Author Topic: Ping limit for crpg servers?  (Read 5372 times)

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
Re: Ping limit for crpg servers?
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2011, 05:54:51 pm »
+1
lmao lag armor - a relic from peer to peer - still used as an excuse, never goes outta style.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2011, 06:17:27 pm »
Laggers and cheaters... Am I just blind or stupid because I don't seem to spot them on the servers? Guys topping the scoreboard are not laggers and not cheaters. Let's have a few examples. Do you think Leed, TomMyYYy, DaveUKR, Torben, Assarhaddon, Cicero, Georges or Chase for example are laggers or cheaters because they are always topping the scoreboard? Hellno! They are just good players as simple as that. There is really no reason to be mad about some average or below average player who gets few kills by lagging, or by cheating which makes them even more sad individuals... Cheaters will be caught and I don't see any reason to put bad ping players away. Lag armor lol, I haven't met a player who has an armor that my axe can't destroy and slice like it was a bag of sausages if I am skilled enough.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Kajia

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Kajia
  • IRC nick: Kajia_
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2011, 06:56:57 pm »
lag armor is a thing to laugh at - i mean isn't it funny? i think yes 8-)

Kajia's Workshop
(cRPG artwork showcase)

Offline Ohayashi

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Red Lotus
  • Game nicks: RL_Umamawari_Fuchs
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2011, 08:49:46 pm »
I don't give a shit if u give me - votes, it just proves me ur one of those bastards im talking about. If ur so poor u can't afford 10mb connection, well hang ur self.

I live in semi-rural Oregon and with the absolute best connection my ISP can offer me at my current residence I average 180-200 on EU servers. Does this stop me from occasionally sucking it up, hopping on, having my laggy ass kicked but still enjoying the game with my European friends? No.

I know it's hard to believe, but my continent isn't woven out of fiber optic cabling.
If it kills me, it's OP.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2011, 08:57:52 pm »
provincial xenophobes
Alas nodachi
a tin can's hatchet.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2011, 09:41:38 pm »
I would like to thank everyone for the eloquent and constructive arguments that have been brought forth. It is always a pleasure to discuss about game mechanics with fellow intelligent players, that are not only curious about game design, but also have the technical understanding to participate in the discussion at all. Especially Zisa seems to be very knowledgeable, thank you for widening my horizon.

One little thing still bothers me, though. In peer to peer connections, delay issues are actually less problematic than in client-server connections. This makes me wonder about your remark concerning lag armor being a "relic from peer to peer". I'm sure you didn't just mistakenly post false information, considering how well-informed you must be about the technicalities of multiplayer game programming, so could you please educate me on what exactly you meant with that statement?
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2011, 10:18:11 pm »
I would like to thank everyone for the eloquent and constructive arguments that have been brought forth. It is always a pleasure to discuss about game mechanics with fellow intelligent players, that are not only curious about game design, but also have the technical understanding to participate in the discussion at all. Especially Zisa seems to be very knowledgeable, thank you for widening my horizon.

One little thing still bothers me, though. In peer to peer connections, delay issues are actually less problematic than in client-server connections. This makes me wonder about your remark concerning lag armor being a "relic from peer to peer". I'm sure you didn't just mistakenly post false information, considering how well-informed you must be about the technicalities of multiplayer game programming, so could you please educate me on what exactly you meant with that statement?
Your eloquent nonsense is indeed misinformation. It was a common whine in days gone by with peer to peer, which has no doubt been improved, but was always the battle cry of weak minded fools who refused to learn the force (Jedi Knight 2 - Dark Forces). Or, learn how to lag shoot when most people where on 56k modems - i.e. adjust to the game presented instead of the imaginary game thought to be played.

Since it is all too common to seek out an excuse for defeat rather then learn from mistakes, I am not surprised to see the dreaded 'lagger' tag. Older whiners pass on their 'knowledge', their bitterness and their sense of being wrong when they are defeated in a game, it is natural but unfortunate that impressionable minds (i.e. fools) succumb to these winds.

Since your are also obviously a fucking zombie, and thus brain dead, I commend your efforts at argument but scowl at your efforts at a straw argument - perhaps you are genetically related to scarecrows, or the spell of your creation was very similar.
Alas nodachi
a tin can's hatchet.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2011, 10:23:54 pm »
Jedi Knight 2 - Dark Forces uses client-server connections. Anything else to add?

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2011, 10:32:58 pm »
Jedi Knight 2 - Dark Forces uses client-server connections. Anything else to add?
Yes numbnuts, you had to learn how to compensate for the lag, I played it. It's an old game. You are not going to score points here.
Alas nodachi
a tin can's hatchet.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2011, 11:08:26 pm »
I know the game quite well, made maps for it and modded it, was quite active on The Massassi Temple for a while. I don't see why you brought it up, but while we're at it, I'd like to remark that its weapons had very low projectile speed (5-10 m/s, IIRC). This was the main reason you had to lead with your aim, not bad connections. I am also not sure how you can "lag shoot" someone that does a turn, but the game on your machine shows him running straight, because the packets with the information about his turn have not yet arrived at the server, and your client is interpolating his last position with his last known velocity. Maybe you can mind-read other players you are connected to? Are you some kind of digital telepath?

By the way, people with high ping were regularly kicked by the host in JK: DF2. I sure do wonder why...

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2011, 11:40:58 pm »
I know the game quite well, made maps for it and modded it, was quite active on The Massassi Temple for a while. I don't see why you brought it up, but while we're at it, I'd like to remark that its weapons had very low projectile speed (5-10 m/s, IIRC). This was the main reason you had to lead with your aim, not bad connections. I am also not sure how you can "lag shoot" someone that does a turn, but the game on your machine shows him running straight, because the packets with the information about his turn have not yet arrived at the server, and your client is interpolating his last position with his last known velocity. Maybe you can mind-read other players you are connected to? Are you some kind of digital telepath?

By the way, people with high ping were regularly kicked by the host in JK: DF2. I sure do wonder why...
Yes, there was many a whine ' Lag armour' wtf.. until the wise started sharing this tip:
Do not attack where you think he is...
Attack where he is going to be.

So you either learned prediction, and thus somewhat of how your opponent thought, or you died, whined and complained that there was something wrong.

This was the single most important tip when dealing with 'lag', and some would hear it but not understand, complaining of some unfair advantage that did not exist and patently shown to be false when someone else would kill the so called lagger.

Packet loss is caused by mischievous daemons for reasons unknown, probably to fuck with you.

Yes.
Alas nodachi
a tin can's hatchet.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile