Author Topic: Massive multiplayer strategy games and their metagame. Can something be done?  (Read 12639 times)

Offline Erasmas

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The crows had come
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Erasmas_the_Grey
Kesh - you want fun? Start the war. But do not cry about how other factions decide to play the game, it is not your business, and not your choice. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lepintoi

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Shu Han
  • Game nicks: Lepintoi
+2
Starting a war is pointless because you will be wiped off the map by the carebears...

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
+1
I really like your suggestion Cooties.

Something along the lines of Crusader Kings (Paradox game). If you have x% of fiefs under your control or your vassals you could claim a title.
A title gave you the right to tax people.

In strat it could work something along these lines:

If the map is to be four times larger than now, then lets have 4 kingdoms.
Each Kingdom contains 5 duchies. You can claim a Duchy title when you have 66% of the fiefs in a duchy. HAving the duchy title gives you the right to tax every fief owner in the duchy.
When you control 3 of the 5 duchy titles or your vassals (Must be official vassals through an ingame system), you can claim the king title.
When you have the king title you can set a tax for the kingdom and what not.

Add to that:
- Attrition
- Vassal diplomatic system

It requires a larger map.

And we have something going.

Edit: Oh and if you gain 3 kingdoms you gain the title emperor and win the game!

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 04:58:57 pm by Aemaelius »
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
Kesh - you want fun? Start the war. But do not cry about how other factions decide to play the game, it is not your business, and not your choice.

This is a suggestion corner for next strategus and so yes its my business to post the failures of previous strategus - and it lies far more with the playerbase than the developers.  This game has a huge amount of potential for great fun and yes, FCC has started a crazy amount of wars trying to shake things up in strat 2.0 and 3.0, but all that happens is there is one mega-alliance that basically just promises lands and/or winning (through having more people than all the othe players in the game combined) to every clan that ever gets defeated or whose leadership has a meta-game mentality. 

It started with strat 1.0 with 22nd, Grey Order and Legio Italica being incorporated at different points into the russian DRZ, STR, BIA alliance, between strat 1.0 and 2.0 it was Risen and BashiBazouk, strat 2.0 it was  Hospitallers, Occitan, Chaos, ATS (mercing heavily for you after defeated), White Company and LL (some EU clans forgetting their names) and in or before strat 3.0 it was desert alliance of 8 other clans ( and I dont know at what stage Ravens got involved in, pre-strat 3.0?).  The only clans that have left so far are Chaos and ATS and White Company (LL pretty much dissolves recently) - what a surprise - all NA clans.  The metagaming mentality of the leadership wanting to be on winning side - even if its boring as fuck for the every day player in their clan - is lacking all imagination as all these clans never fight each other and the ultimate end - EVERY FUCKING CLAN ONE BIG HAPPY FAMILY IN A GAME DEVELOPED FOR WARS AND BATTLES!

You never change things up or try anything new or enjoy a dynamic shifting game, so its always the same boring people fighting each other rather than actually having shifting relations and thrilling wars and new relationships with former enemies.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:03:17 pm by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
+4
Could it be, that this alliance is doing this because they have common, mutual enemies?

Strat 1, the point was to wipe out the weakend templar bloc, strat 2, it was a grand alliance to wipe  FCC out because FCC had declared war on NE, mercs, and then Chaos, and DRZ.

Now FCC has same allies, doing same shit, and you wonder WHY people ally/fight against you? Bah! Learn your own history, kesh.

Offline Gheritarish le Loki

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
This is not even a matter of enemies or friends, i can't say i like the way carebear alliance are done, but it's quite logical that this things happens.

There is only advantage to have allies and be a part of a big alliance, why ppl would not make it?
Kesh you are harsh against this carebear but it's the system that drive to this behaviour, not the ppl thinking or will.

As i said, i don't like carebear alliance and i'm not a big fan of Drz, but there is plenty of other thread where you can spitt your personnal dislike for a faction, if this thread could stay unpersonnal and just try to discuss on a new system, that could be better for everybody.

TLDR : no flame war on this thread!

Offline Lepintoi

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Shu Han
  • Game nicks: Lepintoi
+1
Ok can someone recap the good ideas in this thread ^^

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
Kesh - you want fun? Start the war. But do not cry about how other factions decide to play the game

He already did. And it wasn't too much fun for him in it, since he didn't really win a lot, as he hoped for but he sure cried a lot. For the next version of Strategos he should be changing his avatar into something more appropriate:

(click to show/hide)
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
+1
Ok can someone recap the good ideas in this thread ^^
Mute Kesh permanently on the forums? Takes away 95% of the whining 85% of the made up BS.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Thax

• Knight
  • Renown: 70
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thax
+1
In the "vote for your continent thread", I tried to explain the differences in NA/EU play styles and the reasons for them. The best part about strat 3.0 has been the forum drama but thats getting boring too.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Some really good suggestions in here...
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline SoA_Sir_ODHarry

• Baron
  • Renown: 134
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ODharry
As it seems its just too simpel too gain large forces which wipe out any chance too have fun in strat for smaller clans/alliances and clanless players.
And when u think about  there is no way too get a system which prevent the effect that manys more powerfull than less with the current Battelmode.
So it is the simplest solution, if its not the singel choice ,too balance this problem with 1 or more than 1  battelmodes which gives small forces at least a chance too win against bigger ones.
Also its just too easy too create a big army and take action with it.
Therfor are already several good ideas.
The basic term for a better "Armysystem" suits for strat is:

Bigger Plans bigger Problems.

