Author Topic: retiring: what's the point?  (Read 5526 times)

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Barabe
  • Game nicks: POOPHAMMER
Re: retiring: what's the point?
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2011, 11:56:44 pm »
+1
Many people retire just so they can try out new builds, while some actually enjoy leveling back up (POOPHAMMER).

However, the equipment stat increases are not miniscule. They can make a large difference when you have several masterworked items. But you'll still be fine without them.

fuck you i hate leveling up i just respec now when i get bored with a build after i hit 31 so i just jump right back to 30 and make a new build
Uther Pendragon: dont worry i wasnt planning on trusting you anyway

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2011, 11:57:35 pm »
Do I need to quote chadz again on why we need upkeep? :|
I shall wait for the responses against the second most recent post though.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2011, 12:01:53 am »
+3
Do I need to quote chadz again on why we need upkeep? :|
I shall wait for the responses against the second most recent post though.

We need upkeep so gen 1 people struggle their balls off the maintain their gear for their painful grind to 31 so higher gen players who sold looms/loom points and have large stockpiles of millions of gold and heirlooms can trump around in full plate and plated chargers all they want so they can smite the poor weak peasants back into the hole they crawled out from

Offline Swahili_Zulu_Mon

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Great, Mighty Shaka
  • Faction: ZULU
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2011, 12:04:31 am »
We need upkeep so gen 1 people struggle their balls off the maintain their gear for their painful grind to 31 so higher gen players who sold looms/loom points and have large stockpiles of millions of gold and heirlooms can trump around in full plate and plated chargers all they want so they can smite the poor weak peasants back into the hole they crawled out from
+1000
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Mighty Shaka Zulu

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2011, 12:06:57 am »
Strange, this poor weak peasant made it with no difficulty. I guess I am, not surprisingly, just better then everyone.

Made a shielder before the free upkeep thing came into effect, use a military cleaver, huscarl, klapvisier, Rus Scale Armour, Splinted greaves and chain mittens... Pretty damned deadly and sustainable.

Made a poleaxe character even before this free upkeep thing too. Now gen 2, but even at gen one was making money with a bunch of gear. Even with the new higher upkeep, I can still troll around with my usual gear of a Barbutte, Poleaxe, Black Coat of Plates, Wisby Gauntlets, and Light Strange Boots... still making money... Oh no wait I did ditch my Long Dagger... so technically my outfit is 300 gold cheaper then normal or so...

Quit your bitching.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2011, 12:09:18 am »
Wait free upkeep? Where?

Offline Swahili_Zulu_Mon

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Great, Mighty Shaka
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2011, 12:13:49 am »
Strange, this poor weak peasant made it with no difficulty. I guess I am, not surprisingly, just better then everyone.

What's your ping?

Mighty Shaka Zulu

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2011, 12:15:04 am »
What's your ping?

At the time it was 80 to 90, but with the new servers it is 70. 178 on EU though.
Wait free upkeep? Where?
Back when upkeep was in effect even at level 1 instead of less then 26 like it is now. I earned every penny on those accounts. With the new "free upkeep" for newbies, you will earn slightly less then 96,500 gold by the time you hit level 26 for the first time. That is enough to buy very nice gear and have a reserve big enough to take any "bad day" without going broke. If I did my characters now the same way that I did back then, then it would be obviously even easier and my alt characters would be filthy rich in comparison.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 12:18:07 am by Tears_of_Destiny »

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2011, 12:17:49 am »
+1
Swahili_Zulu_Mon:

I see your point. Yet there is one problem with what is being discussed.

If we want cRPG to be a game, where you have the feeling of developing your character then it is hard to avoid discrepancies between newer players and veterans.
If we do not want cPRG to be a game where you have this development, why not just play native?

Other games are larger so that they can sort the servers compared to your level, cRPG can't.

Call it grind or call it development. It is not for everyone but it gives a sense of achievement.
And if I had found the game boring I would never have "developed" my way through 9 gens over a year of playing.

