Author Topic: Balance Polearms  (Read 6993 times)

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
Re: Most pikes are questionable in 1v1, why not ingame?
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2011, 03:11:01 am »
didn't quite understand what he read

@ 1st Guy = I'm saying polearms get "Weapons" that can duel just as well as 2h's(read bec de corbin/poleaxes) + 300 length weapons, + shield usable WPP,

BTW 2h weapons usable on a horse use 1h WPP

Polearms have the best throwing weapons that use their wpp in "X" mode, hard coded Polestun, Pike and Poleaxe at same time, best on cav, best vs cav, shield usable WPP =  unbalanced weapon category?

yes I understand the arguments against cav and throwing weapons that utilize 2h WPP and "Unbalanced" "2h" class weapons, but you can't just say "Thats Realism" and then say oh the rest just needs balance forget about that advantage over there, I mean its hardcoded we can't count that(....!)

@ Gorath- I understand a few 2h class weapons can carry an shield, however you must use 1h proficiency(at a 35% penalty to speed/damage)
Polearm user can keep using his WPP, some weapons without a penalty, then without the shield if u say a Red Tassel or War Spear sucks, you are the one that has no skill I had no trouble killing with them.............

Also you seem to be ok with all the implicit advantages of Polearm but if the dueling Poleaxes became "Unsheathable" then for some reason all the advantages Polearms already have over other weapon classes become Nothing.....................I myself carry a pike with my 2h into battle

« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 03:14:07 am by DrKronic »
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2011, 03:13:19 am »
+1

Pointing out the Obvious to the Oblivious, or really just people that will do anything to evade the actual argument**********

I'm saying it's easier to do it for "Polearm" weapon person........
they have more options of what they can do with their WPP..........
so its not Balanced vs the other weapon classes..................

To compare the ability of 2h weapons on horseback vs 1h or Polearm WPP is a joke, as no 2h "WPP" can be used on a horse(very few 2h weapons, not the WPP though, you'll be using 1h WPP to swing)

I can use a pike and bec/poleaxe/glaive etc, preserving my wpp in both and what real disadvantage vs a 2h Greatsword when that bec/poleaxe comes out, oh wait the Bec eats armor like paper, especially the latest rendition of what cRPG calls armor

....implicit "Polestun", heavier dueling weapons in general in the 120+ length range equaling more Weight Stun effect all weapons can have.............

remember how they lightened the katana at one point, if we're not aiming for realism just balance why not top poleaxes at 2.5 weight?

not to mention Poleaxes are great vs shields, so with an elegant Poleaxe I had a weapon I could truly take on anyone with, there is no such 2h weapon...........

There is no balance between weapon classes----

Weapons over 150 length should be 3 slot, Polearm + Shield should use "1h" type proficiency, Pierce damages need to be reduced across the board to be inline with new "Mostly Reduce" Armors of cRPG

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2011, 03:26:41 am »

Pointing out the Obvious to the Oblivious, or really just people that will do anything to evade the actual argument**********

I'm saying it's easier to do it for "Polearm" weapon person........
they have more options of what they can do with their WPP..........
so its not Balanced vs the other weapon classes..................

To compare the ability of 2h weapons on horseback vs 1h or Polearm WPP is a joke, as no 2h "WPP" can be used on a horse(very few 2h weapons, not the WPP though, you'll be using 1h WPP to swing)

I can use a pike and bec/poleaxe/glaive etc, preserving my wpp in both and what real disadvantage vs a 2h Greatsword when that bec/poleaxe comes out, oh wait the Bec eats armor like paper, especially the latest rendition of what cRPG calls armor

....implicit "Polestun", heavier dueling weapons in general in the 120+ length range equaling more Weight Stun effect all weapons can have.............

remember how they lightened the katana at one point, if we're not aiming for realism just balance why not top poleaxes at 2.5 weight?

not to mention Poleaxes are great vs shields, so with an elegant Poleaxe I had a weapon I could truly take on anyone with, there is no such 2h weapon...........

There is no balance between weapon classes----

Weapons over 150 length should be 3 slot, Polearm + Shield should use "1h" type proficiency, Pierce damages need to be reduced across the board to be inline with new "Mostly Reduce" Armors of cRPG

i just don't get why. there are zillion threads about this. we repeatedly discuss it over and over and over.

with WSE, devs will have the possibility to work on the polearm stagger (aka stun), also poleaxes are heavier than swords so they stun blocks. but have a leverage handle that makes thrust and overhead to have a shorter reach than 2h counterpart. it's harder to duel with a poleaxe, but poleaxes shine in team (poke, stun, horse rear, etc)

2h weapons require less strength, have better animations (feints, hiltslashing, thrust is weak but reach is good, etc). 2h also shine at crushthru, dueling, raw DPS (damage per speed).

polearms shine at playstyle variety, teamwork.

end of the story.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 03:27:56 am by Corrado_Decimo »

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
Re: Balance Polearms
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2011, 05:09:20 am »
Ironically I've really started liking you Corrado.
Who'da thunk it.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2011, 02:44:04 pm »
Ironically I've really started liking you Corrado.
Who'da thunk it.

ofc i'm growing up  :lol:

seriously. besides troll battles, i think we're not completely retarded.. we can still discuss seriously about stuff. i'll not free-troll anymore.. unless michael write another silly thread  :lol:

i never had anything against you.. we just had some misunderstandings and too much serious trolling moments.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2011, 02:47:41 pm »
+1
D'aww.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2011, 04:09:22 pm »
you my old friends, MEN CAN'T SHOW AFFECTION :!:

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2011, 06:37:53 pm »
wut? this is clean, true and pure love!

and btw who said i'm a man?  8-)

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2011, 07:47:26 pm »
even read about the real awlpike

Awlpike(IRL description from book)-
Also known just as a "pike" and a Morris pike (corruption of Moorish), this is an infantry spear raning from 16 to 22 feet in length.  Awl Heads are usually leaf- or lozenge shaped.  The pole is made of a strong wood, such as ash.  Many pike heads are made with two tongues of steel, nailed down the sides of the shaft in order to prevent the head from getting hacked off.   The grip is often bound with cloth and the butt capped in steel to prevent the shaft from splitting.  The awl pike has the DUBIOUS distinction of being the SLOWEST polearm available.  add this to its MEDIOCRE damage against man-sized opponents, and one is left with a weapon of QUESTIONABLE VALUE, except when used EN MASSE on the battlefied.

Imma repost this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy6y9oXkjCo&feature=player_detailpage#t=18s now he's holding a real awl pike. And it looks quite similar to what we have ingame. 

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2011, 10:00:59 pm »
Awlpike/Ahlespiess image search on google:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Idk what your source was on about, the "awlpike", or more properly, the "ahlspiess" did exist as a popular shortish spear-like weapon.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2011, 08:45:00 am »
Idk what your source was

His ass.  As per usual.

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2011, 11:54:11 pm »
His ass.  As per usual.

actually I got that from a dungeons and dragons 2nd edition weapons manual, it also said the awlpike only did 1d4 damage so there

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2011, 01:31:28 am »

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2011, 02:03:15 am »
Imma repost this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy6y9oXkjCo&feature=player_detailpage#t=18s now he's holding a real awl pike. And it looks quite similar to what we have ingame.

as opposed to the Goendaug which looks nothing like what we have in game

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2011, 02:08:30 am »
Ass

As I said.

har! :D hai I won the lottery I'm thinking 1h military cleaver then +1 it on my next retire and go 1h no shield!, or maybe a pike, I use it so often
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 02:13:19 am by DrKronic »