Author Topic: What We're Reading  (Read 39663 times)

Offline TommyHu

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: What We're Reading
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2011, 12:50:25 am »
SOG: The secret wars of America's commandos in Vietnam is the best book I've read in a long time. Great accounts of fighting from before the actual war up to the end.

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2011, 07:10:14 am »
Have not read that one, but if you like special forces books look up Richard Marchinko's Rogue Warrior book.  The book talks about Richard's life in the SEAL teams, its one of favorite military special forces books.

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2011, 07:14:49 pm »
I might be stating the obvious, but: The Hichhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams!
Amazingly funny book. Also plenty of extra stuff around that book, like bbc radio drama's. A must read. I bet many of you already read it. :)

And ofcourse Terry Pratchett's Diskworld series. Sadly, i'm almost done reading those. Especially the later ones are very witty, a breeze to read and ful of hilarious moments, satire and good storytelling. Nice and light reading.

When younger, aside from the mandatory Lord of the Rings and various other books, i remember enjoying The Wheel of Time by 'Robert Jordan'. But looking back, those books did get slightly boring after part 10. And i also remember reading stuff by Eddings i enjoyed. But ignore that. Read the Hichhiker's Guide if you haven't! It's a classic.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 07:17:06 pm by Phazey »

Offline nuffen

• Baron
  • Renown: 113
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Nuffen Fallen_Lilith Fallen_Little_Nuff
  • IRC nick: nuffen
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2011, 07:16:49 pm »
Reading Jack London - The Scarlet feber and other novels atm.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scarlet_Plague
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2011, 07:35:18 pm »
I might be stating the obvious, but: The Hichhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams!
Amazingly funny book. Also plenty of extra stuff around that book, like bbc radio drama's. A must read. I bet many of you already read it. :)

And ofcourse Terry Pratchett's Diskworld series. Sadly, i'm almost done reading those. Especially the later ones are very witty, a breeze to read and ful of hilarious moments, satire and good storytelling. Nice and light reading.

When younger, aside from the mandatory Lord of the Rings and various other books, i remember enjoying The Wheel of Time by 'Robert Jordan'. But looking back, those books did get slightly boring after part 10. And i also remember reading stuff by Eddings i enjoyed. But ignore that. Read the Hichhiker's Guide if you haven't! It's a classic.

The hitchhikers guide and discworld series are both very good suggestions. Also if you enjoy those and enjoy a bit of horror I'd recommend john dies at the end. http://www.johndiesattheend.com/. It's best described as a mixture of douglas adams and stephen king.

Offline BaleOhay

• Marshall
  • Renown: 789
  • Infamy: 229
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BS
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2011, 07:39:24 pm »

A series I did enjoy immensely and hasn't been mentioned yet is The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.  It's a fantasy/hard-boiled detective fiction mix, but I feel the best way to describe it is with a picture:

I  just finished White night in this series and I am enjoying Butchers Dresdin books very much. Fun to do a different take on the theme.. not all sword and magic in a make believe world.

Some of my favorites include
David Gemmel
Raymond Feist
W.E.B. Griffin (brotherhood of War series) if you feel like stepping out of the fantasy world.
Robert Jordan
Leader of BS

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2011, 10:15:48 pm »
+1
It's weird.. but also nice to see, that you guys read Books! I thought that readers have died out or something.
Also shows that we have a bit smarter/more intelligent player base than the typical videogame for 12yr olds,
even though you can't see it ingame, because the trolls scream all the time.

I don't read very often, the last book I've read was "The Shark Mutiny" by Patrick Robinson. It is a nice book, I enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 10:19:18 pm by Christo »

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Zypher

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Rí Ollam (King of Poets) of the Celts
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Túatha na nGeal
  • Game nicks: Tuatha_Zypher , Zypher 221b, Zypher ibn Samir, Zypher as Éireann
  • IRC nick: Zypher 221b
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2011, 10:43:26 pm »
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

by Carl Sagan

Any Carl Sagan books really, but this one is the best.
Táimid an daonie saor! Túatha na nGeal Abú!

Offline Formless

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2011, 05:12:34 am »
Reading Jack London - The Scarlet feber and other novels atm.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scarlet_Plague

Thanks for this one, I never knew Jack London wrote SciFi.  Have you read Martin Eden by London?  Its one of my favourite books. 
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2011, 06:13:27 am »

I've read all those books a long time ago, favorites of mine, man wheel of time lasted longer than the author of it did I think the guy who made it over time kinda lost his focus and hell died before he even finished it up(and whomever took over and had his notes and whatever made last books)
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline Noble Crassius

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Long live the Han
    • View Profile
    • http://rotk.ws/
  • Faction: Han Empire
  • Game nicks: Han_Ling, SiegeSome, Fallen_Knight
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2011, 07:13:19 am »
My all time favorite books,

Stranger in a strange land - Highly suggested

1984 - Same

Chronicles of the Black Company - Good fantasy series

Destination: Void - classic sci-fi

The Time Machine - see above

The War of the Worlds - see above

Almost forgot if you enjoyed The Hitch Hikers guide to the galaxy you'll defiantly enjoy this book by the same author,

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency - A shame this one slipped underneath the radar
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 07:25:50 am by Noble Crassius »
On it.

Offline Formless

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2011, 02:22:20 am »
I am half way through "The Fighter's Mind" by Sam Sheridan its a great book I am really enjoying it.  Sam travels around and meets some of the best fighters and coaches around and tries to find out what goes on in their heads.  What makes them great and what makes them tick.  How they deal with winning and losing and what makes an exceptional fighter.  Really enjoyable book if you train or if you are an MMA fan.

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2011, 02:28:31 am »
Just finished the fourth Song of Ice and Fire book. All in all, he seems to be writing like an excellent GM should run a gritty role-playing game...draw out the hate with multiple intrigue plots thrown in and build up an extreme distaste for multiple characters that could all be the antagonist, depending on how your favourite characters go.

After reading quite a few books (K.J Parker, I'm looking at you) that didn't have any characters that you could really hate, this was wonderful.

I can only hope this doesn't result in a full party wipe.

It's an excellent series- everything I wanted and more.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 02:29:59 am by Kalam »

Offline Count_RisArch

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • cRPG Player
  • Keep on Rotting in the Free World...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Kalmar Union
  • Game nicks: RisArch
  • IRC nick: RisArch
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2011, 04:56:02 am »
Just finished the fourth Song of Ice and Fire book. All in all, he seems to be writing like an excellent GM should run a gritty role-playing game...draw out the hate with multiple intrigue plots thrown in and build up an extreme distaste for multiple characters that could all be the antagonist, depending on how your favourite characters go.

After reading quite a few books (K.J Parker, I'm looking at you) that didn't have any characters that you could really hate, this was wonderful.

I can only hope this doesn't result in a full party wipe.

It's an excellent series- everything I wanted and more.

Glad your enjoying the ol Martin, his writing is truely fantastic and the brilliant thing with his books is that some of the characters you despise progress intelligently, through the many, many depressing events, into characters you love. Truely a master of Epic Fantasy and my favorite series under Steve Eriksons Matsterpiece. I'm more of a sucker for extreme high fantasy though mainly because I do love the good old "It's over 9000!" mage/demigod power masturabtion. Always give me goosebumps of nerdy pleasure... :lol:
Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.
Imperial Historian Duiker

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2011, 07:50:13 am »
Anything written by Dan Brown (Not just the commercial successes, everything he has written)