Remove ladders from battle?

Yes!
106 (58.6%)
No!
51 (28.2%)
I like the view
24 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 181

Author Topic: Remove ladders from battle  (Read 7943 times)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Remove ladders from battle
« on: September 01, 2011, 12:34:17 pm »
+4
In my opinion ladders, should be removed from battle. Roofcamping is a horror that plagues every round. Maybe archers should be buffed if they are unable to survive the regular battlefield with the dangers of cav, but the camping on the roof is just a too safe position for them. Even worse, rounds often get delayed because of a pack of ranged cowering on the roof.

I'm all for the implementation of deployable stakes to replace ladders in battlefield.

Please discuss this.

Offline ArysOakheart

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1322
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
  • Game nicks: Arys_TheDrunkenPeasant
Re: Remove ladders from battle
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 06:04:37 pm »
Well you have to realize all the positions archers would normally take that are unavailable in game. Would you think it fair to allow them to climb trees? Archers regularly would climb trees if and where they could, for that would be excellent protection against you full plate leaping giant two handed poleaxe swinging beasts. I think giving pull plate giant poleaxe wielding troops the ability to jump from one roof to another, evens it up just enough.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 07:20:45 pm »
I find it really unrealistic to see archers stand on a roof that has a 45º angle slope or more and not slip and fall down. I hate camping on flat roofs too anyway.

Those who claim archers need a roof to kill, just watch Chase nowadays. I played side by side with him a few hours back and he got a score of 20-4 or so, and he killed them all while standing on the ground. End of story.

Edit: I think the devs should also modify the existing maps where roofs can be reached without ladders, and those where there are ladders already built in with the map, so roof camping is erradicated once and for all.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 07:22:36 pm by Mikelon »

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 08:17:01 pm »
Make it happen!

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 08:30:52 pm »
Even though I often carry a ladder for friendly archers I completely agree.  We don't need access to ladders in battle.
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 08:32:18 pm »
dotted

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 08:36:45 pm »
dotted
Not entirely sure I get what this means

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 08:41:45 pm »
means i see replies under "new replies".

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 08:44:23 pm »
so he's intreged by it.

anyway, it's a good ieda, no more my old friendchers camping unreachable roofs, will increase the amount of battle battle-archers, like Tenne, which is a good thing imo, it is more realsitic too.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 08:50:36 pm by Berethorn »

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 08:46:10 pm »
+1
Ladders should only be removed if absolutely every single map is heavily regulated where every accessable elevated spot has at least two paths to it, preferably three, and the Master of the Field spawns are placed by the map maker to spawn in sane location on the map and not retarded/random spots. Every place that is not meant to be accessed should have an invisible wall.

Otherwise, keep them.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline partyboy

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
  • BRING BACK LADDERS
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GODQUEEN_PARTYGIRL_OF_BIRD
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 09:14:50 pm »
hey let's see how boring we can make this game, remove horses too
Subject displays signs of antisocial behaviour

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 09:21:02 pm »
+3
Ladders should only be removed if absolutely every single map is heavily regulated where every accessable elevated spot has at least two paths to it, preferably three, and the Master of the Field spawns are placed by the map maker to spawn in sane location on the map and not retarded/random spots. Every place that is not meant to be accessed should have an invisible wall.

Otherwise, keep them.
Gave this some thought. Ladders are currently mostly used to create accessable elevated spots with only one path to it. Rarely to create a second path to a location with already one path to it. Besides, isn't it better to let map makers decide where good accesable elevated spots are than the kill hungry players?

Map makers will have an easier time making maps when ladders are removed, because they dont have to worry about players getting up everywhere. They have more control on how the map should be played cause they can create the high spots and balance the map out, without artificial high spots throwing off the balance. Invisible walls everywhere will be much less needed than with ladders cause player movement freedom is essentially restricted.

In all my hundreds of hours of cRPG, I haven't seen much retarded flags, can't recall any. Even if they came in retarded unreachable spots, having ladders in battle wouldnt make a difference, cause noone carries around a heavy ladder on his back until the end of the round. If the flag spawns funny, youre doomed anyway.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 09:50:16 pm by SgtTeeh »

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 09:44:26 pm »
Agree with Tears here, archers firing from an elevated position is a natural part of the game, but when you can't get to them... I dunno, but I just find it very frustrating.

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Torost

• Count
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 09:59:00 pm »
The maps often not built with ranged in mind, flat maps with large open spaces. Ranged needs to get elevation to work efficiently. After the series of nerfs it is very hard to survive and be useful on ground level. It takes so long to draw, release,slow missilespeed.
Low armour + 0slot meleeweapon no 1handwpf makes it extremly hard to do anything in melee.
I have no love for the run,jump,draw,turn kiting,so I do not practice it.
But the kiting and ladders is the only way for archers to still be somewhat effective.
On foot archers get slaughtered.

I voted remove ladders , maybe that will bring to light how gimped archery is.
Or a change in how scenes are made.

Offline Brrrak

• Earl
  • Renown: 442
  • Infamy: 63
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brrrak
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 10:15:12 pm »
+1
Gotta say, I'm a bumbling 2her, and I hate this idea.  Ladders add an entire new level (literally, you put up a ladder and a new level of the map is opened up to be played on) to the battle, and changes the dynamic from being what was solely intended by the map developers into a dynamic which at least gives the illusion of the freedom of choice to players (because we all know that ONE roof on that ONE desert map will be the only one camped).  Maybe sharply angled roofs are a bit iffy, simply because I'm not entirely sure myself if you can apply draw to a bow with enough force and not fall off, flat onto your face, and then get trampled by an elephant...but as it is, ladders are fine, and I say keep them in battle.