Author Topic: Armor bonus vs arrows  (Read 4510 times)

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
Armor bonus vs arrows
« on: February 16, 2011, 09:39:37 am »
+1
I was thinking about this recently and maybe its a good idea to add a "bonus against arrows" to some armor, starting from the plate armor. (maybe even the heraldic transitional armor) It wouldnt be anything dramatic, perhaps where it took 4-5 arrows to kill now takes 7-8 (random numbers). A 20-30% decrease in arrow dmg (perhaps make the same bonus apply for lower tier trowing weapons also; bolts and jarids/javs excluded).

Wearing plate in M&B makes you realy slow and a target for archers (especialy if you have no shield). I dont think the benefit of plate is high enough to use it, i prefer just going lighter and dodging because in plate i just get kited and picked off by archers or (because im so slow) killed by all the flying stuff when on the frontlines.
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Wulzzz

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Armor bonus vs arrows
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 09:45:42 am »
I already need over 7 arrows to kill plate.When he keeps moving like crazy i must easily spend around 30 arrows...
Not to mention that sometimes the arrows bounce off.

Times of jesus plate knights are over.Please accept it ;)

Also think a bit tactical.. it's not only about the items.
When you don't have a shield-->dont make urself an easy target to ranged weapons.
I've seen plate knights  in the defender team leaving the cover of their city to "CHARGE" in, thinking plate allows them to jesus kamikaze kill all.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 09:50:17 am by Wulzzz »

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 09:50:50 am »
Well, tbh something needs to be done to slightly lower the ammount of flinyg stuff in this game cause its getting out of control.

If i wanted to play a shooter i would just go play Cod or CS.

Offline Z_E_N

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 09:51:48 am »
Fluffy did you really not play this back pre-patch when archers were actually good?

Offline Wulzzz

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 09:54:44 am »
The amount of arrows already got reduced.
Throwing guys don't have that many munition too.

So i guess that you have to adjust your playstyle.

If i wanted to play a shooter i would just go play Cod or CS.

Or a boxing game for melee only ;)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 09:57:05 am by Wulzzz »

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 10:38:42 am »
Fluffy did you really not play this back pre-patch when archers were actually good?

No, i have never played an archer, i just dont see the fun in it, i played a trower hybrid for 1 gen and now im a pure 2h

Offline HeroZero

• Wannabe lawyer
  • Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 04:12:21 pm »
No, i have never played an archer, i just dont see the fun in it, i played a trower hybrid for 1 gen and now im a pure 2h

Yeah...kindly shut up.

Given I'm just trying archery to see why all of them were complaining, but it's true. Throwers and crossbowmen out perform an archer in almost any given map in any given situation.
Just because I troll doesn't mean I don't care.

Offline Poetrydog

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Poetrydog, Fallen_Santa_Rudolph, Fallen_Poetryfox
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 04:56:02 pm »
Archers do cut damage now. That made plate better against archers. So I think the topic is irrelevant.
Quote from: RamsesXXIX
Running around naked with 80 other guys.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 05:08:27 pm »
Archers do cut damage now. That made plate better against archers. So I think the topic is irrelevant.
QFT.
I wear plate sometimes, makes you pretty much immune to arrows as HIS SUGGESTION IS ALREADY IN PLACE.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline DKriza

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Bandits
  • Game nicks: Kriza_the_Prankster
  • IRC nick: Kriza
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 05:24:42 pm »
Its not about plate or damage from ranged weapons, its about the number of this type of players and projectiles flying around. As a 2h or polearm without shield, its impossible to enjoy this game as it is now. I dont mind getting killed by ranged  :twisted: , but interruptions in melee fight or not being able to get out of the cover is the main problem.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kaelaen

• Count
  • Renown: 163
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
    • H2O Kaelaen's Youtube Videos
  • Faction: Blandiloquent Rampallion Deutereagonists (BRD)
  • Game nicks: Kaelaen_BRD
  • IRC nick: Kaelaen
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 05:36:20 pm »
None of my alts are archers nor do any of them wear shields or armor.  Neither does my girlfriend's character when she plays.  We enjoy the game nonetheless, so 'impossible to enjoy' is a bit inaccurate.  I know neither of us are very good at the game but there are several people on the NA alarm list who don't wear shields who manage to top the scoreboard just fine, if you care about examples that aren't bad players. 

In my opinion it's far more frustrating being crab clawed by shielders than having an archer shoot at me during melee, at least with the archer I can attempt to put his teammate between us.  But crab claws... no idea how HarmlessPeasant gets out of those.  What a bandit.

[edit] Oh yeah, to stay relevant to the topic as people have mentioned plate is already very arrow resistant.  Me and 3 other archers were shooting at this plated guy fjording a river once, 8 arrows later he finally managed to walk behind a shielder so we couldn't shoot him/her anymore.  I think he/she died to a jarid a few seconds after landing though.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 05:39:31 pm by Kaelaen »
-idlewind

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 06:27:14 pm »
I think archers are overpowered not because of the damage they do but because of their sheer numbers which is ridiculous.

Sure killing plate can take 7-8 arrows but when you have 40 god damn archers in the server  that's a plate guy getting showered and trying to dodge the rain pretty much.

You guys have to understand that topping the scoreboard =/= balance, right now I think the damage is fine FOR THE MOST PART (The full PD archers can one hit any of my chars be it light or heavy armor) but the fact that they're just SO MUCH shooting at you it's really difficult.

I don't want to be a shielder for a reason, but with so much archers it's like I'm practically being forced to become a shielder, I play the game to ... you know play the game, not stay in cover for a full round HOPEING the archers are dead before the end so I can get out and maybe kill 1 guy before the end of the round.

I'm ok with an arrow doing 1/4 of my health for the most part, what I'm not ok with is when I CONSTANTLY have 20 arrows aimed right at me, considering 1-4 arrows can kill me depending on the armor I use I'd say that's overkill.

Offline Vygar

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vygar_PxC, Divinicus_PxC, Tegashi_PxC
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 06:32:00 pm »
I play two characters that run around without a shield.  I think I picked up one level 0 shield whilst on the battlefield once.  I don't have any issue with live arrows or bolts flying through the air as I tend to use terrain, cover, and patience quite heavily.  Thrown weapons are another story but that's only because this class of projectile is imbalanced. Even in my Banded armour, it takes 4-5 arrows to bring me down.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 06:33:29 pm »
Archery/crossbows are fairly well balanced nowdays. Throwing..... a whole different story.
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline _451_ATS

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 06:45:45 pm »
I think archers are overpowered not because of the damage they do but because of their sheer numbers which is ridiculous.

There is not that many archers. On any given server the average would be about 10 archers to 60 players, 1/6th of the entire population. The most you would get -if- the server is full would be 30 archers.

I don't want to be a shielder for a reason, but with so much archers it's like I'm practically being forced to become a shielder, I play the game to ... you know play the game, not stay in cover for a full round HOPEING the archers are dead before the end so I can get out and maybe kill 1 guy before the end of the round.

There is no practically being forced. If you want to run around without a shield with just a two handed weapon then go right ahead. You'll just have to be complacent with it now that you'll be open to all projectiles (Thrown, arrows, bolts) and cavalry who know how to couch.

The end result is: Your play style has a counter to it and you do not like it. When it takes more than 6 arrows to kill a target, something should be done to either increase how effective arrows are, or decrease how effective armor is.