Poll

Are you satisfied with how shields in general are now?

No!
35 (23.6%)
Minor balancing needs to be done
46 (31.1%)
Yes, they are fine as is
67 (45.3%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Author Topic: Round Shields...(Nerf thread)  (Read 18336 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2224
  • Infamy: 1146
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Round Shields...(Nerf thread)
« Reply #180 on: February 12, 2011, 03:30:28 pm »
Exactly. Nerf throwing which is ridiculously OP atm and you'll see less shielders on the battlefield. Personally I would adjust prices of all ranged weapons so that the most expensive (best) ranged weapon costs around 20k (bows and xbows with ammo and throwing lances without). I would make it like this:

Basic ranged weapon (hunting xbow, hunting bow and stones): 2k
Also I would nerf those weapons (25 pierce for HXBOW, 12 cut for HBOW and 9 blunt for stones)

Higher ranked weapons I wouldn't touch stat wise but since they are much better than starter ranged gear prices will start at 8k for short bow, light xbow and darts

Higher class of ranged weapons would cost 12k (Nomad bow, xbow, francisca, war darts)

Next class would cost 15k (Khergit bow, Heavy Xbow, Javelins, Heavy Throwing Axes)

Best ranged weapons would cost 20k (Warbow/Longbow, Sniper Xbow, Jarids, Throwing Lances)

That's much better way to balance ranged than silly idea to remove crosshair. If you want to be bad ass thrower who one hits everything with his Throwing Lance you would have to pay 80k for set of 4 stacks which means you wouldn't be able to use such gear every round. Same is with armored horses, dunno why ridiculous throwing weapons get a discount.

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #181 on: February 12, 2011, 03:34:55 pm »
I agree with Leshma, this would definetly solve the worst problem with throwing - the SPAM.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #182 on: February 12, 2011, 03:41:22 pm »
Exactly. Nerf throwing which is ridiculously OP atm and you'll see less shielders on the battlefield. Personally I would adjust prices of all ranged weapons so that the most expensive (best) ranged weapon costs around 20k (bows and xbows with ammo and throwing lances without). I would make it like this:

Also I would nerf those weapons (25 pierce for HXBOW, 12 cut for HBOW and 9 blunt for stones)

Higher ranked weapons I wouldn't touch stat wise but since they are much better than starter ranged gear prices will start at 8k for short bow, light xbow and darts

Higher class of ranged weapons would cost 12k (Nomad bow, xbow, francisca, war darts)

Next class would cost 15k (Khergit bow, Heavy Xbow, Javelins, Heavy Throwing Axes)

Best ranged weapons would cost 20k (Warbow/Longbow, Sniper Xbow, Jarids, Throwing Lances)

That's much better way to balance ranged than silly idea to remove crosshair. If you want to be bad ass thrower who one hits everything with his Throwing Lance you would have to pay 80k for set of 4 stacks which means you wouldn't be able to use such gear every round. Same is with armored horses, dunno why ridiculous throwing weapons get a discount.

Someone's butthurt.

I have an even better idea. Instead of nerfing something so hard nobody would even use it, just remove all throwing weapons from the game.
While you're at it, remove all weapons but sticks and stones.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2011, 06:24:40 pm »
Less spammy throwing would reduce the amount of shields going around. I think that throwing is fine as is though except for the rapid-fire throwing. Just add an additional second or two between each throw. Problem solved.

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #184 on: February 12, 2011, 08:17:58 pm »
Looking at the little "how they died" icons during the game, I can't say I notice a great many more deaths from thrown spears or axes than there were before the patch. Throwing is scary for a while but most people only have eight or at most 12 ammo, so it's soon over. Better throwing spammers than the pre-patch situation of all the infantry having to hide for the first minute until the archery spam finished... by the way, I write as someone who gave up throwing when the patch arrived.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 12, 2011, 08:30:10 pm »

Pretty good all in all untill i saw 1 tiny little thing.

....YOU WANT STONES TO COST 2K???! YOUMAD????

Lol Stones should be nerfed a little bit and remain as beginners equipment.

Offline TehSoviet

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Blondekhan_BRD
« Reply #186 on: February 12, 2011, 08:45:49 pm »
Shields not need to be nerfed. If you are smart you will realize you don't need to break a shield to kill the wearer. I am a 2H, and I have no trouble with shielders what-so-ever when using my german greatsword, they are easy to flank and trick. People like balbaroth and Cyranule give me problems, but they are a whole different tier of players. Great mauling them proves to work sometimes.

Use the 2hs longer reach, attack, and speed! Huscarl wearers are usually slow because the shield is awfully heavy. If you buff small shields, they will be light, strong, AND fast, and that will be OP. The only complaint I have for CRPG is pole-stun.

