Poll

Would you like to be able to disarm your opponent?

Yes.
No.
I scare peoples weps out of their hands already...

Author Topic: Disarming  (Read 5193 times)

Offline Madcat

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Ferroh
Re: Disarming
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 04:03:16 pm »
I don't like random chances, this should be an intentional move if implemented. For example you disarm someone by attacking an enemy and he chamber and then you chamber his thrust chamber with an overhead.
Something complicated anyway. Personally I don't like the idea, but whatever.

It shouldn't be something overly complicated though or it will never be used and then what's the point of implementing it at all.
It should be something you can fairly easily "attempt" and defend against but it depends on paying attention
Unlike the kick which you need either a stroke of luck, be desperate or have the other guy be totally careless in order to pull off.

Losing your weapon shouldn't mean certain death. You should still have control over your character and not get stunned like from a kick

Offline FICO

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_FICO
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 04:18:58 pm »
in RL it is very difficult to disarm enemy (it is usually wrestling move and halfswording - not like in movies), but regarding lances - if you make shishkebab it is hard to carry dead body + armor on lance and make another hit
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A fighter is more dangerous, starved, sick, injured, sleep-deprived, drunk and naked than the normal person is well-fed, healthy, whole, rested, cold sober and armed to the teeth

Offline Madcat

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 04:37:13 pm »
Disarming someone is not that hard.
I mean, if you damage someones hand or arm he will likely drop his weapon. That's a disarm no?

Disarming him without harming him would be harder / more dangerous.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 05:44:35 pm »
It could also be an ability of some weapons, e.g. swordbreakers.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Centurion

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 05:46:34 pm »
I don't think dex means some random my old friendgy thing like press h to disarm now. It would be a good way to tell crushthrough spammers to fuck off.

Situation: all strength build 9 powerstrike 9 ironflesh heavy armor and bar mace. Fighting average balanced shield spear 1h hybrid with ligh armor
heavy guy is thinking im gonna overhand spam this Bitch til he cries
Hybrid is thinking oh shit oh shit need multiplyer please help me teammates
What happens.
heavy hits crushes through
hybrid has little health and has recovered but decides fuck it and starts swinging madly in the heavies general direction
heavy is hit multiple times and all of a sudden his weapon drops cuz he can't block enough hits.
Now the heavy is like run away and find a sword
(Heavy has no athletics)
Speedy hybrid now runs down heavy and whacks him in the back 8 times til heavy dies.
this situation withought a lucky disarm goes as follows,
Heavy over hand overhand overhand. Laughs at dead hybrid and tbags the corpse while at home the hybrid goes into the fetal position and cries

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 05:58:33 pm »
I don't think dex means some random my old friendgy thing like press h to disarm now. It would be a good way to tell crushthrough spammers to fuck off.

Situation: all strength build 9 powerstrike 9 ironflesh heavy armor and bar mace. Fighting average balanced shield spear 1h hybrid with ligh armor
heavy guy is thinking im gonna overhand spam this Bitch til he cries
Hybrid is thinking oh shit oh shit need multiplyer please help me teammates
What happens.
heavy hits crushes through
hybrid has little health and has recovered but decides fuck it and starts swinging madly in the heavies general direction
heavy is hit multiple times and all of a sudden his weapon drops cuz he can't block enough hits.
Now the heavy is like run away and find a sword
(Heavy has no athletics)
Speedy hybrid now runs down heavy and whacks him in the back 8 times til heavy dies.
this situation withought a lucky disarm goes as follows,
Heavy over hand overhand overhand. Laughs at dead hybrid and tbags the corpse while at home the hybrid goes into the fetal position and cries

9 Power strike isnt even enough to crush through with the barmace, I'm leveling a full strenght guy and I have 10 power strike and I've yet to crush through with any barmaces :/

Also not to mention anyone with enough power strike and strength to crush through will be extremely slow thus making it really easy to footwork your way to victory.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 05:59:51 pm by Patricia »

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 06:51:15 pm »
No.

There should not be any 'auto-win' features added. Crushthrough is hardly OP either, you have plenty of chance to fight back. Weapon comes out of hands, insta death in many circumstances, just sounds like an OP ability that doesn't need to be added to the game.

Unless of course they also add wrestling, so once I'm disarmed I can wrestle you to the ground, tear your eyes out and choke you to death.

Yeah, I don't see either of these ideas happening lol.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:52:25 pm by Leesin »

Offline FICO

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_FICO
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 07:14:20 pm »
Disarming someone is not that hard.
I mean, if you damage someones hand or arm he will likely drop his weapon. That's a disarm no?

Disarming him without harming him would be harder / more dangerous.
one minor wound can sometimes cause physical or mental shock that lasts long enough that it allows enemy to take off your head instead of arm, but that's not the point. it could be implemented grappling the enemy and then that who waster clicks, disarms enemy (mousekiller)

A fighter is more dangerous, starved, sick, injured, sleep-deprived, drunk and naked than the normal person is well-fed, healthy, whole, rested, cold sober and armed to the teeth

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 08:00:26 pm »
No.

