Poll

Do horses need a buff?

Yes
93 (45.1%)
No
113 (54.9%)

Total Members Voted: 206

Author Topic: Calvary needs a buff.  (Read 12926 times)

Offline Safavid

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • "The Sultan's own...Sipahi of The Sublime Porte"
    • View Profile
    • The Islamic Union
  • Faction: The Turks (Kapikulu)
  • Game nicks: Kapikulu_Safavid
Re: Calvary needs a buff.
« Reply #150 on: March 17, 2011, 06:10:13 pm »
Please make cavalry...especially Horse Archers stronger!  they have no other advantage than bow/arrow and that has been nerfed already.  Also, they are one of the hardest builds. 
"Nasrun minallahi ve fethun garib. Ve bessiril Muminin!"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Other forum members should not be able to mute somebody by + or -.  That is the worst policy ever seen on a forum.  Look at me...muted due to biggotry for years!

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #151 on: March 17, 2011, 10:28:26 pm »
Please make cavalry...especially Horse Archers stronger!  they have no other advantage than bow/arrow and that has been nerfed already.  Also, they are one of the hardest builds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WCavWZIUic&feature=player_profilepage#t=17s

Offline Thtb

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 17, 2011, 10:51:33 pm »
I think the over dominance of throwing/crossbow weapons and 2 handers provides a bit of a problem for the low health horses (and most horses with good hp or armor are nearly impossible to pay for).

In the beginning it was mount and blade, now we have chuck and spam...

A basic rock paper siccsor system would be "inf beats horses" "Ranged beat inf" "Horses beat Ranged" ... but horses simply don't if they see you coming. My palfray (2x heirloomed) just dies to a single bow shot by a spected archer or a single siege crossbow bolt by some randrom mook with 0 wpf in crossbows.

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #153 on: March 17, 2011, 11:11:59 pm »
Before asking for a cav buff go play native a little and you will see how boring it is when at least 60% of the players are cav. One of the things that makes cRPG unique is that it's focused rather on infantry (and on ranged spam sadly) and in my opinion it should stay this way.

Cav is already balanced, it just requires more skill than in native, there are plenty cav players who top the scoreboard on a regular basis, so I see no problem here.

Offline justme

• Count
  • Renown: 188
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_Elsupreme
« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2011, 11:24:38 pm »
HA are so annoying and doing almost nothing in battle...

as for the buff of cav, this is nonsense, i started carry xbow only to kill horses...

Offline Safavid

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • "The Sultan's own...Sipahi of The Sublime Porte"
    • View Profile
    • The Islamic Union
  • Faction: The Turks (Kapikulu)
  • Game nicks: Kapikulu_Safavid
« Reply #155 on: March 18, 2011, 12:11:08 am »
I think the over dominance of throwing/crossbow weapons and 2 handers provides a bit of a problem for the low health horses (and most horses with good hp or armor are nearly impossible to pay for).

In the beginning it was mount and blade, now we have chuck and spam...

A basic rock paper siccsor system would be "inf beats horses" "Ranged beat inf" "Horses beat Ranged" ... but horses simply don't if they see you coming. My palfray (2x heirloomed) just dies to a single bow shot by a spected archer or a single siege crossbow bolt by some randrom mook with 0 wpf in crossbows.

This guy is on the mark...also, I do horseback riding and know that it's not that easy to take down even an unarmored horse.  Regarding Horse Archery and Archery in general, you can be much more accurate in real life than a crossbow that shoots like a gun and is not as accurate as a good person with a bow.   In regards to 2H sword, I am a Kendoka and wield a Katana in real life in addition to a Shinai and Bokken.  Really, the nerfs are unecessary and devalue some of the best weapons and equipment.  cRPG is cool because of the customization factor, but that does not mean you have to destroy the "Mounting" and either "Blading" or "Bowing". :) You add all this to the big laggy low FPS maps (blank x) and you got a constipation fest combined with a major snafu.  Why are people so afraid of Native?  I wish there was a cRPG mod that you could just customize your weapons, equipment, armor etc.  Nobody on Native lets you ever use any of the higher equipment like armored horses/etc.  So, basically all the heavy stuff is never really used in the game and maybe should have never been put in considering so many people just have such a hatred for it.   Basically, all people want is a 2H sword and a Crossbow.  As long as they have these two, they don't care if the game goes to hell in one major nerfing snafu fest.  I may be ranting, but it's due to frustration of being able to use all the components of the game in a way that suits a persons style.  Even with a maxed out HA, it is really useless compared to Native where you could fight using multiple weapons, which is what real eastern horsemen did...use a bow, sword, shield, spear, lance, etc.  There were detailed cross training books (military manuals) written in the Islamic world during the Crusades that taught one soldier to multi-task and do the job of many.  A Sipahi could dismount and be a pikeman instantly.  My point is, the more nerfing goes on it just devalues things that should have precidence.  In real battle yes, people would crap their pants seeing a fully armored Mameluke or Crusader on an armored horse.  The difference is that the Mameluke would use sword, lance, and bow while the Crusader only used lance/sword. 

