Poll

Increase the running speed penalty from armor weight.

Yes
No

Author Topic: Make the weight penalties from armor affect more runnin speed.  (Read 5069 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Make the weight penalties from armor affect more runnin speed.
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 12:03:04 pm »
I'll test this later today.

Offline Wrenaq_Lars

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MonkeyBlade
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 12:06:44 pm »
It slows you down already (it doesn't in real life)
The OP is saying a person in med armor would be faster than a person in Plate, which is true.
Oh and I have worn 16th century Full Plate and I dont think I could of run fast in it.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 12:07:26 pm »
+1
Using real life arguments for game balancing is fail anyway.

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 12:17:10 pm »
+1
I had loomed lamellar armor ( 17.2 weight) and 5 athletics, than i switched to loomed druzhina elite lamellar armor (21.4 weight) and instantly felt how much slower i became, so i actually had to change my build to get more athletics. Just an observation. Whoever says athletics doesnt benefit you enough, well i couldn't disagree more.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 12:39:16 pm »
+1
Both medium-heavy and heavy armors have too few drawbacks in my opinion, speed being one.

Offline Elric_de_Melnibone

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
  • FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 01:36:25 pm »
+1
I'm tired to see tin cans or any other heavies run as fast as anybody else in medium armor. It's stupid.

So this is no bias, eh?

I'm not saying that I'm unbiased, but I already admitted that it's okay to cut corners on realism for game balance.

But just asking for a nerf like this out of the blue is stupid. It most likely came up due to the OP being killed by plate users he ran away from. Probably because they had higher athletics skill?

As Ujin already said, it's all about athletics.
Of course a plate user with 6 athletics will be faster than a peasant with 0 athletics.

A fit person will (almost) always be faster than a person not as fit, no matter what clothing or armour the fit person wears.

Plate armour exhausts you more than light armour, that's true. But it doesn't make you run slower. Not one bit.
In fact, it affects accelration, not "maximum" speed.

You might take longer to get to run at full speed, but once you're at full speed, you're a rolling cannonball made of steel, which few things can stop.
Turning is also affected once you're running, but that's already implemented.

Get enough points in athletics, and you'll easily outrun plate users with equal points in your light armour.

Oh and I have worn 16th century Full Plate and I dont think I could of run fast in it.

Sorry, what? You don't think you could run as fast in it?
You didn't actually run around in it?
You didn't actually use it in combat?
Then don't come in here and spill your opinion like it's the scientific truth.

Yes, real life arguments aren't always applicaple in game balance. But a claim like this is just bullshit.
Besides, the latest plate armour we have in cRPG is 15th century, 16th century is not even represented in the game except for the morion.

I'm just tired of people whining about armour that's already so dumbed down from it's true effectiveness for the sake of game balance, and still get killed by people using it.
Yeah, right. Nerf it some more. Take the last reasons to use plate.

People rarely run around in plate anyways. What reason, except novelty, would be left to just use your epic plate armour once in a while when it's nerfed so hard that it's not more effective than medium / light armour?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 01:39:40 pm by Elric_de_Melnibone »
- What can change the nature of a man?

Offline Wrenaq_Lars

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MonkeyBlade
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 01:44:48 pm »
Yes I said I think because even walking was hard......
But I agree with you he got killed by a guy in plate and moans, every type of class moans about another, I think the game is balanced at the moment and you can counter anything by making different builds.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 01:48:22 pm by Wrenaq_Lars »

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
  • FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2011, 01:48:08 pm »
Yes I said I think because even walking was hard......

Look, I'm sorry, but you probably just weren't used to it one bit.
You get used to wearing armour, and once you coped with the additional weight, it'll feel like walking / running normally.

Besides, it was probably a tournament or cavalry armour.
Those were VERY heavy in 16th century, since they were made to withstand the new bullet weapons.

We don't have those armours in cRPG.
Those armours are good to move and fight in. I'm the proof of that, as are many others.

