Author Topic: Why is there so much whining in cRPG?  (Read 10546 times)

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
Why is there so much whining in cRPG?
« on: September 27, 2011, 05:34:34 pm »
Hi there!

I play (and have played) quite a lot of multiplayer games, and there has always been a lot of whining about balance, other classes and similar stuff, but not a single game came even close the the level of whining in cRPG.

Don't get me wrong, I don't call every critics whining (in fact I hate people doing so), I just use it to describe the enormous hate some classes have towards others.

I ask myself, where this comes from, because if we can localize the problem, we have better chances solving it and perhaps achieve a balance that pleases everyone and thus improve the overall atmosphere in the community.

I am far away from the answer of this question, but I think the problem comes from the personal perception, that other players need less effort to kill you than your effort to kill others. Which, on one hand, probably comes from the rock-paper-scissors-system, on the other hand from the big impact of player skill on the game. If this is true, I don't know how to solve this...  :?

What do you think?

I would appreciate very much if people could limit their trolling in this topic. It's a serious question, and I think the matter is really interesting, because if there is anything you associate with the cRPG community, then it's complaining about other classes. 90% (felt value) of all discussions is about nerfing other classes. Why?

And no, "whiners whine" doesn't help...

Sure there will be some very funny guy who quotes this anyway. If he does so he just humiliated himself in my eyes for having literally no sense of humour at all.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 05:37:06 pm by Joker86 »
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline played

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Why is there so much whining in cRPG?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 05:39:03 pm »
There is not more whining here, then in your average MMO game.
 For me, the rage & whine usually happens when something i consider lame, kills me. (cav, most archers, long-axe, polearms, xbow etc)

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 05:40:05 pm »
Okay, how do you consider what's lame and what not?
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 05:42:20 pm »
Why is there so much whining in cRPG?

manifest noobness and acute gayness.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 05:48:41 pm »
Like it or not, I hold the position that the classes are pretty much balanced.  I don't see one class or one gear layout over-used or consistently topping the score boards.

Sure, there can still be some balance tweaks, but I don't know where the whining comes from.  I've played pretty much all classes (2h, pole, shield, cav, archer) and they are all different, but one is not significantly easier or harder than the others.

The reason for whining?  I think people just get caught up in multiplayer games, especially ones where you play the same character and build that character (mmorpg's and such, which crpg has elements of).  I think we should just /ignore them.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 05:51:04 pm by Garison »

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 05:51:25 pm »
Like it or not, I hold the position that the classes are pretty much balanced.

this.

I think we should just /ignore them.

and this.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 05:59:50 pm »

For me, the rage & whine usually happens when something i consider lame, kills me. (cav, most archers, long-axe, polearms, xbow etc)

Respectfully, I think that's part of the problem the OP is referring to.  Some weapons/classes are "lame."  Why, because you were killed by something besides a 1h or 2h weapon?  You basically named all play styles except those two...LOL. 

Instead of rage & whine, just learn from it and adapt for the next spawn.
Bring a long spear, shield, or adapt footwork for those polearms!

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 06:02:36 pm »
+2
This game is the most frustrating piece of shit ever.  You keep getting killed without you being able to anything. Huge issues get overlooked or accepted. It's the hardest game there is.

Offline Snoozer

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Faction:Knights Hospitaller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 06:08:57 pm »
+4
hmm i am a pole(<i geuss our position should be stated in the crpg ecosystem lol)

from what ive gathered pretty much eveyone agrees that this game requires alot of skill
(meaning its not completely about some sort of stats or lvl though god forbid i lvl 14 kills u n tells u hes 14.ive seen DL_kryser do that its mean Q_Q)

so people think if there strictly skilled enough they can win anything anywhere

but THERE IS a sort of "paper rock scissors" system

certain classes by default are naturally weaker to other classes in slight ways

simple examples strong vs weak:
poles vs cav
cav vs archer
shield vs archer
archer vs non-shielder
2h vs general all rounder class imo

so whenever u meet your natural enemy in the crpg ecosystem it is harder to survive

^and also maybe because the skill of this game requires more tactics that the average player is not use to

ex:if one is a 1H+shield it does not mean hes going to run directly towards the archers on a roof, he still has to avoid fire by dodging or going around buildings to sustain the shields hp for when he really needs it
(ei when he is so close the archers CANT miss him or when he has to go up a ladder)

ex2:or if you are a pole even though u can kill horses it doesnt mean u run into the middle of the courtyard surrounded by cav u have to put yourself in a position where its harder for them to couch and surround u

it doesnt mean u CANT kill them but its certainly harder to survive with them around you. if an archers pelting me i have to either get cover or dance like Michael Jackson not walk in a straight line just saying.

but when this happens what if he is just as skilled as you?or better yet even more skilled your odds of survival plummet
^thats when the QQ begins(or atleast the logical QQ sometimes people r just mad they lost)
Good Bye Lost Legion R.I.P Q_Q

Offline Raki

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Teresa
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 06:13:48 pm »
+1
Well...there are times where you would usually be able to win a fight, but are unable to because of some reason. One that causes a lot of rage to especially melee users without shields (pole & 2h) would be running archers, shotgunning crossbowmen or throwers practicing a combination of both.
You "know" you would be able to kill that person if you were only one step closer, but you get killed because of a trick that seems cheap at that time.
Also, horsebumping can be quite rage-inducing as the rider effectively allows someone, possibly inferior in skill, to kill you easily while you are stunned. The same can be said for pikes/long spears as they can force you to block down, where you actually want to block the person right in front of you.
That said, people are whining because they're losing a fight they could have won because they're either unaware of their environment or they're underestimating the other team.
Myself, I'll try to whine less about people and learn to dodge point blank shots and bolts shot from mid-close range.
(Also, I'll get me a flamberge to prevent cavbumps  :twisted:)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 06:15:40 pm »
+1
Whining happens more when people can't easily change and adapt their build and equipment to what they whine about.

In Native, there is whining about the amount of ranged because some players want to play melee yet it's not optimal, even for them. In cRPG, on top of that you have the char inertia. You can't switch class like in Native, thus the whine is worse.

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 06:19:28 pm »
well its been a long while since i played a MMORPG and i cant really remember going on to the forums to whine in an mmorpg.

i used to make guides, write stories and talk about stuff etc but i cant remember changes being made that I felt really affected me in any way

in crpg people give a shit about losing 1 damage on their weapon of choice or an extra 1 dmg on weapons they hate because they feel it really affects them in-game

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 06:28:38 pm »
+1
I don't think the whining is any more or less prevalent in CRPG than other multiplayer games with 'classes'.

One thing I do find funny is how some people *coughGORATHcough* seem to believe that a certain class *coughRANGEDcough* has a certain mentality that is exclusive only to those players *coughPUSSIEScough*.

I've played a bunch of classes, from ranged to melee to cav (I'm a terrible cav) and it's funny how complaints change.  It's like people think that only real men play class XYZ, while pansies play class ABC, without realizing that most people play a bunch of different ones.

So I'd say it is false perception of classes that one isn't familiar with that leads to whining.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 06:32:17 pm »
This game is the most frustrating piece of shit ever.  You keep getting killed without you being able to anything. Huge issues get overlooked or accepted. It's the hardest game there is.

haha

Offline Joseph

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • I am your worst french nightmare.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 06:47:23 pm »
+1
People rage because they simply can.

It's not like raging to Blizzard or something, but on cRPG, they know chadz can do something about it if they whine hard enough.
"Dam those peasants bite hard"