Author Topic: Armor bonus vs arrows  (Read 4515 times)

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
Re: Armor bonus vs arrows
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 06:53:05 pm »
I think archers are overpowered not because of the damage they do but because of their sheer numbers which is ridiculous.

Sure killing plate can take 7-8 arrows but when you have 40 god damn archers in the server  that's a plate guy getting showered and trying to dodge the rain pretty much.

You guys have to understand that topping the scoreboard =/= balance, right now I think the damage is fine FOR THE MOST PART (The full PD archers can one hit any of my chars be it light or heavy armor) but the fact that they're just SO MUCH shooting at you it's really difficult.

I don't want to be a shielder for a reason, but with so much archers it's like I'm practically being forced to become a shielder, I play the game to ... you know play the game, not stay in cover for a full round HOPEING the archers are dead before the end so I can get out and maybe kill 1 guy before the end of the round.

I'm ok with an arrow doing 1/4 of my health for the most part, what I'm not ok with is when I CONSTANTLY have 20 arrows aimed right at me, considering 1-4 arrows can kill me depending on the armor I use I'd say that's overkill.

Quoted for mucho truth.
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline PolePot

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: PolePot_BRD. Squatfurdt. TommyTheCat. CooKuu_Zuulu.
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 08:01:13 pm »
IF that's true, then the inverse is also true. IF 40 papers cover 40 rocks than get yourself a goddamn pair of scissors. You dont want to play with scissors? that's too bad, prepare to eat poached arrows for breakfast.

Even if the other team is even halfway composed of archers (which I have literally NEVER seen) it's your responsibility to adapt to their metagame changes. It's not like you dont have any options here.

1. Play with more teamwork
   A. Roll a shielder/shield-thrower
   B. Roll an archer or  xbowman for anti-archer
   C. Take the pain and get better without a shield
   D. Play somthing else

As an archer I dont make threads about shield walls running over me when there's nothing I can do about it. because they are SUPPOSED to crush me underfoot. and as an archer i'm SUPPOSED to shoot you in the freakin head to keep you away from my shielders and ranged.

Everything Is Working As Intended.
ZUUULUUUUUU!!!!

Offline PolePot

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: PolePot_BRD. Squatfurdt. TommyTheCat. CooKuu_Zuulu.
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 08:04:22 pm »
Hell i've seen plenty of 2handers and polearmers take a shield with them just to the point before they engage with the enemy.
ZUUULUUUUUU!!!!

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 08:14:29 pm »
Archers were already nerfed. I can definitely see a reduction when playing. I have played a 2H for 5 gens, never used a shield, and I have no problem with the way archery is now. Of course I don't like a bunch of arrows flying at me all the time. But you compensate by not being in the front of the line, using cover, etc. The problem I see is that all those arrows you see, half are bolts from crossbows that require ZERO skill investment to use effectively. I know because I've used crossbows plenty of times. I have zero skillpoints in it but can still accurately snipe people.
"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuck’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch

Offline Poetrydog

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Poetrydog, Fallen_Santa_Rudolph, Fallen_Poetryfox
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 11:01:12 pm »
I think archers are overpowered not because of the damage they do but because of their sheer numbers which is ridiculous.

Sure killing plate can take 7-8 arrows but when you have 40 god damn archers in the server  that's a plate guy getting showered and trying to dodge the rain pretty much.

You guys have to understand that topping the scoreboard =/= balance, right now I think the damage is fine FOR THE MOST PART (The full PD archers can one hit any of my chars be it light or heavy armor) but the fact that they're just SO MUCH shooting at you it's really difficult.

I don't want to be a shielder for a reason, but with so much archers it's like I'm practically being forced to become a shielder, I play the game to ... you know play the game, not stay in cover for a full round HOPEING the archers are dead before the end so I can get out and maybe kill 1 guy before the end of the round.

I'm ok with an arrow doing 1/4 of my health for the most part, what I'm not ok with is when I CONSTANTLY have 20 arrows aimed right at me, considering 1-4 arrows can kill me depending on the armor I use I'd say that's overkill.
What I read from this is that if a guy wears plate he should be able to survie going against 40 archers? 40 archers? IMO a guy with black armor going against 40 archers should be able to go even half the way if just 1/4 of them get a hit. That's still 10 arrows!

On another note 40 archers on a server is highly unrealistic. Even more unrealistic is that they would all target you.

