Poll

Are you satisfied with how shields in general are now?

No!
35 (23.6%)
Minor balancing needs to be done
46 (31.1%)
Yes, they are fine as is
67 (45.3%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Author Topic: Round Shields...(Nerf thread)  (Read 18353 times)

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
Re: Round Shields...(Nerf thread)
« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2011, 10:16:56 am »
I thought this thread was about how shitty all the non-round shields are, and not bickering how 1h+shield is OP and needs a nerf (which isn't true really) to one of the few non-worthless shields.
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #136 on: February 11, 2011, 11:44:07 am »
Like i said:
Huscarl is the best shield it should cost the most and require most shieldskill.
U dont have to nerf the shields but you should restore the order of price and skill within them.

Offline Akincibegi

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Akincibegi and a lot of alts
« Reply #137 on: February 11, 2011, 12:19:00 pm »
this 3d is the most idiotic things i ever saw in my life

basicly  you wanna nerf  the only things that give  a + to be 1 hander, a shield

1hander  plus:
survivability thx to  shield defence vs cut user/arro/ throw   (even if a bardiche x3 loomed destroy a huscarl in 3-4 hit, and 2 throwing lance destroy even a steel shield )
ability to fight multiple opponents,   with less skill than a 2hander      (no need to manual block different attacks from different direction)

so we have +2 good things vs  8 negative

1hander negative:

speed/movement   even at same atheletics thx to shield we move slower.
reach        top reach 105, vs what  155 2h, and what 190+  pole?
dmg         top dmg probably is a broadaxe 3x loomed,  40 dmg,    vs what ,  50? 55? 60 ?
animation issue    (a fucking 85 2h speed is faster than a 100 1h speed+shield  )
invisibile reach (yes  xant we not have 140  reach like your german/danish sword  lolstab abuse )   
no furter bonus from our skill   = like pole who stun  with everything   
less wpf  cause by more weight
upkeep   (our upkeep 1h+shield is 60-70% more than   2hander/pole upkeep,          example?  eslavona+huscarl is 17k,     danish sword? 11-12k )

a mediocre 1h die to  first 2hander who  oneshoot him /feints.
on other side even a mediocre 2hander who spam, can kill  good player,    cause reach+speed+dmg+animation+movement +invisibile reach advantage

+1

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #138 on: February 11, 2011, 02:01:17 pm »
I wouldn't say nerf them, I think a rebalance of ALL SHIELDS would be the best solution, so other shields would be a good choice to get, not just the current popular ones.

*Nerf 1h speed a bit though, some weapons are ridiculously fast, even with a shield, and if I manage to break it, good lord. A sidesword becomes an 1h katana, with uber damage.*
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:02:18 pm by Christo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Dunecat

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • h+
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jaer_Selorn
« Reply #139 on: February 11, 2011, 03:01:18 pm »
I happen to agree with both posts above.
In memory of Jaer_Selorn, member of Str, ruler of Pagundur

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #140 on: February 11, 2011, 03:27:42 pm »
Everyone who wants to seriously fight with sword (or any other 1h) and shield must go for the Huscarl shield or they get their shield smashed. There it is. This problem has got worse lately as there are more axes about than there used to be before the patch. With, for instance, an elite cavalry shield I (BadbCatha) have to run away if I see someone with a two handed axe, because it'll be bash, bash, and I have no shield. With no shield, I have a shorter weapon which does less damage and am most certainly at a big disadvantage, not to mention the fact that smashing a shield will itself cause stun. My only option, even though I don't really like it, is to use a Huscarl. The non-round shields not only tend to break easily, but they also have worse coverage against missiles - multiply height and width to see this is demonstrably true. Even the Heavy Board Shield, which should be the ultimate anti-arrow wall, has a total area of 1680,  slightly less than the Huscarl's 1849.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #141 on: February 11, 2011, 05:12:34 pm »
*Nerf 1h speed a bit though, some weapons are ridiculously fast, even with a shield, and if I manage to break it, good lord. A sidesword becomes an 1h katana, with uber damage.*

Only when heirloomed 3x.

