Author Topic: CRPG has lost that luvin' feelin'  (Read 18622 times)

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
CRPG has lost that luvin' feelin'
« on: September 01, 2011, 06:35:48 pm »
+12
Let me preface this by saying that Warband is one of my all-time favorite games. Definitely in my top 3. I've never played any other game that has such fantastic mechanics for cav and melee. Also, CRPG is overall pretty well balanced. It's certainly a hell of a lot better than it used to be a year ago.

Nowadays though I have a lot of trouble playing it for a long period of time. It seems like it's getting more frustrating instead of fun. Maybe it's the game modes getting stale. You can only kill so many people or defend the same castles over and over again. Or maybe it's just the way people play the game. It seems that pew pew and long spears keep getting more and more common. When you're up against a team that's stacking long spears the only real counter is more pew pew and long spears and that continues ad nauseam...

It's just hard to have a good fight when a bunch of people with long spears roll up on you while enemies and friendlies are shooting you in the back.

I don't know what I'm trying to say exactly, just trying to vent.

What do you guys think?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: CRPG has lost that luvin' feelin'
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 06:38:42 pm »
Dunno, I'm having fun mostly. Long spearing should get more difficult though. If they do that and do this http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,14774.0.html, this game will continue to take moar hours from my free time.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 06:38:51 pm »
+9
It honestly sounds like burnout.
As stupid as this may sound, I suggest stop playing it entirely, and either play other games with your clan mates or just find something else entirely. After a nice break, come back if it starts to sound appealing.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 06:39:03 pm »

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 06:54:32 pm »
I think that you lose the initial 'wow this is awesome'-feel at some point with EVERYTHING you do repeatedly for a longer period of time, it'll happen to every game you love, you might still like it a lot afterwards but you won't have that "I need to play this"-feeling. C-rpg has a skill requirement unmatched by most probably every game except for actual simulators, which will always make it attractive as a game to keep your wits/reactions sharp :)

I've always felt that c-rpg was just a means to level and try out specs though, for then to be able to play Strategus. Never cared much for the FFA. However the current Strategus is plagued with a lot of exploiting and bug-abuse, no doubts that the new version will be much better though.

Stronghold also looks like an interesting mode :)

In either way, c-rpg seems to always be developing, changing, new maps, new modes, new items, new updates. That'll keep the game fresh but people will always have their 'favorite era' even so. Nothing to do about it, just personal preference.

As Tears suggested, take a break, anything you do too much you'll get tired of, same way as people discard music so quickly after having heard it on repeat for a week.

Everything in moderation.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 08:39:01 pm »
It's just hard to have a good fight when a bunch of people with long spears roll up on you while enemies and friendlies are shooting you in the back.

I don't know what I'm trying to say exactly, just trying to vent.

What do you guys think?

Problem #1:  expecting fair fights

once you get the whole 'honor' concept out of your system you should be fine.

I get a greater sense of accomplishment by NOT using whats overplayed, overpowered or lame.

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 09:04:23 pm »
It honestly sounds like burnout.
As stupid as this may sound, I suggest stop playing it entirely, and either play other games with your clan mates or just find something else entirely. After a nice break, come back if it starts to sound appealing.

This is what I and apparently a bunch of other BRD members did for the last few months before strategus came back. You'll burn out on any game if you play it for too long.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 09:06:41 pm »
Well, i have the same problem, but it is crossbow/spamitar spam for me, that makes games unenjoyable.

Offline Donkleaps

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 10:01:56 pm »
Less pug play more organized clan vs clan scrims IMO!

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 10:04:46 pm »
+1
Less pug play more organized clan vs clan scrims IMO!

God, I would love if we did this more often. We haven't done it in a looooong time....

I guess I am just burned out on the pug play. I honestly enjoy clan scrims much more than strategus even. When things aren't so serious it's so much more fun.

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 11:06:24 pm »
i play siege alot. and notice the trends you do rusty. i have also noticed how somethings change and nothing is said. all of a sudden im getting hit by every throwing archer thru my shield. one handed swings go right thru people as well. great mauls are 100 percent crush thru even if they hit near you. i get people dont like sheilders, but you have so many ways to deal with them. theres no reason for a polearm stun. you realize little things like that the more you play.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 11:14:27 pm »
It lost it a long time ago imo.
In TS the newer players are still excited.  The other older players though talk about some upcoming game because we're so fucking sick of this shit.

For me personally I cannot stand to even look at this game sober anymore, and now it's getting hard to even be drunk enough to tolerate the game.  All I see is "fuckwad with a ranged weapon, fuckwad with a horse, oh look fuckwad with a ranged weapon ON a horse, chat flood of moronic babble about whatever the kids think are trolololy tonight, bunch of guys butthurt and tk'ing each other, etc."

Very rarely do I see a "good fight" anymore, just a bunch of bullshit/trolling/idiotic behavior.  If it wasn't for the guys in voip I'd probably never load this stupid game again.  Only got in 30 minutes so far today on the day off I took and I'm out of shit to drink and having to go to the liquor store now in order to have the proper tolerance to participate in strat battles tonight.

Fuck this game.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 11:17:46 pm by Gorath »
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 11:29:16 pm »
+4
I think a lot of people apparently need to stop playing, yeesh.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 11:34:17 pm »
i got one word and one letter for all of you.

no u

now go play and grind.

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 11:46:41 pm »
Eh, it's become boring because there's nothing to work to, people can access the better weapons quicker, those with heirlooms are at a huge advantage because it's shit difficult to get them and leveling back up from lvl 1 just isn't fun anymore.