Author Topic: shieldbash  (Read 6666 times)

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
Re: shieldbash
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2011, 02:19:59 am »
Onehanders would tk just as much if they had longer/more damaging weapons.

Offline Rextard

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Rextard, Rextardero, CornstablePonyGaper, CornporalCannonFodder
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2011, 01:44:57 pm »
    Christo I don't find the game frustrating. I find frustration in the 'lobbyists' who fight desired changes with abandon, rather than working with people to advance the dialectic and find balanced ways of implementing suggestions. I want the game to evolve and see the balance extend to more subtle and micro-scaled advantages and disadvantages, keeping tactics more important than finding the most effective 'build' in any 'class'.

While I like 1h, I am not strictly biased towards it. Personally I just dislike the current shield balancing/representation, and I think it could be made better without vastly changing game balance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Regarding your comments on my comments:
(click to show/hide)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd really like to see shield bash. I think it should have the same stun effect and only hit one person, but have shorter range and hit a bit faster and harder than a kick. Because the kicks go straight out but a shield bash goes on an inside-outside/guarded-unguarded arc, I don't think kicks should counter them, or that it should only be possible in a tight window. Kick already stuns through a raised shield.

I want shield bash for box-in situations so a shielder can have a chance to make momentary breathing space when faced by multiple attackers, without the full exposure (time-wise) of a kick. I don't think it would break balance. It would give those with the skill to use it well a chance of getting out of some of the tight situations that are hard to fight out of with 1h&shield.

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2011, 07:14:46 pm »
Uhhh, OP do you know anything about combat whatsoever? How is a hunk of shit attached to your forearm going to have a longer range then a full snap kick? The range of motion is nowhere even near each other. Even a full cross swing can't compare in range of contact to a kick.

It makes no sense whatsoever, besides what's the point. If you want to roleplay some tough guy who can shield bash people just close your eyes when you click the kick hotkey.

:lol: You really think it's somehow strapped to the persons hand??? Holy shit. Hollywood fail. You should know that the method which shield is held in game is historically inaccurate. Shields are held in a center grip so they can be moved around and dont expose the person to hits when pulling weapons etc.  :lol: That way the the bash range would be comparable to kick range in game.
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline justme

• Count
  • Renown: 188
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_Elsupreme
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2011, 10:02:36 pm »
i say why not, cav have their knock down slash kill, so whats the difference?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2011, 10:08:07 pm »
:lol: You really think it's somehow strapped to the persons hand??? Holy shit. Hollywood fail. You should know that the method which shield is held in game is historically inaccurate. Shields are held in a center grip so they can be moved around and dont expose the person to hits when pulling weapons etc.  :lol: That way the the bash range would be comparable to kick range in game.

.... Regardless, it's not gonna have a longer range than a kick.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2011, 10:24:10 pm »
.... Regardless, it's not gonna have a longer range than a kick.

Bucklerbash would challenge this statement. Besides, range is not most important thing.
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2011, 10:26:07 pm »
Bucklerbash would challenge this statement. Besides, range is not most important thing.

Really? How is your arm going to extend further than a kick, even if you have a buckler?
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2011, 10:32:11 pm »
Really? How is your arm going to extend further than a kick, even if you have a buckler?

Lean forward ?
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2011, 10:37:20 pm »
Lean forward ?

Uhh. You've never tried any sparring, or even watched any combat sports with both kicks and punches allowed, have you?
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2011, 10:46:47 pm »
Uhh. You've never tried any sparring, or even watched any combat sports with both kicks and punches allowed, have you?

I tried many times.

It would unbalance you like hell, your point ?
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2011, 10:52:26 pm »
I tried many times.

It would unbalance you like hell, your point ?

Point is that a kick outranges a punch. By a lot. K?
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2011, 11:06:17 pm »
Point is that a kick outranges a punch. By a lot. K?

Point is, where you want to hit, how much you want to expose yourself. In some cases, punch can outrange kick, relative distance matters.
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Rextard

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Rextard, Rextardero, CornstablePonyGaper, CornporalCannonFodder
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2011, 04:20:20 am »
   Bruce Lee's famous performance of the one-inch punch is the most poignant example of anything I would go on typing about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx9iPFMriz0

Offline Korgoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 742
  • Infamy: 100
  • cRPG Player
  • I've dated girls uglier than you for Breakfast
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Korgoth
  • IRC nick: Korgoth
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2011, 04:28:46 am »
Shield Bash is more realistic than a Kick. DO IT!!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Korgoth's Retextures
Korgoth's Hierloom Stall

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2011, 07:13:12 am »

+1

Shield bash is much more historically accurate then a kick.  Archeologist founds plenty of dented skulls on Roman and Spartan battlefields to know that shield bash was used extensively by these warriors.  The only reason not to put it in is because ppl fear change. 
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee