Author Topic: shieldbash  (Read 6315 times)

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
Re: shieldbash
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2011, 08:13:36 pm »
the shieldbash will have short range and be wuite slow, so if you take just 1 step back, you will be able to dodge it, and if you attack while stepping back, the shielder will be dead

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2011, 09:35:09 pm »
This is still the same mechanic like lolhammers. Do you want to give any shielder an additional lolhammer-button?
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2011, 09:39:01 pm »
Best suggestion yet was to just replace the kick animation with this.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Dreakon_The_Destroyer

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Kiss my Axe
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS
  • Game nicks: Dreakon_ATS
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2011, 02:53:46 am »
shield bash and throw sound NICE!
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

Offline Rogue_Eagle

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2011, 03:44:48 am »
yeah I often think a shield bash would be cool. A sword or axe isn't the only weapon in your arsenal after all.

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2011, 04:00:38 am »
I think big shield users like ATS would spam it, otherwise it would be really cool!  :D

Offline Mouse

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS
  • Game nicks: Mouse, Nezumi, Maus
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2011, 04:24:53 am »
also throwing shields

Shield bash is lame, but throwing shields is win. +1

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2011, 01:18:13 pm »
Shield bash is lame, but throwing shields is win. +1

Yes, and even more win would be throwing 2H weapons, I want to throw my german greatsword like a boomerang, it should make a 360 degree spin on a 20 feet radius around me than come back in my hand. It's not overpowered because it doesn't kill you if you are not in range and I am vulnerable while I don't have it in my hand.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2011, 01:19:45 pm »
As if there aren't enough people with huscarls on fields....

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2011, 04:16:47 pm »
hmm
add shieldbash, but decrease all weapon damage when using a shield depending on shield size
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 04:18:05 pm by Wookimonsta »
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Lotrix

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • #Rocker#
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Risen
  • Game nicks: Risen_Axxell
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2011, 04:36:42 pm »
Is a good idea,but to work only when youre equiped with huscarl's shield(the big) because only with this shield i think you can shieldbash(i saw in movies etc... )

Srry for my english
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2011, 12:36:56 pm »
Well, a shield bash would be okay, but ONLY if others get a counter-move. So, it has to be about the same as the kick, mechanic-wise.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Rextard

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Rextard, Rextardero, CornstablePonyGaper, CornporalCannonFodder
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2011, 05:36:57 pm »
Ummmm, why are all you trolls smoking crack before you reply to this thread?

1) Shield bash is a real technique that has historically factored into melee fighting.

2) 2handers can carry weapons that destroy shields in 2-3 hits.

3) 2handers can carry weapons that ignore shields altogether, as well as 1 handed parries. 1handers have no 1handed equivalent for crushthrough, no matter their strength.

4) Shields break during fights, heavy armor doesn't. All the tin cans running around in plate with 2handers get the same protection as the best shields, without having to worry about the armor's protection disappearing in an instant, or having to aim their armor to get any use out of it.

5) 2handers become effectively about as fast as a 1hander when they swing their cursors into the strike.

6) 2handers are vastly dominant over 1handers without shields: Range, damage, effective speed, retarded close range swings that would not have the luxury of breaking real life collision.

7) Currently, anti-shield strategy is gang up on the shielder: it's very hard to get a kill let alone survive against multiple enemies long enough to get help. A skilled 2hander can take on multiple enemies with far more likelihood of winning the encounter than a skilled shielder. You basically have to be in a clan to find the teamwork required to pwn alongside other shielders.

8) 2handers have no respect for shielders. Careless ffs and tks happen a lot because allied 2handers swing wild while shielders take hits for and/or from them.

9) Plenty of 2handed weapons can get 1hit kills. WHAT 1H weapon can do that consistently? None. So what often happens in group fighting? 2handers swoop in for the kill after a shielder takes damage (to self or shield) and softens up the enemy. No assist and little recognition for the work they put into 2handers having great k:d's.

10) It's not like shields are at all long, the range on a shield bash wouldn't be very much. Not to mention the dogmatic argument from 2handers that shielders are supposed to be more defensive. So give them a defensive technique!

I would like to see shield bash instituted. 1handers want a fair shot at top scores, I would say most don't have it.  Hell I'd like to see shield spins too, to smoke fools with the edge of a shield (tiny line of contact = big pressure), and follow it up rapidly with a one handed swing. I don't think it's ridiculous, given the high costs of higher level shields, that people should start having to think of them as more than just a defensive pin cushion with completely binary use.

Saying that the game is balanced is horseshit when the vast majority of the top scorers are 2handers. The game simply isn't balanced for skill if it's compromised for some member of the rock-paper-scissors scheme. I think it's getting further away from rock-paper-scissors, but it really could use some tweaks to get it well away from that horrid, terrible, inaccurate, inappropriate analogy.

