Author Topic: Why is there so much whining in cRPG?  (Read 10562 times)

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Why is there so much whining in cRPG?
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2011, 05:38:40 pm »

A third group that actually is pissed about everything and everybody

:(

Offline The_Angle

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
  • Qaddaffi 4 eva
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2011, 06:15:36 pm »
This whole thread is the epitome of all of the cRPG whine. I swear.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

In the land of rape and honey, you prey.

Offline Espu

• The good
  • Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Espu
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2011, 06:17:52 pm »
+1
- I started playing when this mod first came out and stopped because of the poor quality with your site, so I've seen the progress you've made in a year, and while yes there's something to be said for it, I feel it's not nearly where it could be, and it feels like the devs have lost their original enthusiasm for the mod. The whole you-don't-know-what-you're-talking-about-because-you're-new argument is such a lazy personal attack, are you seriously going to go that route?

Sure, other devs might have got a lot further, some not even this far. Speculating on what could have been is not very beneficial, better would be to provide useful feedback about what could be done better in the future (hint: saying something sucks is not useful feedback).

If you make a ridiculous claim about things going generally downhill when they obviously have not, what do you expect to receive in reply? A detailed report of stuff that has improved in the last year?

- Last patch broke a lot of stuff. No patch notes that I, or anyone else I talked to the following couple days, had heard of. Where's the official patch notes page? Please provide the url, as I'm guessing a large proportion of the crpg community has no idea what changes until they actually go and play the game.

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/board,31.0.html

Patchnotes and 30 pages of discussion about 0.240. Patchnotes for 0.241 (2 hours after the patch) with 17 pages of discussion.

(click to show/hide)

Well done ignoring the point of my reply (unrealistic expectations, limited resources, indie mod vs. commercial, community as testers) and focusing on the helmet/roman item issue which I was trying to leave to a sidetrack with a simple mention cause I really don't see it's relevance in the big picture. Some items have been added, some have not. You seem to mistake "the people" to the loud minority that posts all kinds of requests to various boards and then gets mad when they are not all implemented.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 06:18:53 pm by Espu »

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2011, 06:28:27 pm »
On another topic, I see Ylca failed to answer my little test with facts from the game.

Wow, i answer your question and you move the goalposts. Way to middle school debate it up there buddy.

"Oh you answered it, but your answer didn't support my point so your answer was wrong." Doesn't work that way, buddy.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 06:29:51 pm by Ylca »

Offline Snoozer

• Baron
  • Infamy: 58
  • Faction:Knights Hospitaller
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2011, 06:41:49 pm »
im off subject but where are these statistics you speak of? i would love to see them i nevernew such a thing existed

back to subject its perception, i did not make that one clear as well. because of different perceptive's we have different views (ex like a shielder has different priorities then a pole arm therefore different successes and challenges)
Good Bye Lost Legion R.I.P Q_Q

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2011, 06:43:18 pm »
Fasader has posted server statistics a couple of times, check through his posts and you shouldfind them, or ask for a new set from him.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2011, 06:51:24 pm »
How exactly are you determining this success? in my eyes success is when your team wins, not how high your k/d is. As a pikeman, bringing down or halting cavalry is a major part of your job, regardless of what your k/d is, you can still be a very successful pikeman and have a very average k/d.

K/D does not judge how successful everyone is IMO, just because someone on the scoreboard has say a 14-2 score, chances are he would have not got alot of those kills if it wasn't for a team mate or many other factors that are produced by the actions of his team. There are plenty of people who have wounded, trapped, halted other players for them to be killed in the first place.

Same with a thrower, you get cavalry coming to the side of your force, he will avoid the pikes, but once he starts getting heavy throwing axes in his horse it'll either die or he'll retreat, that in my opinion, is success.

I appreciate very much that you are not one of those who say "only players with a good k/d are good players" (and there are many who think this way), but nonetheless killing someone is a central part of the fun in cRPG, and ultimatively it wins you the round. Noone likes to be the "helper", at least not all the time. Of course Frankenstein could never have created artificial life without his Igor, but still Frankenstein is the Genius and Igor is the hunchbacked servant.

