Author Topic: Why is there so much whining in cRPG?  (Read 10952 times)

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
Re: Why is there so much whining in cRPG?
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2011, 01:07:45 am »
+1
Ha ha, a thread about whiners has turned into whining about balance- like all threads in this forum do.

I love everything about CRPG.  I don't give a damn about balance, I just like playing my char the way he is, but then again my entire self worth is not dependent on my kill/death ratio.  True, it sucks when you get a random head shot when you charge up a hill, but that sorta seems historically accurate- that shit did happen (ask King Harald), and it was even worse for them- and they never whined (well, their widows might have).

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
  • Renown: 442
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brrrak
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2011, 01:23:35 am »
+2
I'm just angry I suck.

What the fuck's anyone else's problem?

EDIT:  Oh yeah, make the fucking plated charger eight riding, ffs! 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 05:39:00 am by Brrrak »

Offline spacebug

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2011, 02:28:35 am »
+2
You should've seen the day Red Orchestra 2 was released. Tripwire have a good connection with the playerbase but DAMN i haven't seen so much whine and anger in a long time on Steam Forums lol. Each thread = REFUUUND FAK THIS PIECEOF CRAP! ITS SO SLOOOW AND BUGSSS!!! RAGEEEE

don't you think a consumer has the right to complain about the product they purchased if it's not working as intended/should be? There is a fine line between complaining without a legitimate reason and complaining with one. Games, when released, should at the very least work with some mediocum of stability. And it's the apologists that allow for continued release of slipshod half assed jobs that barely pass for a beta. Let's be realistic; expecting optimization of a game to be complete is hardly setting the bar high. When a game comes out with terrible frame lag and littered with a plethora of bugs, I say they are completely in the right to ask for a refund (even though they will never get it). 

complaining for the sake of complaining is just annoying, I agree..

To everyone -

When it comes to mods you have to lower the expectations, clearly, but...... As a new player it's just so frustrating to run around completely ineffective regardless of what equipment you have. I don't give up easily so I'll keep plugging away until I get to a level where I can compete... But most people don't have that patience and long term success will depend on attracting and keeping new players. If you can accomplish this without dumbing down the game play then I say any and all questions of balance should be at least tested out before they are dismissed out right.

The servers I play on it's just people of high levels running around in their underwear one shotting people.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 02:30:32 am by spacebug »

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2011, 03:00:13 am »
How to get around all whining:

Become good 2 hander and good cav, alternate between these with generations, congratulations you are the one who causes the whine
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Herald_Hardrata

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2011, 03:07:56 am »
People are "whining" because, as has been said elsewhere, the devs and admins are becoming less and less concerned with the perspective of the general player base, and the quality of the game is generally diminishing over time.

- There are no patch notes. The devs do very little to try and communicate changes and their overall vision for the mod with the rest of the community, and as of last patch, it actually broke more things then it fixed.

- As has been brought up elsewhere, the devs blatantly ignore great looking, historically relevant items that the community spends countless hours making for arbitrary and unknown reasons. (Byzantine armor.)

- Refusal to add Roman armor because its "not from the correct historical period", but then they go and add 17th century armor. There are vikings, knights, conquistadors, ninjas, samurai, but when it comes Roman and greek armor which wouldn't cause balancing issues, they just flat out say no. I have yet to hear a reasonable answer from a dev about why they keep refusing to allow such a popular request which wouldn't damage the look and feel, or balance of the game. Still waiting...

People are "whining" more because the devs have stopped caring about what the community wants, or at least are extremely selective in what they actually work on while ignoring anything they don't want to do.

Offline Dede

• Count
  • Renown: 161
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2011, 07:03:43 am »
- Refusal to add Roman armor because its "not from the correct historical period", but then they go and add 17th century armor.

I've already corrected you on another topic (http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,16702.msg237889.html#msg237889). Please stop spreading out your false information about the "turkish Chichak". It doesn't become true the more time you repeat it.
The polish winged hussar capeline in "With Fire and Sword" is from 17.c. not the turkish Chichak. 