Biger Army bigger Problems too provide the Upkeep
Bigger Army bigger Problems too equip it
Bigger Army bigger Problems too move it from point A too B too take Action C
Bigger amount of Fiefs Bigger Problems too hold it.
U want a bigger Treasur than u need a bigger Economy.

So if u have smaller Plans u have smaller Problems.
currently there is almost no sense too have small plans because there is no place for them in strat and so there is no place except for Big Clans/alliances with small problems.

So why not set some simpel Borders through  Battelmodes givin everybody the chance to realize their Plans big or small ones?
My idea:

-RAIDS
The Name says all..
Too make them usefull there need to be a strict relativ small Cap of Troops which can be used for.
In my Opinion Raids should be a Option for every singel Player in Strat so everybody has the Chance too get some Fun and wealth and they got the potential to be an easy medium too help balanceing the power of Clans.
Too entrench them as a component its also neccesary too give small  armys a good speedbonus over bigger ones...
Also the total amount of equipment should affect an armys speedbonus.
And the Raiders need a save Place where they can hide/Trade/recruit, otherwise they are nonsense or again such an Option for Big Faction members.
How could they balance Clans?:
If Raids are a everyday thing they gotta deal with , it would take some ressources too deal with them and thats ressources they cant use for otherhings.
It would be neccary for them to steady divide some troops and equip too keep they Territory save.

Battels:
simpel set some borders too the amount of troops that will give small Clans a far bigger chance to achieve something.
1/3 of the smaller sides troops as maximum advantage sounds fair too me.
so there is no final border of tickets.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 08:08:52 pm by SoA_Sir_ODHarry »
Crob: i'm in duel tryin to not be shit
Crob: now i'm running round eu2 with a dagger

JOIN The Horde NAO
       http://steamcommunity.com/groups/F-POC

Offline Erasmas

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 138
  • The crows had come
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Erasmas_the_Grey
+3
I do not dare to sum things up, but let me express few of my personal thoughts about Strat. These are general as the matter is extensive enough to make Ph.D. on that. Save yourself the TL;DR comments, if you don't want to read it - it is your problem.  And I want to stress that it is not addressed AGAINST anyone it is just my personal view on Strategus as a whole. 

I wrote that post more or less at the same as Harry wrote his, so you will see that we have a lot in common. I do not agree with the last part of Harry's post, about the battles - if you managed to move your big and heavy snail army - you did a great job and therefore should be able to use it.

WARNING: Opening all spoilers at once will scare you off.

GENERAL VIEW
(click to show/hide)

CURRENT STRAT ROUND
(click to show/hide)

SMALL FACTIONS AND INDIVIDUALS
(click to show/hide)

BIG VS. SMALL
(click to show/hide)

ALLIANCES AND DIPLOMACY
(click to show/hide)

RAIDING
(click to show/hide)

SIZE OF THE MAP AND EU/NA SPLIT
(click to show/hide)

You guys may be surprised that I (being member of the large faction) wrote a lot about making big factions weaker. Well, I believe that it will make things more interesting for everyone. I do want to worry about next steps, consider decisions. I do want this game to be difficult.

All in all I think that this Strat round has great potential. Majority of changes (such as increasing XP from Strat battles or tweaking maneuverability), and tests of them may be done without wipe. 

Ok, it turned out to be a little chaotic, maybe I will comb that mess later.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 11:10:17 pm by Erasmas »

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
+2
Could it be, that this alliance is doing this because they have common, mutual enemies?

Strat 1, the point was to wipe out the weakend templar bloc, strat 2, it was a grand alliance to wipe  FCC out because FCC had declared war on NE, mercs, and then Chaos, and DRZ.

Now FCC has same allies, doing same shit, and you wonder WHY people ally/fight against you? Bah! Learn your own history, kesh.

lol Anders... learn our history before you tell us to learn it.

we picked a fight with mercs, fought a long bloody battle before agreeing on terms of peace, turned around and joined drz and fallen in their plan against NE, took land from NE, were immediately attacked by DRZ once our NAP ran out because DRZ made peace with NE factions as soon as they got all the free land they could get, at which point they then allied with the remnants of the NE in order to attack FCC and gain more land... which didnt really work at all... and then 2.0 wiped.

we actually tried to get along with DRZ in 2.0 but they greatly underestimated us and tried for some easy land, and i think they hate us now because we were showing everyone that they arent invincible.

Offline Kalp

• Marshall
  • Renown: 750
  • Infamy: 253
  • Form ranks, you maggots!
    • View Profile
    • Kahhhaaargaar!!! Uuurrr!!!
  • Game nicks: Kalp_the_Grey
  • IRC nick: Kalp
- ability to transfer gold to cRPG at a decent ratio (it is done already)
Where is that option ?  :mrgreen:
The goal of Strategus battles shouldnt be to deprive your enemies of players, but to have full roster both sides and have the gear/tactics/strategy win the day rather than lack of merc support.