There should not be any 'auto-win' features added. Crushthrough is hardly OP either, you have plenty of chance to fight back. Weapon comes out of hands, insta death in many circumstances, just sounds like an OP ability that doesn't need to be added to the game.

Unless of course they also add wrestling, so once I'm disarmed I can wrestle you to the ground, tear your eyes out and choke you to death.

+1
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Madcat

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 10:49:45 pm »
No.

So are you against the idea of disarm, or are you against the idea of a overpowered disarm? Because it sounds like the latter.

Nobody wants auto win features.
I think a disarm would add more color to the combat. Just the feature of being able to disarm someone somehow.
If it's doable, simple, spices things up and someone has the time and will to add it and balance it then why not?

I think it's a shame you dismiss a potentially good addition like that. It should at least be explored
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 10:57:54 pm by Madcat »

Offline Madcat

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2011, 10:55:18 pm »
one minor wound can sometimes cause physical or mental shock that lasts long enough that it allows enemy to take off your head instead of arm, but that's not the point. it could be implemented grappling the enemy and then that who waster clicks, disarms enemy (mousekiller)

And that would be sweet. But someone would have to make a combat system for it and new animations.
For the developers sake, the less new stuff and changes you need to make it work, the easier it would be to add to the game.

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 02:32:43 am »
So are you against the idea of disarm, or are you against the idea of a overpowered disarm? Because it sounds like the latter.

Nobody wants auto win features.
I think a disarm would add more color to the combat. Just the feature of being able to disarm someone somehow.
If it's doable, simple, spices things up and someone has the time and will to add it and balance it then why not?

I think it's a shame you dismiss a potentially good addition like that. It should at least be explored

I'm not dismissing it, just stating that I feel the ability to disarm someones weapon would basically spell instant death to whoever it happens to 99% of the time. The fact is someone WILL get really good at it and it will be even harder than it usually is fighting against another skilled opponent because they'll disarm you everytime, or all the good players will basically just end up practicing it so much like everyone had to do with manual block once upon a time, then all the good players will just be running around disarming everyone and eachother.

It's just the game, the engine and everything else, if the game was designed with these kind of things, then it would probably already be in use, with stuff like disarming and grappling, but that isn't the case. Disarming can only work when there are other counter abilities as I said, like grappling, otherwise it's an unbalanced and OP ability, regardless of difficulty to perform.

I could only personally agree with an idea like this if a whole system of disarm and grappling was put into the game, but I don't see that happening at all, infact the hard-coding most likely makes that impossible.

Offline Mover76

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • The freedoms you give away will never be returned
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Phoenix Company
  • Game nicks: Spit_Crush / Tuffel_Stiltskin
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 02:40:20 am »
A better solution to this is damage to area of contact, arm damage makes you swing slower leg damage makes you run slower ect.

Offline Dexterous_Rex

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!!!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dexterous_Rex
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2011, 07:50:37 am »
The fact is someone WILL get really good at it and it will be even harder than it usually is fighting against another skilled opponent because they'll disarm you everytime, or all the good players will basically just end up practicing it so much like everyone had to do with manual block once upon a time, then all the good players will just be running around disarming everyone and eachother.

True, and I totally agree that the coding will probably make this idea impossible, but wouldnt it be a skill that you would have to commit to?  Like 1h 150 wpf?  It would be along the lines, at least in my idea of it, kinda like a dedicated thrower or archer.  People would complain when they get killed by them about how cheap of a skill it is, but then again, they might really enjoy making an alternate skill fighter.

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2011, 08:31:04 pm »

True, and I totally agree that the coding will probably make this idea impossible, but wouldnt it be a skill that you would have to commit to?  Like 1h 150 wpf?  It would be along the lines, at least in my idea of it, kinda like a dedicated thrower or archer.  People would complain when they get killed by them about how cheap of a skill it is, but then again, they might really enjoy making an alternate skill fighter.

Everyone would use it where possible ( i.e most builds would be capable of fitting this in, infact many new builds would be built around it ) because it would be the single most powerful ability in the game, to disarm someone in close combat is basically killing them if you are armed with the proper weapon, or even more so if you already outnumber the opponent.

Something like this really would need a proper grappling system to be balanced and yeah it could be fun hypothetically. But my point was that I really don't see that happening, not even in the future, because the hard-coding probably makes it impossible, or restricts it so much that it would be overly tacky, simple and basic to be even worth implementing.

Maybe something for future Mount and Blade games if Taleworlds wants to take it down that road, but as it stands it just wouldn't really fit into the gameplay, Mount and Blade is still an arcade hack and slash game, there is not really any realistic factors in the combat itself. Locational damage causing wounding and making you slower or weak in different ways could work, but again probably quite limited by the engine.