Author Topic: End this STR madness  (Read 18089 times)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: End this STR madness
« Reply #165 on: October 12, 2011, 07:25:29 pm »
I'm pretty sure that powerstrike effects the speed of the swing.

WPF is how often you can swing your weapon.

Need dev's to confirm or deny it but it has worked like this for a long time as far as I know.
Nope, has never worked like that. What the hell is the difference between swing speed and how often you can swing your weapon?

Offline Kato

• Count
  • Renown: 227
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 12, 2011, 08:10:14 pm »
If you arent going to change wpf curve at least stop adding hp per strength point after level 15 or 18.
PowerStrike doesnt matter much, but great survivability is where str builds shine.   

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2011, 08:15:33 pm »
Nope, has never worked like that. What the hell is the difference between swing speed and how often you can swing your weapon?

Swing speed is how quickly the weapon gets from A to B during a swing.

The second is how quickly you can prepare and fire another attack.

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 12, 2011, 08:26:21 pm »
Swing speed is how quickly the weapon gets from A to B during a swing.

The second is how quickly you can prepare and fire another attack.
Well thats not an independent value in Warband. You have only swing speed which covers both things you mentioned. Swing speed is mentioned by wpf and base weapon speed.

Offline hippy_with_a_scimi

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • Balbasaur
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Balbaroth since the dawn of times
« Reply #169 on: October 12, 2011, 08:37:42 pm »
I think Tydeus explain the situation way better than i could possibly do , its all about thoses 2 attributes

As of now Str gives way more benefits than Agi ,  it doesnt matter which build you do ,

we could say tons of variables or situations , but in the end : Str is superior to Agi

before the changes i was 15\36  , back then weaponmaster was worthwhile , agi builds were worthwhile and a crpg plague to some ( not in my view but ok) 

people whined too much about WPF difference ( retirement was causing the imbalance with the bonus wpf to retirement not agi ) 

we know whats the situation now , Agi has been cruficied and Str is the King of the hills 

Ill leave tydeus being my representative in this situation , he haz the writing skillz to explain in a neutral way :D

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2661
  • Infamy: 721
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 12, 2011, 08:56:27 pm »
Just take that free wpf away from them and buff wm a little bit and problem solved :wink:

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #171 on: October 12, 2011, 09:01:27 pm »
15\36
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Holy shit balby, 12 shield ath and wm with looms?
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline hippy_with_a_scimi

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • Balbasaur
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Balbaroth since the dawn of times
« Reply #172 on: October 12, 2011, 09:16:53 pm »

Holy shit balby, 12 shield ath and wm with looms?

LOL i love that face :D  , remember back then there was no level restricts :D i never putted more than 4 shield skill  ( for huscarl back then )  battles usually didnt last very long and the shield was sturdy enough , even now with 3 shield skill and a heater shield , its more than enough unless i get swarmed by shields breakers :D

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
« Reply #173 on: October 12, 2011, 09:20:20 pm »
Absolutely hate the huscarl shield, can't see anything in first person with the damn thing >:(, heavy heather shield ftw

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #174 on: October 12, 2011, 10:55:36 pm »
Absolutely hate the huscarl shield, can't see anything in first person with the damn thing >:(, heavy heather shield ftw

Bob...using a shield? I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #175 on: October 12, 2011, 10:57:12 pm »
And I'm saying, you're wrong. Most people couldn't kick even if you gave them 15 athletics. Str builds have an easier time kicking people than anyone else. Why? Because it's easy to kick someone that facehugs/charges you. When you kick it stops you from moving forward and your foot doesn't extend to 10 feet. No matter what you do, you can't kick someone if they're backpedaling from you, end of story. You will never kick someone that is playing the distance game, ever.

If you move significantly slower than someone they generally try to outfootwork you. This means things like circling you, which is best done at close range.

well i disagree, granted the only time i use kicks is in native duels. I'm pretty sure the advantage of str builds in kicking is minimal, since no one ever facehugs at kick range for a long period of time. Most agi builds use long weapons and makes YOU charge after them, sure you can play the waiting game, but they can outrange you with a glaive or GS while you hopelessly try to catch them. 1 handers are the only people that get kicked, and both agi and str characters can create situations where they can kick, my opinion is that the backpeddling agi has the greater advantage because he can lure you into charging, whereas the str build has to wait around and hope that the enemy uses a short weapon

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 12, 2011, 11:02:22 pm »
Bob...using a shield? I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!

That was before the long espada existed in c-rpg, before I could manual block. ell before any NA server were avaiable, still managed to kill Fedor at one point with my puny long arming sword, felt like a champ.

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 12, 2011, 11:40:04 pm »
And why would you want to use first person?

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 12, 2011, 11:42:07 pm »
Why the fuck not? Ever tried for an extended period of time? Its great immersion.
Been playing in first person since forever.

Offline WaltF4

• Baron
  • Renown: 131
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 13, 2011, 01:14:53 am »
+1
No, Powerstrike adds damage to your swings and has nothing to do with swing speed. WPF increases swing speed, percentually. So faster weapons get more of an increase than slower weapons. WPF also adds slightly to your damage and also decreases breaking chance.

The reduction in time per attack for melee weapons due to increasing weapon proficiency is proportional to the time per attack with 1 proficiency. The proportionality constant appears to be the same for all weapons and all attacks. The percentage reduction in time per attack it approximately 6% when increasing proficiency from 1 to 100 and 12% when increasing from 1 to 200. The absolute reduction in time per attack is larger for slower weapons since 6% of 2 seconds is larger than 6% of 1 second. The reduction in time per attack for faster weapons could only be considered to be more significant in that they already have a smaller window to block and reducing a 1 second window to block to 0.8 second is not as significant as reducing a 0.5 second window to block to 0.4 second.

The only way I know of that power strike could be considered to increase attack speed is that it reduces the time an attack must be traveling to inflict a non-glancing hit. That is to say power strike increases the duration of the sweet spot for an attack, and some portion of that increase is prior to the beginning of the original sweet spot in the attack sequence.