Offline Kabookie

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kabookieson
  • Game nicks: Kabookie
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2011, 08:32:42 am »
Whine with spam... what more could you want?  :lol:

Offline Espu

• The good
  • Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Espu
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2011, 09:49:15 am »
+4
People are "whining" because, as has been said elsewhere, the devs and admins are becoming less and less concerned with the perspective of the general player base, and the quality of the game is generally diminishing over time.

[...]

You're obviously new if you see the game "generally diminishing over time". The stuff we've accomplished with very little resources during the last year are pretty amazing. There are of course shortcomings for example in communicating stuff to the community, but these have had some attention directed at them too during the last few months. "There are no patch notes" is simply not true any more. There are notes and their quality has improved significantly (we actually pay attention to the notes nowadays).

I would like to see you give some proper concrete examples of this diminishing quality or ignoring the community. If your 17th century thing (invalidated elsewhere already) and our refusal to add some Byzantine items really are the biggest problems currently then it seems to me that situation is quite good.

Last patch broke some stuff (like all major version patches) which were then rapidly fixed in the hotfix. As discussed over 9000 times before, the community is also the testing crew. This obviously means some amount of bugs are discovered when thousands of people start poking at the new code, but seeing how most of the major bugs are usually fixed within hours of release makes you seem quite unreasonable to demand more.

Concrete feedback is always appreciated but expectations need to be adjusted to available resources. To me it seems like you're a new player who's used to commercial-grade games with actual paid development and management teams. Also, most commercial teams break stuff too at patch day and release fixes slower than we do despite their paid testing teams and quality assurance policies and whatnot.

(This was more or less directed at the whole community, your post just managed to taunt me into writing an actual reply)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 09:52:09 am by Espu »

Offline Snoozer

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 58
  • Faction:Knights Hospitaller
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2011, 10:15:18 am »
personally i side with the devs on alot of things its not that they do not listen its just they have a lot on their plate

my point on this thread was how people somehow ignore the fact that maybe its because its there natural enemy that is the reason why things are "OP" or there strategy is not being adapted to the situation
Good Bye Lost Legion R.I.P Q_Q

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2011, 10:27:51 am »
+8
I think the biggest reason for whine is the combination of:

a skill based game,
that also has character stats,
paired with a rather persistant environment.

When you get whacked in a normal MMO where it's about clicking hotkeys and letting the char do the rest, it's easier to calculate why it happened. People can really figure out if that was happend was unbalanced or not.

In here, you get whacked, and now you don't know what to blame:
your own lack of skill how totally skilled the opponent was,
the ping,
the recent change in weapon stats that gave his weapon +1 damage,
the recent change in armor stats that gave your armor -1 defense,
a random factor?

It could be all, some or something totally different. Which makes it complicated. And because of the persistancy, you cant just say "hey, i'll just see and give it a try from the other side" in an instant.

If that is a desired effect or not is subject of a long discussion, I guess. I personally like it, because it means less game-calculating(excel sheets) and more game-feeling for players. I want people to know that weapon xyz will smash some heads, without being able to actually say why. Feeling. I'm still lobbying to hide the item stats altogether and replace them with a generic "low/medium/high" :)
(click to show/hide)

And then it's probably also what was said many pages ago - that you can actually communicate with us, so it might actually have impact. Need to think about that :).

Offline Corwin

• Earl
  • Renown: 499
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corwin_the_Lazy
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2011, 10:42:02 am »
+1
I love the idea of hiding weapon stats.
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2011, 10:43:17 am »
+2
I hate it. Petition to remove chadz from devs.

Offline Snoozer

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 58
  • Faction:Knights Hospitaller
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2011, 10:45:38 am »
I hate it. Petition to remove chadz from devs.
^who else will do this for free?

I love the idea of hiding weapon stats.
^idk people will then just randomly hate on weapons that good players use rather then having any facts to back up there case(then again they do that anyways).........maybe...but still i would hate to not know what the stats of weapons are
Good Bye Lost Legion R.I.P Q_Q

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2011, 10:50:07 am »

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!