Author Topic: Steel Pick (continued discussion)  (Read 15732 times)

Offline Kherr

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Kherr
Re: Steel Pick (continued discussion)
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 02:24:33 pm »
First, we should have to calculate median of k/d ratio among lvl 30. players who use pick over other 1h weapons. Then we would have to worry about sample size.
You are right.

But at the moment I simple look around and I dont see a lot of steel picks. I dont fight very often against another steel pick user.
An example would be the sword of cookies. A few weeks ago a lot of people used it cause of its effectiveness. Clear sign of overpowerment. The last patches changed that.

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 02:31:48 pm »
You are right.

But at the moment I simple look around and I dont see a lot of steel picks. I dont fight very often against another steel pick user.
An example would be the sword of cookies. A few weeks ago a lot of people used it cause of its effectiveness. Clear sign of overpowerment. The last patches changed that.

Still people use it a lot, as it's still extremely useful. I see some DRZ and RuConquista guys with picks, they do just fine, topping scoreboard from time to time.
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Engine

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 04:20:47 pm »
About me:
My primary weapon has pretty much always been a pick. I used to use a Military pick, then the Steel Pick made it obsolete so I switched to it. Currently it's heirloomed once. I consider myself very familiar with picks.

It's a great 1h, BUT you really need to learn how to address the length disadvantage. Unquestionably and frequently I miss out on kills because I'm just out of range. It really is a severe detriment, and I think it's HILARIOUS to hear complaints from 2h/pole users.

1. Why are 3x heirlooms being being discussed? I frequently see Masterwork German Swords, Deadly awlpikes, Masterwork becs etc... the same longtime favorites people have always used. Post-patch I have not ONCE seen another heirloomed pick on the field but mine. Not ONCE. If it were OP you'd see more.

2. There is far less heavy armor running around. The pick, as an anti-tincan weapon, is subsequently less effective on today's battlefield.

3. It's a 1h, that's insanely short, and in tradeoff only does only a point or two more than an espada or side sword. It doesn't have knockdown or anti-shield bonus. What's the problem?

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 04:29:43 pm »
I used to use the steel pick a lot on my dedicated 1 hander. If you're a good player, you can kill average players left and right with it. The problem is when you run into a skilled player. That's why I switched to an italian sword. The steel pick just doesn't have the versatility of a long sword.

Sure the pick does good damage against armor and has decent speed, but it has a short reach and you can only attack from 3 directions. That in and of itself is a big balancing factor. You have to be practically on top of someone to hit them which makes it even harder to circle around them.

Steel pick isn't OP at all. Now if you mentioned the side sword, I MIGHT agree with you.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Noble Crassius

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Long live the Han
    • View Profile
    • http://rotk.ws/
  • Faction: Han Empire
  • Game nicks: Han_Ling, SiegeSome, Fallen_Knight
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 05:35:08 pm »
Yep.  Used the warhammer too.  I'm not saying either weapon OP generally - just that the pick is either under-priced or over-powered for its price.

Included some views of your from last topic which it seems you reevaluated from this statement - if all your asking is for a price adjustment then sure I'll roll with that.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 05:55:52 pm by Fallen_CrassiusV2 »
On it.

Offline Engine

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 06:22:57 pm »
Errrr... The Steel Pick costs 366g to repair, iirc. The Long Espada costs about 400g.

Are you saying the Steel Pick is better?

Really?

Offline Noble Crassius

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Long live the Han
    • View Profile
    • http://rotk.ws/
  • Faction: Han Empire
  • Game nicks: Han_Ling, SiegeSome, Fallen_Knight
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 07:04:44 am »
Yes I don't really liek the long espeda myself *shrug* matter of preference. Do I think price needs to be adjusted for the pick to be "balanced"? No. price can't balance out anything. I just agree with it because if it makes these whiners happy why not? a +1000gmax (anything above is over-kill) on price won't effect me using it no way no how.

