Author Topic: Plate Armour = Bad value for money = Obsolete?  (Read 4838 times)

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • Renown: 424
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Murmillus_Prime
Re: Plate Armour = Bad value for money = Obsolete?
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2011, 01:36:54 pm »
My last build with my masterwork 'SPAM'tana & 7 PS cut down tin cans after a few good swings usually because of their incompetence to block overheads.

is that wrong?

anyways.. I've decided that I will agree with you IF they remake the morningstar and spiked mace to be sheathed where a daggar would go :3 just so I can deal with the tin cans and their better armor & still maintain looking awesome :D what do you think?

What you call imcompetence can easily be the game mechanics as of late. Since the last batch of patches many people and myself noticed phantom blocks. On the blockers screen you've blocked a hit, or did a block that should have deflected the hit yet the attackers strike goes through the block and kills you anyway. This happens more often with 2h weapons more than any, and the faster the 2h weapon the more this issue tends to arise.

Blocking is only manageable for most people man to man, one on one, in the battlefield backstabbing somone with an overhead strike isn't their imcompetence either, just your initiative.

Back on main topic.

For fairness sake you should get what you're paying for, paying for a huge amount of armour to die in the same amount of hits as cheaper armour clearly shows that the armour needs either a money nerf or a protection buff. In the days where people had over 200+wpf and black plate and bla bla, it was sometimes annoying to die to them often but it was also fun watching them try to take on the rest of the enemy team alone and getting ganked until they die. It was fun watching some hotshot with light armour cut tanks down to size, and it was fun watching the carnage a tank caused when he walked into 50 peasants.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 01:44:33 pm by Murmillus_Prime »
Dumbfuck.Fuckwit.Cuntshit.Brickfuck.

Offline POCOMAKA

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Brodnics
  • Game nicks: Brodnic_WereWolverine
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2011, 02:13:29 pm »
In the days where people had over 200+wpf and black plate and bla bla, it was sometimes annoying to die to them often but it was also fun watching them try to take on the rest of the enemy team alone and getting ganked until they die. It was fun watching some hotshot with light armour cut tanks down to size, and it was fun watching the carnage a tank caused when he walked into 50 peasants.
That was nice indeed... I agree what i quoted
POCOMAKA [sounds: rosomaka] - wolverine in ukrainian.
Ancient warrior totem - Wolverine carries with it the passion for truth, learning and pursuing goals with fierce determination.
Instant justice in cRPG:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2011, 06:57:11 pm »
For fairness sake you should get what you're paying for, paying for a huge amount of armour to die in the same amount of hits as cheaper armour

Except this part is STILL completely and totally untrue. 
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • Renown: 424
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Murmillus_Prime
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2011, 07:56:18 pm »
Except this part is STILL completely and totally untrue.

We can test if you wish.
Dumbfuck.Fuckwit.Cuntshit.Brickfuck.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2011, 08:11:29 pm »
We can test if you wish.

Sure.  Catch me on the duel server and we'll go through different armor setups.  I have 18 str, 3 IF and will let you swing at me while wearing my tribal warrior outfit vs my cuir boulli over mail.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2011, 08:14:35 pm »
Depends.
With my build and NCS I need about 2 times as many hits on plate as on mail (nevermind the glances). But the higher damage the weapon is the less that is true. Str build with tripple heirloomed axe will maybe only 1.5 times as much damage to mail than to plate, that's where the offender is.
Especially since the number of hits you can take is always an integer. I.e. if someone hits me for 90% hp in mail he will still do 60% hp damage to someone in plate, 2 hits in both instances. But if you manage to kill him after the first hit, that is a huge benefit. I've been killed alone by random horse touch from 10% health left 5 times in the last two days, with just 10 more armor I'd have easily survived and the speed hit isn't really noticable.
Seriously, if you are looking at the people that pull out plate every once in a while, their K:D skyrockets but people will also pack higher damage weapons or go for gangs and headshots if they see a plater.
Urlurkur suggested to change soak and reductions values so that high damage weapons don't bypass armor so easily, or you could give everyone more hp so the difference is more pronounced.

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2011, 09:07:27 pm »

I can kill (with my 8 power strike) in 1 or 2 hits (in battle enemies are usually already injured when I meet them), a fresh heavy armored I have never seen survive more than 2-3 hits from me, except those two Shogunate cheaters that are/ were clearly cheating by buffing somehow their chars hit points to about 700.

Oh wow i just noticed this, awesome  :mrgreen:. Way to make a fool of yourself yet again .

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2011, 06:50:57 am »
Oh wow i just noticed this, awesome  :mrgreen:. Way to make a fool of yourself yet again .

again? This man has perfected the art of shitting from his mouth.

And for the record: plate is not obsolete. It is still viable to use if you look at the victory bonuses. At x1, a player can support $25,000 worth of equipment without gaining or losing money on average over an extended period of time. At x2, this goes up to $50,000... x3=75,000. This means with an x3 bonus, a player can easily afford to wear a set of plate armor and still have a decent weapon.

I wrote a spreadsheet which calculates total loss/gain values per minute based on gear setup. When you look at it from a statistical point of view, high tier items are still very viable. Assuming all players carry a 50% win-to-loss ratio (which is a fair assumption thanks to autobalance,) all players on average carry a 1.96875 multiplier. This translates to ~4,900 worth of gear to break even on average
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 06:53:11 am by Seawied »
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Tigerclaw

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Diadochi
  • Game nicks: Tigerclaw
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2011, 07:41:02 am »
Yeah, I don't use plate, but some of my other gear is pretty expensive, so I routinely walk around with between 33000 and 53000 worth of equipment and I'm still making money hand over fist, so it seems to me that, from a financial perspective, plate is still practical.

Offline crojosip

• Noble
  • Renown: 24
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
  • *insert random quote here*
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Crojo
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2011, 08:16:13 am »
my danish swrd seems to break more often than any other equipment.

Yesterday it repaired for 10 rounds in a row.

Makes carrying heavier equipment somewhat expensive.