Add to that, I do not believe that your guesstimation of skill/heirloom ratio concerning victory is correct.
Skills is 95% heirlooms is 5%... even after 12 gens.
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2011, 12:22:52 am »
+1
Swahili_Zulu_Mon:

If we want cRPG to be a game, where you have the feeling of developing your character then it is hard to avoid discrepancies between newer players and veterans.
If we do not want cPRG to be a game where you have this development, why not just play native?

Other games are larger so that they can sort the servers compared to your level, cRPG can't.

Call it grind or call it development. It is not for everyone but it gives a sense of achievement.
And if I had found the game boring I would never have "developed" my way through 9 gens over a year of playing.

Add to that, I do not believe that your guesstimation of skill/heirloom ratio concerning victory is correct.

100% agree.  Just have to play on Strategus where no one has heirlooms and most of the same people that do well on the battle server also do well on Strategus battles.  I play on my alts who are mid-twenties levels and I can consistently top the charts with my 2hander using medium gear and a miaodao and no heirlooms, get a 2:1 k/d with my cav alt witha  double loomed destrier and thats it, xbowmen same thing, etc. 

Heirloom benefits have been nerfed several times now and I have not retired my main or alts in 5 months because quite frankly it doesn't make a real difference, certainly not worth the grind (I did respec my main (no loom for that just lose half your xp to change your stats)).
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2011, 12:25:51 am »
Ooooh, breaking down my post and saying "wrong" after each of my sentences... I see what you did there... Do you really want to have a conversation like this? Alright... if you insist.
 So obviously you're out of touch with what's it's like to be new in this game.
 Do "some of us" also maintain a healthy social life and work 50-60 hours per week?   Lol, you sound like a republican trying to defend tax breaks for the wealthy.
I wasn't talking about upkeep, I was talking about buying the items second hand on the marketplace.
 Ah, the stupid-nubs-don't-know-anything argument. Nice to see such lazy thinking from the admins.
 You're joking right? The inequality between old and new players is painfully obvious. Just go on any server and you'll see the same tin cans doing the same thing all day. Lol, you're lying to yourself if you think "skill" is mostly responsible for your KD ratio. Sad to see an admin who's so naive about an online game.
 Please, by all means, name these players who are crushing tin cans on plated chargers with their scythes, I'm all ears.
 A new player isn't someone below 25, a new player is someone who's still on their second generation and doesn't have 5+ heirloomed items. Earlier in this thread people were talking about what a big difference heirlooms make. I guess they're wrong though, eh? You know why so many players are continually respeccing to stay below 26? It's because upkeep costs are fucking excessive, ruin the fun and turn the game into a boring ass grind.
 You must love doing anything when you have retired as many times as I'm guessing you have and you have accumulated such excesses in heirloomed gear and gold.
I played for a couple weeks when this mod was first released (been playing warband since day 1). It's still like that, it's just they have a ton of heirloomed items now instead of a couple extra levels. In order to make any gold you still have to be a peasent for months wearing shit gear and getting 1-shotted by 2h spamming heirloomed tin cans who then go on the forums and chalk it up to skill and are general dicks to newer players telling them they just need to grind more and it will all be better.
 Based on my experience here the past couple weeks, you're wrong. It's a horrible leveling function.
 Are you sure, because from what I've read in the rest of your post, it sort of sounds like you're saying it doesn't and that performance differences and enjoyment levels are 90% based on skill.
 This is a retarded statement. Anything can be worse. Name a situation and I can tell you how it could be worse. A starving kid in africa could complain to me about not having food and I could say to him, "well there sonny boy, it could be worse, at least you don't have aids, why are you complaining?".
 I think you should reroll a level one account with no heirlooms and no friends helping you out, start as a peasent and just "ignore the grind," just "focus on winning," (even though you have no influence over the outcome of the game as a peasant unless you count throwing ladders or distracting the enemy for a glorious 2-3 seconds it takes them to catch and one shot you.

who the hell is going to listen to the new scrub who tries to boss everyone around, I know i'm not...