Why do all you 2handers think that you should have an equivalent to whatever 1handers might get, when 1handers have none of the range or damage that you get, nor the diversity of weapon effects and choices?

Offline FF_Patrick_Henry

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Die hard supporter of Republicanism.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: United States of America
  • Game nicks: Death_Lifter, FF_FrancisLewis
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2011, 05:53:37 pm »
Uhhh, OP do you know anything about combat whatsoever? How is a hunk of shit attached to your forearm going to have a longer range then a full snap kick? The range of motion is nowhere even near each other. Even a full cross swing can't compare in range of contact to a kick.

It makes no sense whatsoever, besides what's the point. If you want to roleplay some tough guy who can shield bash people just close your eyes when you click the kick hotkey.
Liberty or Death

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2011, 02:10:18 am »
+1
Rextard, I hope you don't mind if I quote some of your arguments,

1) Shield bash is a real technique that has historically factored into melee fighting.

That's true.

2) 2handers can carry weapons that destroy shields in 2-3 hits.

Yeah, crappy shields. A normal/heavy shield user takes a lot more hits with an anti-shield weapon.

4) Shields break during fights, heavy armor doesn't. All the tin cans running around in plate with 2handers get the same protection as the best shields, without having to worry about the armor's protection disappearing in an instant, or having to aim their armor to get any use out of it.

But they can't hold RMB to bring up a forcefield around themselves. All the tin-cans? Heavy armor became a rare sight now, most people use mail because of the upkeep, and the lower base stats/wpf they've got. And the protection of armour is laughable compared to a shield.

5) 2handers become effectively about as fast as a 1hander when they swing their cursors into the strike.

You can use this technique just like anyone else.

6) 2handers are vastly dominant over 1handers without shields: Range, damage, effective speed, retarded close range swings that would not have the luxury of breaking real life collision.

I only agree about Range. The others are bullshit.  You can get a powerful, and fast 1h in one package.

7) Currently, anti-shield strategy is gang up on the shielder: it's very hard to get a kill let alone survive against multiple enemies long enough to get help. A skilled 2hander can take on multiple enemies with far more likelihood of winning the encounter than a skilled shielder. You basically have to be in a clan to find the teamwork required to pwn alongside other shielders.

Are you kidding me? A shielder can hold RMB to protect him/herself for a while, and can take on multiple opponents with greater efficiency than us, 2h/polearm guys, and if there are two of them turtles, it's all over. Also, we have very skilled shield users, fight them, and you'll take back what you said.

8) 2handers have no respect for shielders. Careless ffs and tks happen a lot because allied 2handers swing wild while shielders take hits for and/or from them.

Bullshit. TKs and ffs happen a lot, but not just with 2handers and polearms, it happens to everyone, no matter what build, you seem to be a bit biased.

9) Plenty of 2handed weapons can get 1hit kills. WHAT 1H weapon can do that consistently? None. So what often happens in group fighting? 2handers swoop in for the kill after a shielder takes damage (to self or shield) and softens up the enemy. No assist and little recognition for the work they put into 2handers having great k:d's.

A lot of weapons can do that, with enough Powerstrike. Ah, you fight for recognition, and kills? Sorry to tell you, you've already lost. This isn't a Frag hunting FPS, this isn't Sparta, this mod is about teamwork, tactics, and having a good time. That's it.

I would like to see shield bash instituted. 1handers want a fair shot at top scores, I would say most don't have it.  Hell I'd like to see shield spins too, to smoke fools with the edge of a shield (tiny line of contact = big pressure), and follow it up rapidly with a one handed swing. I don't think it's ridiculous, given the high costs of higher level shields, that people should start having to think of them as more than just a defensive pin cushion with completely binary use.

Saying that the game is balanced is horseshit when the vast majority of the top scorers are 2handers. The game simply isn't balanced for skill if it's compromised for some member of the rock-paper-scissors scheme. I think it's getting further away from rock-paper-scissors, but it really could use some tweaks to get it well away from that horrid, terrible, inaccurate, inappropriate analogy.

The top scores again? You have to change your mind about this, you'll only find the game frustrating if you want to be on the top all the time. Weird, there are 1handers who can manage to do this. Pracitce a bit more with your technique.

I have nothing against a shield bash, as long as I can counter it with a kick/something. Well, the rock-paper-scissors thing will stay for a long time, I think it'll stay forever, as long as people can make different characters. Each build has it's own weakness,
and they'll always have one.

Why do all you 2handers think that you should have an equivalent to whatever 1handers might get, when 1handers have none of the range or damage that you get, nor the diversity of weapon effects and choices?

Simple: Game Balance. Let's say, 2handers would get a move that can hit through your shield no matter what weapon, you would like an equivalent to counter it, right?

You have that diversity.. just look around.

PS: From your post I see that you're a bit biased/1h lobbyist. Stay calm, man.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 02:13:31 am by Christo »

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!