Author Topic: What We're Reading  (Read 39645 times)

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
Re: What We're Reading
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2011, 08:25:00 pm »
It's coming!!!http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

Also a miniseries and an RTS.  Woohoo!!

I need to read more, again.

FINALY, i waited so long for this. I wish he was immortal so he could write indefinetly  :mrgreen:
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2011, 08:33:05 pm »
I can't read.

Offline Zypher

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Rí Ollam (King of Poets) of the Celts
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Túatha na nGeal
  • Game nicks: Tuatha_Zypher , Zypher 221b, Zypher ibn Samir, Zypher as Éireann
  • IRC nick: Zypher 221b
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2011, 09:00:18 pm »
Reliving my teenage years right now with a healthy dose of Terry Pratchett.

"The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head."  - Hogfather

Take that Credulous believers :P!
Táimid an daonie saor! Túatha na nGeal Abú!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2011, 05:10:10 am »
Reliving my teenage years right now with a healthy dose of Terry Pratchett.

"The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head."  - Hogfather

Take that Credulous believers :P!

Terry Pratchett remains as one of my all time favorite writers.  I own 20+ of his books.  I have read each book at least 3 times, they are very re-readable, the best part of his books is that you forget all the great jokes after about 6 months and get to enjoy them all over again when you re-read the book.  Great author, I was very sorry to hear that he is sick. 
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline Count_RisArch

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • cRPG Player
  • Keep on Rotting in the Free World...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Kalmar Union
  • Game nicks: RisArch
  • IRC nick: RisArch
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2011, 08:24:03 pm »
Currently reading "The Crippled God" which seems to be a popular choice :D It does, however, make me sad to think that my favorite fantasy series of all time is coming to an end. I remember my Dad giving me Gardens of the Moon, what 10-11 years ago now? Ahhh such memories. Esslemont (spelling?) isn't bad though so at least the Malazan Universe will live on and I look forward to Erikson's next outing be it fantasy or fiction.

I would also recommend the "Takeshi Kovacs" trilogy by Richard Morgan, starting with the first in the series "Altered Carbon" The mixture of Hard-Boiled dectective story coupled with an amazingly dark and believable sci-fi universe makes this compelling stuff. His new-ish Fantasy series "The Steel Remains" is also very good. If you can stomach a homosexual main character and hard, gay sex scenes of course.

Finally I would like to share in the rage at G.R.R Martins massivley delayed next novel. The man knows how to write some damn fine fantasy but I hope the fat cunt will hurry up and finish it before he dies of old age. The HBO series did make me blow my load in a nerdgasm of epic proportions though. Sean Bean strikes me as the perfect cast for Ed Stark and I look forward to this and the next book with equal anticipation.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 11:31:56 pm by Count_RisArch »
Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.
Imperial Historian Duiker

Offline Bull

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2011, 10:11:15 pm »
Finally I would like to share in the rage at G.R.R Martins massivley delayed next novel. The man knows how to write some damn fine fantasy but I hope the fat cunt will hurry up and finish it before he dies of old age. The HBO series did make me blow my load in a nerdgasm of epic proportions though. Sean Bean strikes me as the perfect cast for Ed Stark and I look forward to this and the next book with equal anticipation.

Yes. Down with George RR Martin. The most annoying part is that he's unapologetic regarding his delays, yet knows that even those of us who are pissed off will still buy the next novel. I hate him.

And, when is the HBO series going to air? And how the hell can they air it when his series is likely still 10-12 years from being finished? He says he has at least 2 more books for the series, and this last one took ALMOST SIX DAMN YEARS TO COMPLETE.

Offline Kaelaen

• Count
  • Renown: 163
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
    • H2O Kaelaen's Youtube Videos
  • Faction: Blandiloquent Rampallion Deutereagonists (BRD)
  • Game nicks: Kaelaen_BRD
  • IRC nick: Kaelaen
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2011, 10:23:42 pm »
And, when is the HBO series going to air? And how the hell can they air it when his series is likely still 10-12 years from being finished? He says he has at least 2 more books for the series, and this last one took ALMOST SIX DAMN YEARS TO COMPLETE.