Do I think steel pick is imbalanced? No not particularity but it is edging.
On it.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 04:07:21 pm »
There's a very easy counter to pick users:

ANY crushthrough weapon wielded by someone with the PS to crushthrough regularly AND a sense of timing.

That's the main reason I switched from using my steel pick to a side sword. When someone has an overhead chambered with a great maul, you have to rely on footwork to stay alive with a pick. You can't outrange the maul and when the guy has proper timing, he will always hit you before you can strike him.
Once he missed his first attack, he's in trouble though.
With a side sword, you have this nifty thrust attack. It's really helpfull to kill people with overheads chambered. It's also faster than a steel pick, about 50% longer and deals just 1 damage less (even though it's cut damage, doesn't matter that much with the generally lower armourvalues).

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2011, 08:39:52 pm »

1. Why are 3x heirlooms being being discussed? I frequently see Masterwork German Swords, Deadly awlpikes, Masterwork becs etc... the same longtime favorites people have always used. Post-patch I have not ONCE seen another heirloomed pick on the field but mine. Not ONCE. If it were OP you'd see more.

Dawg, I just wanted my horsekiller back. I never wanted it to be more awesome that it already was.

Offline Rhaelys

• Duke
  • Renown: 509
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: Rhaelys_BlockLeft_of_Chaos
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 10:13:46 pm »
+1
There's a very easy counter to pick users:

ANY crushthrough weapon wielded by someone with the PS to crushthrough regularly AND a sense of timing.

That's the main reason I switched from using my steel pick to a side sword. When someone has an overhead chambered with a great maul, you have to rely on footwork to stay alive with a pick. You can't outrange the maul and when the guy has proper timing, he will always hit you before you can strike him.
Once he missed his first attack, he's in trouble though.
With a side sword, you have this nifty thrust attack. It's really helpfull to kill people with overheads chambered. It's also faster than a steel pick, about 50% longer and deals just 1 damage less (even though it's cut damage, doesn't matter that much with the generally lower armourvalues).

Actually, damage type matters quite a bit. Against medium armor (40) with 5 Power Strike and 150 WPF:

1) With a 32 cut weapon, you would, on average, do 20 damage
2) With a 33 pierce weapon, you would, on average, do 28.5 damage.

*Taken from Vargas' Melee Weapon Damage Calculator.

Quote from: Uumdi
sweet of you guys to celebrate my birthday
wait you're talking about that devils lettuce arent you, god damnit
Quote from: Kreczor
yo you want to burn some sweet romaine tonight?
Quote from: Uumdi
yeah i smoke that dirty green shit fuck iceberg

Offline Rextard

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Rextard, Rextardero, CornstablePonyGaper, CornporalCannonFodder
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2011, 11:08:26 pm »
Srsly, steel pick doesn't need to be nerfed. The 2h morningstar is the best example of why, that I can think of: (especially when you consider most pick users are shield users)

Steel Pick   6889   
weight 2.25
requirement 12
spd rtng 100
weapon length 64
swing damage 33, pierce
thrust damage 0 pierce

Morningstar   3978   
weight 3.8
requirement 13
spd rtng 92
weapon length 82
swing damage 38, pierce
thrust damage 0 pierce
Unbalanced
Bonus against Shield

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2011, 11:24:17 pm »
Unbalanced.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2011, 11:47:11 pm »
When a 1h weapon which can be used with a shield has nearly same damage of a 2h and polearm pick then there is something wrong.

Plus yea like above unbalanced.

Offline Kherr

• Noble
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Kherr
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2011, 01:13:20 am »
Again... is there only a feeling "overpowered" or can someone proof it with numbers? Is there really a problem?

It's ok if you dont like it cause you were killed by it... but that is not enough to demand a nerf.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 01:15:36 am by Kherr »

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2011, 01:34:13 am »
Again... is there only a feeling "overpowered" or can someone proof it with numbers? Is there really a problem?

It's ok if you dont like it cause you were killed by it... but that is not enough to demand a nerf.

Weapon stats have been posted multiple times.  Look at it compared to a morningstar.