Author Topic: retiring: what's the point?  (Read 5928 times)

Offline Swahili_Zulu_Mon

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Great, Mighty Shaka
  • Faction: ZULU
Re: retiring: what's the point?
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2011, 12:28:37 pm »
+1
Still, some people retire very fast. You just need to play 24/7. I guess even once a week is possible.

...wtf do the devs think this game should be wow?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Mighty Shaka Zulu

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2011, 12:29:58 pm »
...wtf do the devs think this game should be wow?

Most people don't do it that fast and the mod/game is still mostly skill based. So no, this is still far from WoW.

Offline Swahili_Zulu_Mon

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Great, Mighty Shaka
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2011, 12:36:03 pm »
+1
Most people don't do it that fast and the mod/game is still mostly skill based. So no, this is still far from WoW.

Skill is only a factor after gear and ping are taken into account. A boring ass is grind is still a boring ass grind, and that's what the economics of the game force you to do, grind for better gear so you're eventually not a one shot target anymore. Sure it's fun for the my old friends who have been playing since day 1 on their plated charger tin can set ups with 1 million+ gold, but for newer players it gets old quick.

Mighty Shaka Zulu

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 12:38:01 pm »
Skill is only a factor after gear and ping are taken into account. A boring ass is grind is still a boring ass grind, and that's what the economics of the game force you to do, grind for better gear so you're eventually not a one shot target anymore. Sure it's fun for the my old friends who have been playing since day 1 on their plated charger tin can set ups with 1 million+ gold, but for newer players it gets old quick.

Are you saying that you can't get heavy armor and a decent amount of gold to afford upkeep in a few days? Also skill>gear in this game, sweetheart.
Boring ass grind? I play the game because I like to play it, not to grind. From my perspective, there is no grind.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 12:39:18 pm by Vibe »

Offline Swahili_Zulu_Mon

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Great, Mighty Shaka
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 12:43:47 pm »
Are you saying that you can't get heavy armor and a decent amount of gold to afford upkeep in a few days? Also skill>gear in this game, sweetheart.
Boring ass grind? I play the game because I like to play it, not to grind. From my perspective, there is no grind.

You forgot ping.

How much gold do you have? How many loomed items do you have? Be honest.

Mighty Shaka Zulu

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2011, 12:45:48 pm »
You forgot ping.

Only way to make ping a non-factor would be to make the game completely non skillbased.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2011, 12:46:22 pm »
You forgot ping.

Yes, I forgot ping. Ping is a strong factor in this game, especially in duels with skilled people.
I'm currently at 70k gold and three +3 (masterworks/lordly) items. Generation 6, retired 4 times in the new system, without the mega gen xp bonuses.

Not sure what all this could tell you, though.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 12:49:25 pm by Vibe »

Offline Swahili_Zulu_Mon

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Great, Mighty Shaka
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2011, 01:02:10 pm »
Yes, I forgot ping. Ping is a strong factor in this game, especially in duels with skilled people.
I'm currently at 70k gold and three +3 (masterworks/lordly) items. Generation 6, retired 4 times in the new system, without the mega gen xp bonuses.

Not sure what all this could tell you, though.

Just sayin' you have a lot of gear that other people are still grinding to get. It's much more rewarding when your gear is already superior to everyone else's. A long ass grind doesn't seem that bad when you already have the items everyone else are forced to grind for.

It would be cool if ping were less of an issue for this game, then I'd be willing to take claims about skill more seriously. But going 15/2 with a ping of 15 to me doesn't seem like much of an accomplishment when the rest of the server has a ping ranging from 80-150+.

Mighty Shaka Zulu

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2011, 01:06:51 pm »
+1
No, actually, the grind is MORE rewarding when you don't already have your stuff. Obviously. Because then you have something to look forward to, and y'know, get rewarded at the end by something that matters.

You can still compete with 80 ping. 15 ping doesn't make you a superman.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Swahili_Zulu_Mon

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Great, Mighty Shaka
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2011, 01:10:52 pm »
No, actually, the grind is MORE rewarding when you don't already have your stuff. Obviously. Because then you have something to look forward to, and y'know, get rewarded at the end by something that matters.

You can still compete with 80 ping. 15 ping doesn't make you a superman.

I personally think the grind sucks when all your equipment is subpar and you're getting killed by tin cans left and right. I'd rather have weapons that give me a real chance against those tin cans, it makes the grind more interesting rather than always fighting a losing fight and having some asshole like spooksland gloating about how great he is after each kill. That kind of grind gets old fast.

Mighty Shaka Zulu

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2011, 01:12:34 pm »
I personally think the grind sucks when all your equipment is subpar and you're getting killed by tin cans left and right. I'd rather have weapons that give me a real chance against those tin cans, it makes the grind more interesting rather than always fighting a losing fight and having some asshole like spooksland gloating about how great he is after each kill. That kind of grind gets old fast.

Well, if you're grinding then chances are you're low level and having a couple more damage on your weapon isn't going to make a difference. If you don't have your stuff, at least you can grit your teeth and think about the awsum item you'll get if you just endure.

But, I hate the grind altogether myself, which is why I only respec now.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1105
  • Infamy: 2185
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2011, 01:34:18 pm »
15 ping doesn't make you a superman.

Of course not. But makes a huge difference.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2011, 01:39:02 pm »
Of course not. But makes a huge difference.

Well I've never had it, but I doubt it's that huge. Sure it's a difference and I wish I had that ping, but it's not like you become a defenseless sheep if you have 50 higher ping.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2011, 01:59:11 pm »
Well I've never had it, but I doubt it's that huge. Sure it's a difference and I wish I had that ping, but it's not like you become a defenseless sheep if you have 50 higher ping.

True, but you can perform some godly feints with that ping and not to mention the window to correct your blocking errors is much bigger. Also chambering.

Just sayin' you have a lot of gear that other people are still grinding to get. It's much more rewarding when your gear is already superior to everyone else's. A long ass grind doesn't seem that bad when you already have the items everyone else are forced to grind for.

What's much more rewarding is training your skills and getting better at this game, while having fun doing so. In the end, gear is not the biggest factor here.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 02:01:42 pm by Vibe »

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2011, 03:17:57 pm »
Best way to beat Grind: Make some kinda of HA build. HC's are better, much more rage inducing than a HA(I would know ;p), and have fun just trololololing people who bitch about the 3 WORST things in  this Game: Cav, Archery, Never getting into melee.