April 17th.
-idlewind

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2011, 01:37:00 pm »
Raymond E. Feist
Terry Pratchett
George R. R. Martin
Patrick Rothfuss
Tolkien
Robert E. Howard

Are my favourite authors. Currently reading "The Wise Man's Fear" by Patrick Rothfuss. The book is massive :S 1000 pages and it's the second book of the trilogy.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2011, 03:30:01 pm »
I haven't sat down and read a book for many years, I might have to dig out one of my old ones and have a read.

Khorin, you mention Raymond E. Feist, I take it you've read Magician then? I read that book like 10 years ago ( or maybe more ) and I still remember it being awesome, I never really got around to reading anymore of his books but what would you recommend?

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2011, 04:38:35 pm »
Yes, and it's good that you've read magician, it's definately one of his best. I recommend following this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_E._Feist (Riftwar LEgacy and Legends of the Riftwar can be read at any time after the Riftwar Saga, I think, but the rest are in chronological order)
The Riftwar trilogy and Empire trilogy are both awesome. I haven't read Dark- or Demon War Sagas or any of the Krondor books(Riftwar Legacy), but I think his books have all been good so far. The only problem is that the main character becomes too powerful, so the author has to come up with reasons to not just solve every problem with the wave of a hand :)

But keep in mind that his best books are the first 2 trilogies(I especially enjoyed Empire trilogy, and you can read it without reading the first trilogy, but it's recommended, there's a few references.) + Krondor's Sons. Of course there are a few exceptions like "Honoured Enemy", which takes place at the same time as Magician and follows a company of soldiers.

Sorry for my rambling and bad sentence structure  :?

Offline Kaelaen

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2011, 11:35:41 pm »
The last series I read while I still had money to buy books was The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe.  Didn't understand it the first time, made about as much sense the second time, and to this day I still cannot understand what all the hubbub was about.  Granted I don't claim to be very intelligent so maybe it was just beyond me.  If you like books that allegedly has a lot of depth to it but spells absolutely none of it out for the reader, read that.

A series I did enjoy immensely and hasn't been mentioned yet is The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.  It's a fantasy/hard-boiled detective fiction mix, but I feel the best way to describe it is with a picture:

(click to show/hide)

Granted, while he doesn't actually ride around downtown Chicago on a zombified Tyrannosaurus Rex all the time, it does measure adequately what one can expect in terms of awesomeness levels.
-idlewind

Offline Belatu

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 111
  • what
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Belatucadros
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2011, 11:54:42 pm »
I only read what I write
My fridge is my shield

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2011, 11:59:34 pm »

A series I did enjoy immensely and hasn't been mentioned yet is The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.  It's a fantasy/hard-boiled detective fiction mix, but I feel the best way to describe it is with a picture:

(click to show/hide)

Granted, while he doesn't actually ride around downtown Chicago on a zombified Tyrannosaurus Rex all the time, it does measure adequately what one can expect in terms of awesomeness levels.

If you liked Jim Butcher, I think you might like Simon R. Green's Nightside series even more. It covers all sorts of badass cliches while oozing sheer style. It's like The Dresden Files on crack, LSD, and 'shrooms all at once.

Offline Kaelaen

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2011, 12:13:40 am »
(click to show/hide)

Taking your word for it.  Feels nice to finally have something to read again while waiting for everyone else to finish their next books.
-idlewind

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2011, 12:26:35 am »
Just finished reading "The Blade Itself" by Joe Abercrombie, it was alright, he plays around with the characters nicely so that some of the "bad" guys at the start did not look so bad and the good guys finished looking not so good.  Overall an enjoyable read.  Not as good as "The Name of the Wind"  but not bad at all.  Recommended

Also just finished the "Warded Man" and "Desert Spear" by Peter V. Brett, both books were very good and I enjoyed the new take on fantasy.  Some of the relationships developed between the characters in the book are not well described and lack a genuine feeling or sometimes even reason for the attachments the characters make.  However the world is unique and the way magic works in this world help to make this book an interesting read.    Definitely Recommended. 
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee