Author Topic: Is Crpg "popular?"  (Read 5896 times)

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
Re: Is Crpg "popular?"
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 02:12:07 am »
I don't know, EVE Online had a pretty steep learning curve, but it doesn't thrust you into all the possibilities straight away. I think that has a pretty massive fanbase.
Professional poop cleaner

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 02:21:50 am »
Games with steep learning curves often develop the following: A very dedicated player base, a relatively small player base, and frequent complaining. Do any of you think this follows the Crpg title?

What are you talking about? It isn't like that at all.

(click to show/hide)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 02:24:21 am »
I don't know, EVE Online had a pretty steep learning curve, but it doesn't thrust you into all the possibilities straight away. I think that has a pretty massive fanbase.

But then, 90% of the playerbase there are carebears who play the game as a singleplayer ricefarm. The fun stuff is used by a "small" elitist community.

I used to play quite a lot of EVE :p

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 02:25:26 am by Dezilagel »

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline SpeedyBanana

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 02:31:42 am »
It's a great mod but the steep learning curve, douchey elitist community, and low population of M&B doesn't help much.

The bad team balance system sort of works in your favor as it gives one side a chance to get 5x easily. A better team balance system would just cause a lot of flip flopping in who wins and leave both teams at x1 constantly. Perhaps a better system would be to drop to 4x from 5x if you lose once instead of going all the way back to 1x.... just a thought.

This game would be a hit if it incorporated a lot of things from other competitive games, such as a ladder system, ability to form your own warband with friends and compete with other warbands, etc. Unfortunately, all of that takes a lot of work and it's doubtful it will ever happen seeing as how the population has dropped from what it was 6 months ago (based on personal observation).

Offline Erathsmus

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player
  • My w finger hurts.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Imperium
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 02:38:59 am »
It seems like this mod often makes things harder for veteran players to prevent them from being OP. But at the same time it is making life just as hard for newer players.

There is one instance though, where it was different. The lvl 26 rent cap. This actually helped newer players for once.

It seems too, that when I post things to help newer players get into the game, I get thrashed by other players who think that I am a newbie trying to make things better for myself. I have been playing this mod for ages, enough of this "you're a new player so stop crying" bs.
Slow and steady wins the race...Unless there is a fast person in it.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 03:08:37 am »
Theres always a douchy elitist community in any game that requires skill, i actually find the CRPG elites less douchy than other more popular games (looking at you HoN). The problem is that CRPG has evolved into a team performance based reward system, and since newbs tend to be a detriment to a team, this punishes the newb far more than the skilled pro.

But the real problem  is that this game is inherently too original, and too hard, for people to adapt from more traditional shooters/strategy game. Theres no real skillset that you can learn from other games that will help you in MnB, except maybe FPS for shooters.

Offline Erathsmus

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • cRPG Player
  • My w finger hurts.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Imperium
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 03:13:03 am »
+1
An obvious problem too is advertisement. There is no way to get new players to play if mount and blade is not advertised. After they get mount and blade there is a slight chance they will stumble across Crpg. So it's kinda hard to find.

Maybe we should start putting up pictures with near naked ladies saying, "No more bullies, You can haz my breasts, Play now."
Slow and steady wins the race...Unless there is a fast person in it.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 08:56:08 am »
An obvious problem too is advertisement. There is no way to get new players to play if mount and blade is not advertised. After they get mount and blade there is a slight chance they will stumble across Crpg. So it's kinda hard to find.

Maybe we should start putting up pictures with near naked ladies saying, "No more bullies, You can haz my breasts, Play now."

I support this 100%. Mostly the naked ladies part. Ok.. just the naked ladies part..

But as people said its a very steep learning curve and its hard for very little reward in the beginning. I had no issue accepting this as I got hooked to M&B then bought warband asap. Crpg came later. That was definitely what brought me into the world of manual blocking and I am glad for it. However, its hard to get very good at it and takes time. More time than some people are willing to put into it. That's just the way it is and I'm perfectly ok with that.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 09:03:11 am »
+1
I actually found cRPG by myself. There was only one EU server back then that restarted every 30 minutes, just so you know.

And I found cRPG by browsing the server list and checking the column which tells you whether it's native or a mod, and I stumbled upon a thing called "cRPG" and I was like "uuuu this has 'RPG' in the name, wut diz"

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2011, 09:07:13 am »
There are a lot of extremely important aspects to the game that aren't covered, and which someone from single player wouldn't be prepared for.  And the last time I looked the wiki was a mess.

Probably the best thing the community could do would be to try and rally some effort for the wiki.

Even a series of 6 second videos could be invaluable to the newbie, explaining things like:
Left-swing reach vs right-swing reach
Left-swing speed vs right-swing speed
Basic footwork (how to move so that your hits land quicker)
How to properly thrust (the poke-and-wiggle or poke-and-turn)

Not a long, drawn out video of some guy rattling on for 10 minutes but just like 6 seconds per item.  The wiki gives a brief explanation then links the video showing, for example, someone doing a backhand swing while stepping to the right of the target.  Bam.  You've just taught someone a basic footwork concept, more effectively than you could get in writing or pictures alone.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2011, 09:08:21 am »
Same here Vibe. I actually didn't get it for a while because of all the trash talking on native but my curiosity got the better of me and I never looked back.

Offline Kajia

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Kajia
  • IRC nick: Kajia_
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2011, 09:12:02 am »
lol, nice pics in my head ...
I'll make some ad banners then, once the loadingscreen is finished :D

about learning how to play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9jHcZjWw9U&feature=channel_video_title

Kajia's Workshop
(cRPG artwork showcase)

Offline Corwin

• Earl
  • Renown: 499
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corwin_the_Lazy
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2011, 09:30:20 am »
If the game population is to grow,you'd need some kind of allocated noob server, with gear and level restrictions.
Siege servers traditionally serve to this purpose.
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 12:31:37 pm »
Same here Vibe. I actually didn't get it for a while because of all the trash talking on native but my curiosity got the better of me and I never looked back.
and here.

The trash talk in native is really absurd, just recently someone in a native server told me crpg is bad because of too powerful archers and cav. :shock:

Offline Torost

• Count
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2011, 12:44:08 pm »
Alot of crpgs "popularity" stems from Taleworld absurd odd choice of not hosting that many good servers to play native on, that are somewhat lawless/not admined properly. The grind/xp/loom side of crpg is something a large part just play along with, only kids really like these mechanisms IMO. It preys on the same rewardmechanisms as WoW,mafiawars and the like. Crpg  has good servers, admined, and  an active and fun community, clans, and a somewhat consistent playersbase, making it personal since you play with and against the same players often. If taleworld would have had some sense, they would have put up many high capasity server in NA EU ASIA with various settings, and handed out ingame adminpower to some of the most dedicated players. Maybe they will make some adjustment to the game and platform in the upcoming new version.. who knows..

Not meant as critisism of crpg and all the good people involved making it. More a frustration over Taleworlds lack of common sense.