Author Topic: Weapons which need attention  (Read 12940 times)

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
Re: Weapons which need attention
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2011, 12:17:03 pm »
Then you have a problem with reality.  Long weapons, even with the majority of the weight at the tip (like an axe) are actually quite balanced and responsive when wielded with a polearm style grip.  This grip gives you better weight distribution and leverage with the weapon as opposed to swinging something like a baseball bat (2h grip).  Grab a basic wood cutting axe, or sledge hammer.  Swing them from the bottom like a 2h grip.  Then move your hand up below the head in a polearm position and swing it.  Much faster and more responsive right?  Yeah, that's why poleaxes are balanced, while axes used in 2h mode are unbalanced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4OKvc-eOpM&feature=player_detailpage#t=255s

Hollywood I know, but Jet Li is actually a guenuine martial artist who understands movement and usage with all kinds of weaponry.  Look at how he holds the sledgehammer in a polearm gripped position, rather than a 2h "baseball bat" grip.

Anyways, even if you disregard that try it out yourself and you'll see the truth in the responsiveness of weapons like that when used in those different styles.
I was expecting that grip argument which is why I wasn't comparing axe and axe. My problem is that axes are totally superior to swords for less money: more damage, same speed, same length and the bonus against shields. Someone is going to say "lolstab" at this stage, but honestly, how often does anyone stab with a sword in combat? Stab is a stance to adopt at the start of an encounter but doesn't come into play much once the actual fighting gets going: watch and see how many people die from stabs compared to the ones who die from slashes.

I've heard so many contradictory statements about effective length due to animation I no longer believe any of them.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2011, 01:01:29 pm »
When I was 2h, i killed at least 30% of people with the lolstab.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2011, 04:50:10 pm »
I've heard so many contradictory statements about effective length due to animation I no longer believe any of them.

I suggest you test it out yourself. Go on duel, get the other guy to equip a axe and you equip a sword (or the other way around), then slowly close range and record which has more for what type of strike.

Or believe others, whatever. Point is, a 120ish length sword is roughly equivalent to a 140 to 150ish length polearm when it comes to swings (of course the 2h swords have a quite massive advantage in thrust range, but they're not one-shotting pikes like they used to be, so can't really complain there). You need longer polearms to have a range advantage, and none of the axe types fit the bill.

I overall prefer polearms of the non-shield breaking variety to get the range advantage. The only fairly long polearm with shieldbreaking and good damage is the GLB which is so incredibly slow I can't bring myself to use it (although, some do with a lot of effectiveness, not saying it's a bad weapon - just not for me).

As a polearmer, I find dueling another polearmer to be easier then a swordsman with one of the better swords, but for overall battle clusterfuck situation utility I'll take a long polearm any day.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 04:54:42 pm by bruce »
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1082
  • Infamy: 2292
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2011, 07:44:31 pm »
The No-Dachi costs more, does less damage, is the same length and speed and doesn't get a bonus versus shields like the axe.

Every curved weapon in game has something called invisible range. That combined with 2H animation makes Nodaichi one of weapons with longest reach in game, right in the area with ~160 length polearms. For example Flamberge has the longest reach in game, trust of Flamberge in game pretty much has the same reach as Pike which is 245 cm long. Stats won't tell you everything, you have to actually try out some weapons to notice their secret "features".

Someone is going to say "lolstab" at this stage, but honestly, how often does anyone stab with a sword in combat

As zagibu said, average 2h users kill 30% of their oponents with stab, truly skilled players kill 90% of their enemies using stab. When you're dead and waiting for round to end, switch to one of the better swordmen like Phyrex, Xant or vMega and watch closely what they do.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 07:47:24 pm by Leshma »

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2011, 07:48:23 pm »
I was expecting that grip argument which is why I wasn't comparing axe and axe. My problem is that axes are totally superior to swords for less money: more damage, same speed, same length and the bonus against shields. Someone is going to say "lolstab" at this stage, but honestly, how often does anyone stab with a sword in combat? Stab is a stance to adopt at the start of an encounter but doesn't come into play much once the actual fighting gets going: watch and see how many people die from stabs compared to the ones who die from slashes.

Eh. When I was on my 2h more, my average non-shielder kill came from a stab or a direct result of a stab. Granted, that was with bastard swords and katanas more than anything, but still.

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2011, 10:50:24 pm »
"When I was a 2 hander"... when exactly was this? Was it by any chance before the patch removed lolstabs? Also, the curve of the No-Dachi (as with other curved blades) doesn't actually make it any longer, as you will see from the diagrams on the lolstab thread.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2011, 11:18:19 pm »
Patch didn't remove lolstabs it made them easier and spammable.

Only thing new animation made was making thrust animation so fast you can't do a 360" thrusting slash.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2011, 01:22:01 am »
Only thing new animation made was making thrust animation so fast you can't do a 360" thrusting slash.

It also made them have less range, which is important, and much less damage, which is (very) important as well. They were one-shot moves, with huge range.

Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2011, 07:44:04 pm »
Strong Bow 6580
weight 1.25
requirement 5
spd rtng 63
shoot speed 51
thrust damage 24 cut
accuracy 96
Can use on horseback

Versus

War Bow 9250
weight 1.5
requirement 6
spd rtng 59
shoot speed 51
thrust damage 27 cut
accuracy 96
Can't use on horseback

You must be kidding. Right?

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2011, 03:51:34 am »
Wanna nerf the warbow? Ok, it gets -1 dmg next patch...
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #115 on: February 27, 2011, 04:54:23 am »
The biggest fail when it comes to weapon stats is the CORBIN. its expensive (360 to repair) and its sooo short and on a stab is no more dangerous than a spear. I grant that pierce is good against armour but come on its a steel pick on a stick i would rather it lose some damage and get some speed than being able to 1 hit peasants and goofy archers. Look at it irl it would be a piece of cake to spin around.

On another note it has to spikey sides can both get used instead of that goofy back hand swing

Bardiches should all have polearm animation even if they remain 2H no human could swing that much weight around holding it like that.

PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2011, 08:39:26 am »
The biggest fail when it comes to weapon stats is the CORBIN. its expensive (360 to repair) and its sooo short and on a stab is no more dangerous than a spear. I grant that pierce is good against armour but come on its a steel pick on a stick i would rather it lose some damage and get some speed than being able to 1 hit peasants and goofy archers. Look at it irl it would be a piece of cake to spin around.

On another note it has to spikey sides can both get used instead of that goofy back hand swing

Bardiches should all have polearm animation even if they remain 2H no human could swing that much weight around holding it like that.

Can't say I agree with you on the Bec. Its a fantastic weapon and is priced appropriately.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Thtb

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 28, 2011, 09:21:26 pm »
Throwing weapons. Big time.