Could you be more condescending please, I don't think you're being condescending enough here. You honestly believe new players aren't thinking about this as they grind round after round having very little influence on the game? And you out of touch mods and admins get mad at all the leechers. Maybe make the game a bit more insteresting during the "fun" part (aka boring ass fucking grind), and maybe the amount of leeching my decline a bit. Ever consider that?

I have no incentive to win, as I have no influence over the outcome of battle matches as a new player. The only incentive is that eventually I'll be able to make a character that will stand an equal chance against these older players, because right now it's a boring, unrewarding grind where you stand little chance in battle and have to deal with stupid dick old players who chalk up their repeated victories to "skill". Give me a ton of gold / xp for killing a heirloomed tin can 2h spammer and I might actually consider trying. Until then there's no point. I'm just forced to sit there like a sponge and collect the xp like welfare checks, saving them so hopefully one day I can afford to compete.

Your current upkeep system turns this game into a boring grind and it's made worse by a bunch of forum chocolate chip cookie old players attacking anyone who complains about it.

Wrong.

The game has evolved substantially, and is much easier for new players to compete that it ever has been.

If you stopped complaining about looms and gold and ping for a moment you'd notice that it isn't very hard to get some decent gear and compete with players provided you lern2play.  I got the majority of the gear I've ever had by gen 2, and haven't had problems with gold since that time. 

Phazey was right: if you stick around and gain battle awareness and other skills you'll see how little looms & ping really matter.  I'm not going to lie and say that looms don't help (they obviously do) nor am I going to say that someone with 30 ping isn't going to have an advantage against someone with 150 ping (they obviously will) but you seem to be trying to find any way to justify to yourself why you aren't as good as other people.

Truth hurts sometimes.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Swahili_Zulu_Mon

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Great, Mighty Shaka
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2011, 12:26:27 am »
Swahili_Zulu_Mon:

Skill is only a big factor when other variables are controlled for. For example, Skill is not 95% of a match when you, clad in heirloomed churborg wielding a masterwork flameburg at lvl 30 square off against a guy wearing a grey tunic and wielding a voulge and darts. That's not skill, that's milking your gear. This and ganks are what the majority of kills in crpg end up being.

Mighty Shaka Zulu

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2011, 12:28:09 am »
What's your ping?

Mind if I ask what your ping is?

Offline Swahili_Zulu_Mon

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Great, Mighty Shaka
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2011, 12:33:37 am »
Wrong.

The game has evolved substantially, and is much easier for new players to compete that it ever has been.

If you stopped complaining about looms and gold and ping for a moment you'd notice that it isn't very hard to get some decent gear and compete with players provided you lern2play.  I got the majority of the gear I've ever had by gen 2, and haven't had problems with gold since that time. 

Phazey was right: if you stick around and gain battle awareness and other skills you'll see how little looms & ping really matter.  I'm not going to lie and say that looms don't help (they obviously do) nor am I going to say that someone with 30 ping isn't going to have an advantage against someone with 150 ping (they obviously will) but you seem to be trying to find any way to justify to yourself why you aren't as good as other people.

Truth hurts sometimes.

Saying "wrong" without providing any contrary evidence doesn't really prove anything, it just makes you look like a biased dick.

I never claimed to be really skilled. I like how you're making assumption about me and then resorting to ad hominem when someone is critical of your game and actually reasons out an argument.

Try leveling up a new character with the new upkeep system (upkeep got much harsher after the last patch). Come talk after you've finished your first gen without any heirlooms, extra gold / gear from friends, or other crutches.

Mighty Shaka Zulu

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2011, 12:37:46 am »
+1
Try leveling up a new character with the new upkeep system (upkeep got much harsher after the last patch). Come talk after you've finished your first gen without any heirlooms, extra gold / gear from friends, or other crutches.

I have, and it is even easier then before.