Here is the history of the Ottomans and the Janissaries just to get a feel for period combat:

PART 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKtOYhn-hkA

PART 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj33m1TO_ew

PART 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeSwqRGJh6s

BTW POOPY....was that a movie about the Dutch MP and his family?

« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 12:15:56 am by Safavid »
"Nasrun minallahi ve fethun garib. Ve bessiril Muminin!"

Other forum members should not be able to mute somebody by + or -.  That is the worst policy ever seen on a forum.  Look at me...muted due to biggotry for years!

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • IRC nick: Reinhardt
« Reply #156 on: March 18, 2011, 02:01:57 am »
As a light, medium, heavy, and "RHINO!!!" cavalryking, I say that cavalry is effective most of the time. I go positive all the time with: Segmented helm,  gambeason, Balanced Heavy lance, khergit boots, leather gloves, Balanced Knightly Arming sword, kite shield, and Heavy palfrey. I also earn money with this...

However, I will agree that horses are made of wet paper. They're like a horribly made origami piece or something.
"A leader is a dealer in hope."

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 18, 2011, 02:08:02 am »
here is what i suggest

a.) prices from palfrey to plated charger are reduced by 40%

b.) horse prices are reduced by 25%, given +30 health and +15 armor, +2 riding requirement

c.) make horses unbreakable, and give them +30 health and +15 armor.

d.) insert a better suggestion here!

Also, Respectfully, have fun breaking the game.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #158 on: March 18, 2011, 04:25:03 am »
D. face your scrubbery as cavalry. Improve, stop making bullshit threads.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 18, 2011, 02:40:50 pm »
All in all, cavalry doesn't need a buff. The only thing that needs fixing is (very slightly) the effectiveness of pikes, and OFC the original nerf throwing idea. Archers don't kill my horse too often, but throwers, xbowmen, and pikemen are all other things to worry about.

Offline Roran Hawkins

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hedge Knight
  • Game nicks: Roran
« Reply #160 on: March 19, 2011, 10:19:11 am »
pikes are fine the way they are, they are the N1 cavweapons of all times. But I never knew throwing nor archery nor Xbow was the best anticavalryweapon of all times, like it is in cRPG. Anything ranged can make the current papermaché horses look like a heap of dead paper in 3 shots maximum.

Offline Thtb

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 19, 2011, 12:57:29 pm »
@Safavid: Thanks

My main dead reason are throwing weapons (1 shot you even in mail/1 shot my spirited palfrey) and no, I'm not talking about throwing lances.

Sometimes (especially on cav unfriendly map) i dismount and just use a siege crossbow with ~80 wpf... I can one shot 90% of cav horses/players as well.

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nemeth
  • IRC nick: Nemeth
« Reply #162 on: March 19, 2011, 01:02:22 pm »
Sometimes (especially on cav unfriendly map) i dismount and just use a siege crossbow with ~80 wpf... I can one shot 90% of cav horses/players as well.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #163 on: March 19, 2011, 01:13:04 pm »
Anything ranged can make the current papermaché horses look like a heap of dead paper in 3 shots maximum.

IRL you can kill a horse in 1 shot from a well placed xbow bolt or arrow to the lungs, heart, head, areas of the neck, etc.  Out of curiousity, do you hunt?  It's not like decent hunters had to make animals look like boromir in order to bring them down, even way back when during the dark ages.

~Incoming subjective viewpoints~
Cav are part of the ever present gay factor in warband and crpg in particular.  Right up there with everyone having a ranged weapon.  Of course why do half of us infantry have a ranged weapon?  Because of all the damn cavalry and ranged players.  It's this stupid vicious cycle.  The only other option is to roll as a shielder with a backup pike I suppose.

Cav are fine.  When played decent they're flat out gamechangers and borderline OP.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Thtb

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 19, 2011, 01:51:58 pm »
*out of context quote*

Knowing both sides of a balance discussion does not devalue it, quite the opposite.