The way I see it it wouldn't be realistic that a plate-guy could take on that many archer IRL or would it balance the game.

Hell i've seen plenty of 2handers and polearmers take a shield with them just to the point before they engage with the enemy.
My 2h is a main and what do I do? I have two options as I see it. Go with my sword and nothing else having three free slots that could be used on siegeshields, ladders etc. OR go with a plain board shield. That would still leave me with two free slots for siegeshields and ladders. The plain board shield has a requirement of 2. That means I have to use 2 sp on it, which is nothing if you ask me. If that not ok with you go and grab a hide covered/wodden shield. No requirement at all
Quote from: RamsesXXIX
Running around naked with 80 other guys.

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 11:04:42 pm »
the problem with archers aint archers, its all the stuff that fly around everywhere, allie stuffs too

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 01:54:54 am »
Hmm, everything Ive read from the proponents of this have been making patently false statements to support themselves.

To the OP, if you haven't played the class, STFU until you have.  :idea:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 02:55:03 am »
What I read from this is that if a guy wears plate he should be able to survie going against 40 archers? 40 archers? IMO a guy with black armor going against 40 archers should be able to go even half the way if just 1/4 of them get a hit. That's still 10 arrows!

On another note 40 archers on a server is highly unrealistic. Even more unrealistic is that they would all target you.

The way I see it it wouldn't be realistic that a plate-guy could take on that many archer IRL or would it balance the game.
My 2h is a main and what do I do? I have two options as I see it. Go with my sword and nothing else having three free slots that could be used on siegeshields, ladders etc. OR go with a plain board shield. That would still leave me with two free slots for siegeshields and ladders. The plain board shield has a requirement of 2. That means I have to use 2 sp on it, which is nothing if you ask me. If that not ok with you go and grab a hide covered/wodden shield. No requirement at all

Nay, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anyone in armor should be able to go toe to toe against 40 archers, what I'm saying is mostly the fact that the archer's population is out of control and the battlefield right now is an horizontal hailstorm of axes and arrows and various other projectiles, it's almost like dodging rain.

If we were going according to realism, I'm almost positive that in real life archers were using volleys and not aiming and sniping peoples, but this game is not about realism, honestly balancing archery is going to be tough.

To balance archery right now, we'd have to find a way to make the damage enough to kill peoples but not enough to piss everyone off because arrows almost mean sure death, at the same time we'd have to find a way to make archery interesting for peoples to go archers but uninteresting enough to not have 80% of the playerbase going archers and consequently turning the battlefield into an horizontal rain.

Nowadays to make sure I get to the battle "relatively" unscathed, I HAVE to get minimum 2 shield skill on any of my melee dudes, I got a couple of melee guys with no shield skill and honestly getting to the battle while trying to dodge an horizontal rain is quite a pain.

Also, about your shield argument, 2 skill points is still 2 skill points that could be useful in something else, shields also slows you down by alot, so basically even if you buy a shield to protect yourself against archers in the end you gimp yourself in other ways, by slowing yourself down and using skill points that could be used somewhere else.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 02:56:38 am by Patricia »

Offline Mizzles

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 07:56:30 am »
Alright, my qualifications for saying this are such. I've played an archer melee hybrid since WAY before the upkeep patch and I haven't seen less archers, "pure" or otherwise EVER before. I am 100% willing to agree that before the patch archery needed some nerfing but I think now its getting out of hand. Even with all the nerfs I am still playing my archer hybrid mainly because I enjoy doing it. Though now I use a Khergit bow. The simple reason for this is as such, nothing else is accurate enough to score the headshots archery requires these days, and there is no point going heavier, the damage doesn't scale very well. Just yesterday I was on siege when I observed that I required 7 long range shots (PD 5 Bodkin) into a player in mail to kill him. I think that is a bit excessive. I would argue that at this point in time most of the ranged fire observed in the game consists of bolts and thrown weapons. If anything I would suggest a damage boost or to reduce the armor mitigation on arrows. The simple reasoning for this is that I cannot nor can most other archers inflict a reasonable amount of damage, either to inconvenience or kill any other player. The exception being that I score a headshot and even then they can't be wearing any decent helmet. I'm not sure who it was but I scored 2 headshots on a "tincan" from fairly close range and he didn't die, although warranted he had a great helm, and likely a bunch of IF. My point is that if anything archery at this point needs to either become more accurate, OR to become more lethal again. I'm sick of scoring 95% of my kills with a sword.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 08:04:17 am »
Yup, shot Goretooth in the head point blank with a warbow and Bodkin with 10PD and laughed my ass off due to his response of ignoring it and mowing down two teammates.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline EliteDragon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eastern Tsardom (RIP)
  • Game nicks: EliteDragon
  • IRC nick: EliteDragon
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2011, 08:13:33 am »
Simply put, archers DO NOT need to get nerfed anymore. Even if you were to go up against 40 archers (EXTREMELY unreasonable), you kinda have teammates for a reason. Call them over or fall back. If you complain about getting hit before you even reach the archers or when retreating, grab a 0 requirement shield. Their costs are pretty much negligible from upkeep as well.