Yes, I know my posts are weirdly worded.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2783
  • Infamy: 161
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 12, 2011, 10:55:45 pm »
Looking at the little "how they died" icons during the game, I can't say I notice a great many more deaths from thrown spears or axes than there were before the patch. Throwing is scary for a while but most people only have eight or at most 12 ammo, so it's soon over. Better throwing spammers than the pre-patch situation of all the infantry having to hide for the first minute until the archery spam finished...

EU1 server usually have 80-120 people online and that means nearly unlimited ammo for most throwers (you start with 12 javelins/jarids but there are at least 10 guys like you who left at least 20 javelins/jarids lying around, then there are guys with axes, with darts, with throwing lances, with daggers...). As a thrower you can easily kill best melee fighters easily, you eat archers for breakfast, horse archers are easy prey (even if there are 3 or 4 circling around you), xbowmen must kill you at long distance or they are dead in 99% of cases, lancers can only backstab you if they charge forward they are dead (BlueGreen was my favourite victim :mrgreen:). Only thing you can't shoot and kill easily are shielders. It takes a lot of ammo to break their shields so it's better not to face them alone, come back to your ally and let him duel the shielder. Wait for enemy shielder to turn his back and bam, he's dead meat. Right now, I don't think that throwing has any weakness apart for being a bit slow (mostly in movement, in combat you'll beat someone who's worse than you even if he has 3-4 times more agi).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 10:58:08 pm by Leshma »

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1585
  • Infamy: 485
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 12, 2011, 11:14:11 pm »
Pretty good all in all untill i saw 1 tiny little thing.

....YOU WANT STONES TO COST 2K???! YOUMAD????

Lol Stones should be nerfed a little bit and remain as beginners equipment.

In this game beginners are called peasants, beginner equipment is actually peasant equipment. What is peasant equipment? Most of those tools (weapons) peasants are using every day (forks, scythes, hammers, hand axes, wood chopping axes and knives). Peasants shouldn't throw stones because that's not something they are very skilled at (they may had such competition at fairs but that's not something every peasant is good at), peasants shouldn't use sword even if it's made of wood and meant for practice. If they are using wooden swords they are clearly in training process which means they are soldiers not poor peasants trying to defend their village from bandits. Same goes for every type of ranged weapons (bows, xbows, throwing weapons). There isn't such thing as archer peasant, english peasants probably were trained in archery but that just means that none of them were true peasants. England clearly had many trained soldiers in those days, no wonder they were among the strongest military forces in Europe back then.

Btw. every type of ranged is easy mode because you're not engaged in combat. Shielders are in first lines, they need to be strong to survive. If anything this game needs is more melee fighters, even they are all shielders. Numbers of ranged units should drop significantly.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 11:18:48 pm by Leshma »

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #189 on: February 12, 2011, 11:18:12 pm »
There isn't such thing as archer peasant

What about hunters?

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 182
  • Infamy: 2419
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 12, 2011, 11:22:03 pm »
What about hunters?

Quote from: Wiki
A peasant is an agricultural worker who generally owns or rents only a small plot of ground.

Offline Noble Crassius

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Long live the Han
    • View Profile
    • http://rotk.ws/
  • Faction: Han Empire
  • Game nicks: Han_Ling, SiegeSome, Fallen_Knight
« Reply #191 on: February 12, 2011, 11:34:47 pm »
Ah so little peasant children playing swords with sticks were just midget soldiers in disguise! (lol you gatta be trolling)

"A peasant is an agricultural worker who generally owns or rents only a small plot of ground"...doesn't mean they didn't hunt numbnuts

And I don't think our crpg peasants own or rent any land, or farm (unless agiculture skill was put in place while I slept)

So by your very definition low level characters are not peasants but soldiers in training.

I didn't know it took skill to throw rocks

Swords are tools as well, tools of war, saying a peasent could not wield one is dumb. If you said effectively however then maybe that would be true

William Wallace led a peasants army of scots, and he managed to sack york!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 12:03:36 am by Noble Crassius »
On it.

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 13, 2011, 12:29:40 pm »
First and foremost Huscarl shield need to be nerfed.

Now it's widest, best protecting in idle, one of the most resilient and offering decent enough speed.

I feel it should get a nerf a bit in resilience (reduce it's armor value) and a bit in speed (and other shield need a buff).
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #193 on: February 13, 2011, 06:41:28 pm »
wah wah waaah

This game is way more fun once you allow realism to be secondary to balance.  It also relieves you of a all those nasty double-think headaches you get when you try to argue that, for the sake of realism, throwing stones should cost two thousand gold.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1222
  • Infamy: 419
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 13, 2011, 09:45:30 pm »
I'm a pathetic thrower because I suck at everything else.

Couldn't agree more :D