Author Topic: What We're Reading  (Read 39665 times)

Offline Maira

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • War is won at the cost of a great loss.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Houses of Cards (House of Hearts)
  • Game nicks: Loz, King_Charles_of_Hearts
Re: What We're Reading
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2011, 08:02:36 am »
I've been reading some stuff by Erik L'Homme and I finished (about a month ago) reading Sun Tzu Sun Pin the Art of War.

Edit: Oh, also some literature stuff, but it's all in portuguese, so, I won't bother posting their titles.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 08:03:54 am by Maira »

Offline Bull

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2011, 08:11:28 am »
+1
Currently reading:

Devil in the White City by Erik Larson (nonfiction, about an architect and serial killer in Chicago). It's a bit dry.

Finishing up the Arthurian series by Bernard Cornwell (The Winter King, Enemy of God, Excalibur). Absolutely amazing series. Probably the best historical fiction author I've ever come across, and I've read a damned lot of them. Highly recommend them.

Also reading "Ironfire" by David Ball. It's another historical fiction about the knights of Malta vs. the Ottoman Empire. Good read, although not nearly as engrossing as Cornwell's work.

Cornwell has supplanted George RR Martin as my favorite author, thanks to this series. Martin is a fat sloth who cannot finish what he started, and I shall ever be embittered to him.

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2011, 08:31:29 am »
George RR Martin pisses me off as well,   :evil:  bastard can't finish a book to save his life.  It's been like 6 years since he wrote the last one.

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2011, 12:35:23 pm »
I think it's pretty much a given the fat bastard is going to keel over and die from a heart attack before he ever finishes the series. I love/hate him as well, but he's probably going to "pull a Jordan", as the people say.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 12:36:40 pm by Oberyn »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2011, 10:37:48 pm »
I think it's pretty much a given the fat bastard is going to keel over and die from a heart attack before he ever finishes the series. I love/hate him as well, but he's probably going to "pull a Jordan", as the people say.

Just started reading Martin. So far, I'm a little disappointed in some of the black and white characters, though I'll admit that he achieves the goal of making the reader loathe them.

Which I'm sure he's done on purpose, unlike many of S.M Stirling's main characters.

Offline Berserkadin

• Duke
  • Renown: 592
  • Infamy: 145
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -
  • Game nicks: Krewl_The_Urist_Fox
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2011, 11:29:04 pm »
Good old Silmarillion  8-)

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
  • Game nicks: Pit
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2011, 12:12:26 am »
Good old Silmarillion  8-)

honestly??  Gotta love Tolkien.... but that is probably the most boring read on the planet.  There are law books I would rather sift through than read that history text again.  heh.  its a good reference for LOTR, however.

and....  Just started The Crippled God.  last book in the Malazan series.

One of the things I loved the most about Martin was that his characters throughout the 4 books actually change with each of their experiences.  I really hated Jamie and Tyrion, and now they are probably the most interesting guys in those books.  I also like how he isnt afraid to just butcher a main character and get rid of them because they lost a fight.  sometimes at random.   things arent always fairytale perfect.  thats why I like him...  just wish he would finish already.
"Scissors needs a nerf because he beats me every time, but rock is just fine" - paper

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2011, 12:24:18 am »
honestly??  Gotta love Tolkien.... but that is probably the most boring read on the planet.  There are law books I would rather sift through than read that history text again.  heh.  its a good reference for LOTR, however.

and....  Just started The Crippled God.  last book in the Malazan series.

One of the things I loved the most about Martin was that his characters throughout the 4 books actually change with each of their experiences.  I really hated Jamie and Tyrion, and now they are probably the most interesting guys in those books.  I also like how he isnt afraid to just butcher a main character and get rid of them because they lost a fight.  sometimes at random.   things arent always fairytale perfect.  thats why I like him...  just wish he would finish already.

I'll have to read the rest in order to form a better opinion, but so far, I actually like Tyrion.

Offline Berserkadin

• Duke
  • Renown: 592
  • Infamy: 145
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -
  • Game nicks: Krewl_The_Urist_Fox
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2011, 12:48:03 am »
Well, personal favourite of Tolkien, only a real nerd can endure Silmarillion ;) Tough I would still recommend Children Of Hurin over Silmarillion for a newb

Offline Formless

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2011, 10:17:43 pm »
The Name of the Wind  by Patrick Rothfuss, truly excellent book, definitely one of the best fantasy books I have ever read.

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline Draedan

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • wat?
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Faction: Phoenix Company
  • Game nicks: Draedan_PxC, Heavy_Set_PxC, Pure_PxC, GoreHead_PxC
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2011, 02:37:59 am »
The Name of the Wind  by Patrick Rothfuss, truly excellent book, definitely one of the best fantasy books I have ever read.

Did you read Wise Man's Fears yet?
I love it.
But I feel like it's lacking something that the first one had.
In chadz We Trust.
Hint #4: You can invite more men to your party at the tavern
(click to show/hide)

Offline Darkkarma

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow your roll
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: DarkKarma
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2011, 10:58:03 pm »
http://files.forensicmed.webnode.com/200000417-9ecff9fc9c/voodoo_histories.jpg

Voodoo Histories -  How Conspiracy Theory has shaped Modern History

Ranging from the Bolshevik uprisings all the way to Modern-day  events such as the Obama presidential election.

If nothing else, it provides an interesting alternative perspective.
This community hurts my brains, a lot.

Offline Wiggy

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2011, 01:59:18 am »
Im reading Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith Fantastic book based on a serial killer in soviet russia where crime isnt recognized by the state Awesome story i recommend to all

Offline Formless

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2011, 05:16:23 am »
Did you read Wise Man's Fears yet?
I love it.
But I feel like it's lacking something that the first one had.

Yeah I just finished it, it was excellent.  And you are right, the second book, while great did lack that certain something the first book had.  I think that the problems in the first book were more pressing and visceral then the problems he faced in the second book.  In the first book his life was a real mess and you felt really badly for him, in the second book most of his life was more or less in order and the problems he was facing were not as emotionally engaging as the ones in the first book. 

But second books tend to be like that, they tend to tie things in and set things up for the third book in which all sorts of shit goes down.  Looking forward to the next book in this great trilogy.

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faeries_Wear_Boots
  • Game nicks: Yuri_the_Horse, Sanjuro, Mongo?something or othere!!! SRATEY: FWB_BSW_X1 :P
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2011, 06:04:48 am »
It's coming!!!http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

Also a miniseries and an RTS.  Woohoo!!

I need to read more, again.