so you die in the same amount of hits as armour that's a fraction the price and you can run faster in I don't consider a crutch.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 08:01:38 pm by Murmillus_Prime »
Dumbfuck.Fuckwit.Cuntshit.Brickfuck.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 08:17:11 pm »
Plate armor only becomes good with ~90 HP. Before that, it's not worth it IMO.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 08:25:32 pm »
that slows you down
Hardly at all compared to tunic over mail or even my tribal warrior outfit.
only so you die in the same amount of hits as armour that's a fraction the price and you can run faster in I don't consider a crutch.

That's funny.  Wallace in his plate takes 4-5 overheads from my heirloomed 46c warcleaver with 6 PS to bring down.  Wallace in light-med. armor only takes 1-2 like everyone else in light armor.  Goretooth in his black armor takes 5-6 hits from that same weapon to bring down.  Goretooth without his black plate takes 1-2.  This is pretty standard for most everyone I run into that wears plate vs wearing anything but.  I'd consider taking 4+ hits instead of 1 from my 'loomed mancleaver a significant protective increase.

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 08:42:03 pm »
Hardly at all compared to tunic over mail or even my tribal warrior outfit.
That's funny.  Wallace in his plate takes 4-5 overheads from my heirloomed 46c warcleaver with 6 PS to bring down.  Wallace in light-med. armor only takes 1-2 like everyone else in light armor.  Goretooth in his black armor takes 5-6 hits from that same weapon to bring down.  Goretooth without his black plate takes 1-2.  This is pretty standard for most everyone I run into that wears plate vs wearing anything but.  I'd consider taking 4+ hits instead of 1 from my 'loomed mancleaver a significant protective increase.

I too encounter people who wear heavy armour and survive stupid amounts of hits to the head. I've never understood how they survive so many powerfull hits when if I wear superior armour to even theirs I still die in like 2-3 hits, there arent many people like this though. But I'd like to know their IF or if they have loomed armour.

Offline Bothersome_Aldryk

• Baron
  • Renown: 124
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 08:42:54 pm »
Also, just to reiterate, one of the best parts of heavy armor is that it is much easier to cause a glance with it. Goretooth can move around in crowded melees forcing many hits to glance simply due to the high armor value and his experience in battles. In light armor, that wouldn't be possible.

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 08:44:13 pm »
Also, just to reiterate, one of the best parts of heavy armor is that it is much easier to cause a glance with it. Goretooth can move around in crowded melees forcing many hits to glance simply due to the high armor value and his experience in battles. In light armor, that wouldn't be possible.

In crowded situations the crowd of people tend to do more harm to eachother, no matter what the enemy is wearing be it plate or leather, they'll simply be hitting eachother and is probably why goretooth survives well in them situations.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 08:44:36 pm »
C) Plate, to me, is primarily for avoiding getting easily killed by ranged fire and teamwork damage.

I remember when I bought low end plate, and there was this clusterfuck where we were charging in nord town, and... two throwing thingies, dead. Just like in mail. Generally it was 2-3 throwing BS and I'm dead. Speed at least lets you close to throwers faster, so plate is more of a hinderance there. It only protects somewhat from archery.

I also took it to duel a bit... I was a polearmer that retirement. So anyway... once it took two slashes from a danish greatsword to kill me. Wat? Then I tried with mail armour to see the difference and although the damage received was somewhat higher, it was much easier and much more effective to fight with.

Basically, waste of gold, get mail.

Also, this Goretooth you speak of was on EU a few times where he got killed just like any other tincan, bah.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 08:48:04 pm by bruce »
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Bothersome_Aldryk

• Baron
  • Renown: 124
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 08:48:28 pm »
Aye, Murmillus, but as I stated, his style relies on causing most hits to glance. Without that and the ability to take more hits, he would likely be unable to survive doing that as often. Simple fact of the matter is it makes it much much more likely that you'll survive a situation like that.

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 09:00:43 pm »
I wore plate for 2 reasons before the patch.
a) i liked the way it looked
b) less damage from ranged fire.

the amount of protection given by plate was never that high.
The simple matter was people who could afford plate had been playing for longer and were thus more seasoned players.
Thats why everyone went OMG PLATE SO OP because they made the wrong connection.
But I agree, for the current cost, plate aint worth it. Not to mention how goddam slow it makes you.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2011, 09:10:15 pm »
Also, this Goretooth you speak of was on EU a few times where he got killed just like any other tincan, bah.

EU.  We can't play on EU with it's immense black hole lag of doom.

Offline Murrogh

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2011, 09:30:14 pm »
Everyone seems to be using Goretooth as an example of how heavy plate works ingame. It should be noted though that he uses triple heirloomed everything. This is 12 total retirements.
This gives: +6 Head, +12 Body, +12 Leg. Also, adding armor at higher armor levels reduces damage much more (0 armor to 12 armor does almost nothing but 68 armor to 80 armor does a great deal).

Although the added weight may not be worth it for an unheirloomed heavy armor compared to an unheirloomed medium/light, I would say that a Lordly Heavy armor is worth it compared to a Lordly Light/Medium armor in many cases.

As time progresses, and people heirloom heavy armor,  I think it is likely that we will see more variety in the armor ingame.