Offline Franklin

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Boomshanka
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2011, 10:49:59 am »

If we were going according to realism, I'm almost positive that in real life archers were using volleys and not aiming and sniping peoples, but this game is not about realism, honestly balancing archery is going to be tough.

1) Depends on whether or not you were Welsh and had a load of English bastards to aim at.  :mrgreen:

2) If people want some semi realism to archery then Bodkins should be buffed against plate and chain and broadheads nerfed against same.  That way archers would have to select different ammo according to situation.

Really tho everything re archers is ok apart from the speed of firing and arrow flight.  If you nerf it to much though everyone that had a bow would switch to crossbow and then the bitching would really start coz those things can dish the shit.  :D

As for numbers playing......where?  I see more shields and 2h than I do ranged.

Wearing plate in M&B makes you realy slow and a target for archers (especialy if you have no shield). I dont think the benefit of plate is high enough to use it, i prefer just going lighter and dodging because in plate i just get kited and picked off by archers or (because im so slow) killed by all the flying stuff when on the frontlines.

Erm.. even tanks require support on the front line.  If you go off being the lone ranger (like everyone else) expect to be ganked.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:52:50 am by Franklin »

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2011, 12:16:47 pm »
If melee ppl need teamwork to fight against archers, i don't see why archers wouldn't need teamwork to kill melee.

If you can't kill melee armored ppl then call your archer teammate to help you.
Some says they need 5 arrows to kill armored ppl, but in the same way a 1hander will need 5 hit to kill the same guy.
I guess that's what we call balance?

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2011, 04:02:33 pm »
Archers seriously need a wp boost, at least early on. Im a pretty good archer in native, but here, even with 138 wp on a longbow I dont seem able to plant an headshot on a target standing less than 10 m away from me, let alone hit moving targets at poit-blanc range. Just today, I was trying to shoot a 2 h guy constantly chasing me at close range and after over 6 failed attempts to even hit him I get slashed from behind by someone else. Talk about annoying, it's like the devs are trying to make a melee only game.

It's like Mizzles said, something is very wrong when archers end up doing most of their kills with melee weapons.

I'd suggest that archers get a large increase in wp early on. I mean, it's anything but realistic when my 40 year old char has 3 times less accuracy then I did in real life with a longbow at the age 20 with only a few days of practice.

As for damage, I dont care much about the tin cans since historicaly they were supposed to resist arrows. Though anyone not wearing plate armor shouldn't be able to resist more than 2 bodkin arrows fired from a longbow.

Altough even worse then that are the horses, they are way too resistant to arrows. It's not an uncommon sight to see unarmoured horses ridding around with several arrows stuck in their bodies. Just a couple of days ago I shot one in the skull with my longbow and he just kept on going.

I dont know the plans for a future patch, but archery needs a boost and fast.

Offline Furax

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2011, 05:29:58 pm »
Archery does perhaps need a buff, but only in arrow flight speed, theyr dodgeable like throwing axes theese days.

But it does most certainly not need another nerf, im pretty sure in the history of online gaming there has never been a class of anything in any game which has been so utterly nerfed as archery was in the great patch.

Most people whine about throwers theese days..(allthough as archers have compensated for there gimpness I have started to see more "friendly archer" comments.)Throwers also got nerfed in the patch, they were better before, you just notice it alot more now cause you simply ignore archers. And im positive a shitload of people has rolled throwers because they think its sooOO overpowered, thus creating masses of throwers, which makes it rain throwing weapons, which in turn again kills you= OPOPOPnerfitalltohell

edit: lol@friendly archer transelation=P
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 05:31:18 pm by Furax »