Author Topic: Letter to the devs (Compliments/feedback/questions)  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Xandaroth

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Letter to the devs (Compliments/feedback/questions)
« on: November 22, 2011, 05:52:16 pm »
+3
Hi guys!

First off I'd like to start this thread by saying excellent work. I've never seen a game like this come to fruition, yet I've always wanted one to. I'm actually a little sad I jumped on the wagon kind of late, but hopefully c-RPG still has plenty of years in its lifespan. The mod works great, no bugs, no hassles, extremely in depth class customization and I love how varied the gameplay is between all of the possible builds. My current favorite is the crushthrough pure strength build using the Long Maul and Quarterstaff. I also love how dangerous the mod makes things - I've come to truly fear archers and cavalry, but being an NES generation gamer, I love being challenged and I'm forcing myself past all the learning curves with a smile on my face.

As far as feedback goes, I have nothing negative to say at all. Actually an idea struck me, if you guys had free time to mull over some future patch ideas - Passive stat talents. Imagine gameplay bonuses granted automatically once a player reaches extremely high amounts of STR, AGI, or even both. Maybe abilities like a wider impact radius with the kick ability and instead of a flinch effect, a full-out knockdown on things the kick hits at high levels of STR, or even a weapon cleave effect (Weapons swing through targets that die on impact, hitting the target beyond it). Ideas for AGI could be things like removing the self-stun when landing after a jump, or perhaps a very brief run-speed boost immediately after landing a killing blow. And for all of you utility people, maybe talents granted when reaching high levels of both STR and AGI, like passive bonus armor, or a bonus +1 skill point per level (rolled back, so if this talent was achieved at level 20, the player would receive +20 skill points and then an extra point at each level gained in the future). Obviously this would have to be something left for long periods when there's no need for dev activity, cause this reeks of an awful lot of coding lol. But, just an idea for now.

And now, for questions. I have two. Those of you who are familiar with the Long Maul and high Power Strike levels know... team kills happen unless you're shy. I confess I've done my share, but whenever I do, I apologize whole heartedly. And truthfully, my smashing arcs are really wreaking havoc on the enemy team and I'm seeing a lot of x5's even despite the team kills, and nobody I've killed has really complained. I can imagine anyone who's fighting side by side with me knows I'm not here to troll, and for the most part, my TKs are treated like they're completely and sometimes hilariously accidental.

But today, I was scolded with pink text D: I wasn't banned and I've been playing very cautiously since then... but now my team is suffering round losses because being shy to hit my teammates means being shy to hit my enemies too. I don't really want to invest in a different weapon because there really isn't anything with knockdown, crushthrough, and the weapon's reach to compare. Could someone do me a favor and explain the detailed rules on team killing and bans? I've respec'ed a dozen times and so far this build seems to be the one I play best as... but holding back is really hurting my team's success. Any advice? D:

Second question would be - Has the dev team ever considered making c-RPG a full-time game with Steam support? I read up and discovered that's basically how With Fire and Sword got its shine - it started out as a mod for Warband. I paid retail price for that thing, and it wasn't bad... but since playing this, I'm thinking you guys deserved my $15 instead. I'm just curious if you guys have given it any thought.

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
Re: Letter to the devs (Compliments/feedback/questions)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 06:45:56 pm »
Nice post.

Official server rules are stickied in the announcement section: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,2606.0.html

Don't worry about an admin warning you. If you keep apologizing afterwards and don't kill or teamwound anyone intentionally, you'll be fine.
Tk's happen in cRPG. That's okay. You'll find that most admins are reasonable guys. It can be hard to 'see' the difference between accidents and intentional griefing though, so sometimes we warn and intimidate a bit just for good measure.  :wink:

Maybe some dev can awnser your second question. I've already sent a mail to Gabe Newell praising cRPG and begging for a valve supported cRPG 2, but I'm afraid that's just a bit of naive optimism on my part. Steam supported cRPG2 with a brand new high budget engine would be awesome though.  :D

Offline Xandaroth

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 07:45:48 pm »
I fully agree. I'm going around telling people this is Battlefield 4: Skyrim. If it does happen though, I hope it's not too graphically advanced. I'm running a GeForce GTX 260 and I can barely manage to keep the game shiny by removing corpses lol.

And yeah, I wasn't mad about the mod thing. Poor guy probably deals with intentional TKing so much, these guys just want to clean up their servers. I just wanted to dodge the ol' malevolent admin eye XD

Also, pure strength build with all points into Power Strike is hilarious. I'm level 24, up to 32 strength and 10 power strike, and everyone on the field is complaining about "all the people with strength builds" and "blunt damage sounds are bugged".

The reason this is funny is because I'm the only one on the field with a blunt weapon and a strength build right now.

Offline Skysong

• Knight
  • Renown: 57
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Guard_Skysong
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 08:50:23 pm »
Maybe some dev can awnser your second question. I've already sent a mail to Gabe Newell praising cRPG and begging for a valve supported cRPG 2, but I'm afraid that's just a bit of naive optimism on my part. Steam supported cRPG2 with a brand new high budget engine would be awesome though.  :D

Valve did it for dota but it had already taken its place in competitive tournaments. If there were some guild wars style tournaments and rankings instead of strategus, cRPG could get some attention from investors too.