I just tried it last night and I actually did a lot better without a shield than with one on my 1h/shielder. I got a 2:1 k/d ratio without a shield and with a shield it was slightly less. I must confess I didn't play my 1h for some time, so my shieldfighting got a bit rusty. BUT, the speeddifference of my feints and my attack/blockspeed are so much faster without a shield I only bring the thing to close in on the frontline.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Vygar

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vygar_PxC, Divinicus_PxC, Tegashi_PxC
« Reply #142 on: February 11, 2011, 05:55:37 pm »
Everyone who wants to seriously fight with sword (or any other 1h) and shield must go for the Huscarl shield or they get their shield smashed. There it is. This problem has got worse lately as there are more axes about than there used to be before the patch. With, for instance, an elite cavalry shield I (BadbCatha) have to run away if I see someone with a two handed axe, because it'll be bash, bash, and I have no shield. With no shield, I have a shorter weapon which does less damage and am most certainly at a big disadvantage, not to mention the fact that smashing a shield will itself cause stun. My only option, even though I don't really like it, is to use a Huscarl. The non-round shields not only tend to break easily, but they also have worse coverage against missiles - multiply height and width to see this is demonstrably true. Even the Heavy Board Shield, which should be the ultimate anti-arrow wall, has a total area of 1680,  slightly less than the Huscarl's 1849.

My 10k Steel Shield lasts a grand total of 5 hits against any Pole/2h Axe even at my 8 Shield Skill.  The cost and maintenance (not to mention the significant speed malice) of this thing is not at all justified by it's very lackluster performance on the battlefield.  It doesn't matter how much AGI or WPF I may have, I simply cannot counter attack fast enough after blocking a strike from a 2h or Polearm.  The shield and weapon animations work against each other.  Why nerf an already deficient weapon set even more? 

I've already abandoned my 1h/shield character in favor of a pure polearm dude with much greater success especially after improving my manual block skills a bit. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:01:36 pm by Vygar »

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #143 on: February 11, 2011, 06:05:35 pm »
Weird, side sword spammers can sneak some hits in when I'm trying to attack their shields. Oh, maybe you're playing an unique style? If so, you're cool.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Vygar

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vygar_PxC, Divinicus_PxC, Tegashi_PxC
« Reply #144 on: February 11, 2011, 06:19:50 pm »
I'm not sure what you're implying, but my "style" isn't out there or strange. 

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #145 on: February 11, 2011, 06:33:27 pm »

Or put your shield away, kill the most likely noob spammer, and move on. Just because you play a sword and boarder doesn't mean you never have to manual block. Save your shield for the group fight and sword users. 1 guy with an axe should never destroy your shield because you should never be using a shield against him.

Anyway, shields need a buff. Huscarl is the only shield worth taking except for matters of style.

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #146 on: February 11, 2011, 06:42:57 pm »
Anyway, shields need a buff. Huscarl is the only shield worth taking except for matters of style.

So if there is 1 OP item, the logical thing to do is buff all others? :lol:

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #147 on: February 11, 2011, 06:52:04 pm »
So if there is 1 OP item, the logical thing to do is buff all others? :lol:

That's the thing, that 1 item isn't OP, it's merely the only GOOD item in that category.  It's kind of like if 2hers only had the regular longsword at the top of their item tree.  Just about everyone would use it.  It wouldn't be because the longsword is OP, it's merely the best choice of a mediocre selection.

As for nerfing 1hers, that makes no sense either.  The heirloomed side sword might be a bit much (it does seem everyone uses that or the espanada anymore).  Sure they might be a bit slower when used by themselves, but then again they're disadvantaged in range and damage so shouldn't speed be on their side?  It would also further nerf/destroy fighting with a shield as using a shield already slows you down.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:54:03 pm by Gorath »
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #148 on: February 11, 2011, 07:48:51 pm »
Heavier shields.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2011, 07:53:07 pm »
Heavier shields.

Wouldn't really change everyone from using the huscarl if shields in general were just heavier.  It'd still be the only decent one in the list.  Though it would help counter the crush through from the bar mace, so maybe not a bad idea.   :D
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?