This makes me wonder about the "balancing"-team deciding to take way the blocking ability from pikes. Do they want to demote an entire class even more to "dependand extras" in the battle? Having to stick to others all the time, hoping they can defend you, and once a cavalryman approaches it's your job to stop the horse or bring it down and then watch your protector finishing off the fallen enemy? And on the other hand buffing the archers, who can basically attack anyone whenever they want, unless he hides somewhere or keeps up his shield, which makes him harmless for all of his enemies while doing so. And often enough they can be immune to 50-66% of all players by camping on a roof without ladder, unless the round is close to an end. All of this for the tradeoff of having to watch out (sometimes) for enemies approaching and probably killing you in melee. Really, developers?
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2011, 06:54:47 pm »
Having to stick to others all the time, hoping they can defend you,

You just described a day in the life of a dedicated archer. A lone archer is a dead archer. Same goes with dedicate crossbowmen, though to a much lesser extent since they often actually have points left over to put into PS so they can actually hurt people in melee instead of simply blocking and frantically searching for an escape route.

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2011, 07:00:26 pm »
:(

I count me and you in mostly.... Xant 100% xD

Offline Dede

• Count
  • Renown: 161
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 28, 2011, 07:09:17 pm »
@Herald_Hardrata
- Dede completely missed the point of my thread, as it seems everyone else is to.

- This mod has no historical coherence to it. Rejecting Roman armor on the grounds that it doesn't fit the historical feel of the game is bullshit.

Well the title of your topic was:
You guys do know that what we have as the "Chichak" hemets are from 17c. right?

And I wrote "no" and have also explained why its wrong.

Well hope this sources are enough for you (15.c.):
(click to show/hide)

This is from the panoramic Museum 1453 from Istanbul:
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/7752/panorama145301.jpg
(click to show/hide)
Source: http://www.panoramikmuze.com/en/index.php

This is the Hussar helmet, you are confusing it with.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thoog/1430262415/

And as for the Byzantine models, I dont think the devs are against them.
It just takes to long to get the items added.That would be the only thing I could criticize.

If I had enough time, I would also love to model some Byzantine items.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2011, 07:40:26 pm »
You just described a day in the life of a dedicated archer. A lone archer is a dead archer.

You still don't give it up, do you?

A dedicated archer can still shoot anybody who is approaching him over distance, while a pikeman can't do anything but either wait or charge himself. (next to the option for both to run away, where the archer will have the better chances again). Let alone if the attack does not contain mele but... range?
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Herald_Hardrata

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2011, 07:41:30 pm »
@Herald_Hardrata
Well the title of your topic was:
And I wrote "no" and have also explained why its wrong.

Well hope this sources are enough for you (15.c.):
(click to show/hide)

This is from the panoramic Museum 1453 from Istanbul:
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/7752/panorama145301.jpg
(click to show/hide)
Source: http://www.panoramikmuze.com/en/index.php

This is the Hussar helmet, you are confusing it with.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thoog/1430262415/

And as for the Byzantine models, I dont think the devs are against them.
It just takes to long to get the items added.That would be the only thing I could criticize.

If I had enough time, I would also love to model some Byzantine items.

These look great. It sure looks like a Byzantine cataphract. Did the Ottoman's use cataphracts?
I'm not seeing any "lobster tails" on the turkish examples you've provided though. Do you have any with them, because if I remember correctly the item models in game have lobster tails (the segmented neck piece on the rear of the helmet).

Sorry if I titled my original post in a confusing way, I was just trying to make the point that we were using helmets from a period much later than the medieval period and warband is originally a medieval themed game 1257 c.e. if I remember correctly. Sense I didn't read the captions on the pictures for the wikipedia article, I didn't see that the turks had been using the chichak helmet for a while before it was adopted by Europeans in the 17th c. My bad.

More Byzantine armor would be very nice to see in this game, I agree 100% with you there. Some seljuke Turkish items along with more mamluk armor would be pretty cool as well (the stock armor is nice, but it would look really nice with enhanced textures, shimmering with diamonds the way they're described from historical accounts instead of just that dull grey color).

Offline The_Angle

• Baron
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
  • Qaddaffi 4 eva
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2011, 07:42:36 pm »
+1
This man is obsessed with the Chichak.

In the land of rape and honey, you prey.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2011, 07:43:18 pm »
+1
It is a pretty big deal.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2011, 08:46:17 pm »