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 09:59:37 pm »
It doesn't need to be WoW to be successful, it just need to sell a decent amount of copies, whatever that might be. I'm very sceptical to the whole free to play thingy, but it apparently works. Hell, LoL has 4 million players, and that's a boring copy of Dota. Starcraft 2's own dota is also going to be F2P, with some sort of light sc2 client.

Anyway I hope ze devs are thinking about going "commercial". At least you'd get something for all the work you put in.

Good thread, tho I disapprove of all silly compliments. Which is all of them, even mine.

DISAPPROVE!
Monkeys!

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
  • Renown: 535
  • Infamy: 960
  • O===((:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmarunionen
  • Game nicks: GTX
  • IRC nick: GTX
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 10:52:10 pm »
It doesn't need to be WoW to be successful, it just need to sell a decent amount of copies, whatever that might be. I'm very sceptical to the whole free to play thingy, but it apparently works. Hell, LoL has 4 million players, and that's a boring copy of Dota. Starcraft 2's own dota is also going to be F2P, with some sort of light sc2 client.
*cough* http://eune.leagueoflegends.com/news/community-grows-32-million-players *cough* little more than 4 million.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 10:56:52 pm »
Yeah sorry for my lol-nubness, quoted the wrong numbers, it's suppose to be 11.5 million active players per month with a daily peak of 1.3 million.. OKEY? OKEY?!
Monkeys!

Offline KaleLord

• Count
  • Renown: 233
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player
  • Nurd
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kale
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 11:18:58 pm »
I remember you from this morninh :D(in NA_1) You were my favorite target as you are the only one without a pike :)
Kale: One of the cutest, chubbiest, asianiest faces in c-RPG. Take a look when you get the chance, guys. I will miss this beautiful man.

Offline Maximus101

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Merciless_Takeolan
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 11:28:54 pm »
+2
Would be pretty awesome but I kinda like the hidden gem that crpg is. I like the way there is a small community and you can just bump into people without organising to play with them. I used to play xbox alllllll the time- I had a trickshottin clan and was making montages for YouTube and shit. But the crpg community is one of the things I liked that kept me playing the game( AND ALL THE OTHER EPIC SHIT).
chadz most certainly deserves recognition but getting 100s of 1000s of players would ruin it for me.

Offline Xandaroth

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 04:05:39 am »
Dammit, Kale. You plated lolchargers are why I went polearms instead of 2handers for my STR build. Lol.

Though we did have pretty epic "Fight scene #1 from Conan: The Destroyer" battles there.

I actually don't know whether I'd like c-RPG to be a full-out MMO or simply what it is now. I've discovered all an MMO really is, is any othr RPG game... with the single player quests, multiplayer component and social lobbies melded into one in-game instance. I've been playing games where those things are separated like E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy, Might & Magic 6: Heroes, etc, and I really can't say there's any true downside to it.

As far as an F2P store goes... it might be neat, though I would just do what I do with other games that have F2P stores and subscribe for full features (DC universe is seeing that loyalty from me at the moment). Unless it's League of Walletholes, which I refuse to spend another dime on, at least until they fix community moderation.

My biggest thing with spending money on a game, though, is the dev support. Coding, game design, production, distribution, web hosting, it all costs some pretty hardcore time and money, and I follow the belief that I like to motivate the product providers I rely on. There is hope for humanity if c-RPG survives the test of time, something tons of actual full-time game studios are actually not managing to pull off these past couple of years.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 04:14:38 am by Xandaroth »

Offline Xandaroth

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 04:19:09 am »
And by the way, my character is mostly complete in design. I think I'm going to go with the overdone-but-I-don't-care Norse-ish tribesman from the giant snowy mountains in the more north than anyone ever goes. Still working on my plot, but yeah, signature weapon will be loomed Great Maul with a Throwing Lance, and I'll develop some sort of cheesy lore around his helm, which is that fancy winged plate helmet.

Anyone know where a guy goes around here to find other roleplayers to get his nerd on with?

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 08:41:23 pm »
Well I have a pretty major complaint for feedback.  They really fucked over some cavalry classes with the last c-rpg update.  I already had 6 riding so I can still ride my courser.  My bro who never planned on retiring again (he's retired many many times) is at level 31 and only has 4 riding.  He has a 3 times heirloomed courser he rode.  He stopped playing C-rpg altogether due to this.  I think he said he needed 2 million to get to level 32 (and could convert attributes to skills to get 6 riding) or respec to level 30 and be like 1 million away from retiring.  Pretty sure he respec'ed and went archer to just play in strategus battles. 

Seems kind of insane that you'd drastically change something like making the riding skill of a horse go from 4 to 6, and not give any concessions to players who are fucked over because of it.

This thread is pointless though, as there are major glaring problems with strategus that basically render the game useless for meaningful play (you lose all your equipment you spawn with, even if you win a battle and don't take any losses).  Most clans can't afford to lose 50 full suits of armor, weapons and possibly horses.  And these issues are being neglected, so this obviously will be too.  But it's fun to bitch and complain (or conversely to lick buttholes) so keep posting away.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 08:44:32 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 05:02:55 pm »
I actually don't know whether I'd like c-RPG to be a full-out MMO or simply what it is now

Argl, no. Never make cRPG into an MMO, that would suck.

Instead, keep it as a battle mode game and flesh that out. All we want is big, epic battles without much hassle. Being able to join a big server with a bunch of friends and being part of 60 vs 60 fights is awesome and that's where the fun is at, i think.

And strat, ah well... although i appreciate the complex politics it creates, i would be happier with a simple scheduling mechanism for clan fights. :)