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Occitan_FullMetalJacket
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2011, 02:06:43 pm »
Btw where did i say the tin can killed me? Be sure to read what i wrote before saying something that did not happened lol.
I know at 5 ath im not a speedy but i personnaly dont feel much acceleration problem when i am either running in cuir bouillie or plate.

I know with all the range and cav fests on battle, heavy is the easiest way to go but i still find it stupid that i can't outrun easily somebody with 5-6 ath in heavy armor. Considering i have 5 ath this should technically be easy to do in my light-medium armor set.

Edit: me and my buddy even did some tests. He was in light gear (padded jack, shitty helmet and boots with a 5 kg shield) at 5 ath and i was in my same equipment (chapel de fer, tunic overmail, mail boots and glove with a 6kg shield) and i was outrunning him with 5 ath (same as him!!)! Something is not right here! Im not
just talking about me having some meters in front of him, im talking about me running so fast he could not
keep up with me and i had to wait for him to get up to me.

Ill need to test this again but that was funny as hell, i dont know what could have made me run a lot faster then him considering he was just behind me when we started running but it sure made us laugh...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 02:16:51 pm by Siboire »

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2011, 02:46:14 pm »
+1
Remove all the heavy armors to stop the tin can noob whine crowd from keep posting about it.

Heavy armors are all ready useless an expensive an slows you down alot compared to the lighter versions only reason some people still use em is to avoid looking like a kuyak rus clone like everyone else.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 02:47:17 pm by Tzar »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
  • FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2011, 03:06:19 pm »
+1
Could it be that he interrupted his "sprint" bonus by pressing a or d for sidestepping by accident?

You get a sprint bonus for running forward for a few seconds if you don't sidestep and just turn using the mouse.

If you knew that already, then I apologise. Then something weird is going on, if you had the same athletics.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2011, 03:18:40 pm »
Like I said in another thread it's stupid that plate requirement is 15 strength and that is one of the reasons you see tincans move so fast.

Medium armour should start from 15 and plate weight should start from 18 to 21.

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2011, 03:20:37 pm »
Yeah right, as if plate isn't nerfed enough already.

It doesn't protect as it should (in real life)
It slows your attacks down (it doesn't in real life)
It slows you down already (it doesn't in real life)
Repairs cost an insane amount of money if you don't go and sell heirlooms all day (you can repair usual battle-damage yourself with the right hammers in real life)

As a person that wears plate armour in real life on a regular basis, I think it's way too handicapped already.
Of course I admit that game balance is important, so I don't whine about the current situation too much.

But nerfing it even more, hell no. Fuck off.

Especially if it's a ridiculous thing like movement speed, which is completely unrealistic, and after all, M&B does try to simulate the medieval warfare, doesn't it?
Cutting corners for balance is okay, but nerfing movement speed would not only cut a corner, it would cut much, much more.

You know, even Usain bolt wear little underwear plate armor. That's why he is so fast.

Vexus
ATM armor weighing 10 kilograms have 10 str as  requirement . Just make this linear:  armor weight 20 = requirement 20 str,   armor weight 30 = requirement 30 str etc...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 03:25:41 pm by Cup1d »

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 03:57:06 pm »
+1
Edit: me and my buddy even did some tests. He was in light gear (padded jack, shitty helmet and boots with a 5 kg shield) at 5 ath and i was in my same equipment (chapel de fer, tunic overmail, mail boots and glove with a 6kg shield) and i was outrunning him with 5 ath (same as him!!)! Something is not right here! Im not
just talking about me having some meters in front of him, im talking about me running so fast he could not
keep up with me and i had to wait for him to get up to me.
If the shields were on your back, then you can't forget about weapon length which affects speed. If he had a glaive and you a simple one hander or a morningstar, you're going to be a fair bit faster because of the penalty he receives.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 05:14:09 pm »
+2
Duh....

You are slow enough in heavy armor...
Slow enough for most to run away and thats for additional protection (1 sometimes 2 blows)

Thats a fair trade....so please stop acting like 20 + weight only have bright sides....simply not true.