Author Topic: Maps in Development  (Read 23850 times)

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
Re: Maps in Development
« Reply #150 on: March 29, 2011, 07:45:08 pm »
I has been making a village map inspired by the current maps.

I played that map yesterday, one big problem it has is that the tower that you can enter is much closer to one spawn than the other. It leads to massive camping. I'd move or remove that tower.

Offline Nurax

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Blah...
  • Game nicks: Hiragano
« Reply #151 on: March 29, 2011, 07:45:42 pm »
ERROR: Number of passages for site scn_multi_scene_77 exceeds 16. Exiting network manager...  OK!
 Deleting resources...  Exiting physics manager... 

The admin gets this error if he wants to add my map, anyone got an idea how I could solve thsi problem?
Could the code be wrong?scn_multi_scene_17 multi_scene_17 256 none none 0.000000 0.000000 100.000000 100.000000 -100.000000 0x00000002200005000005f57b00005885000046bd00006d9c
 outer_terrain_plain

Would be great if you know a solution :)

Offline Vanguard Warden

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: LLJK_Vanguard_IV
« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2011, 09:09:38 am »
Got a basic layout done for another siege map, was looking for some balance input on the design before I start landscaping:

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

I planned to have both gatehouses gated. The attackers would spawn in the fields towards the 'front' end of the castle (past the outer gatehouse), with the 'back' end of the castle (most of the area past the center wall where the inner gatehouse is) sitting on the edge of a sea-cliff denying access.

There's basically only three non-ladder ways into the flag area (left wall, right wall, gatehouse when it's open), might that be too restrictive? I've been considering putting a sally door to the flag area in the side-wall there, but that would skip past the entire rest of the castle. I could make it a long narrow path around the side of the castle up stairs (to deny horses and slow people down) in full range of archers to balance the risk. I'd like to hear what people think about this.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2011, 08:35:19 pm »
I say include the side door. The two open ways into your inner castle look like they could be easily defended, so a side door is probably needed.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Vanguard Warden

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 02, 2011, 12:47:15 am »
I apologize in advanced for posting too much.

I've always found it fun to fight inside Swadian cities in the single-player, but I haven't seen many battle maps that have gone for that feel. The following is an overview of my attempt at a Swadian city battle map:
(click to show/hide)

And because you can't really see anything with all the tall buildings in the way, here's a version of that image with helpful scribblings on it:
(click to show/hide)

The red line around the outside is the boundary of the playable area, the blue lines are open streets, the yellow lines are pedestrian-only routes (horses don't do stairs), and the green circles are the spawn points for both teams. I'm not sure how performance will handle all the buildings with lots of players, but I could clear out some of the background buildings to optimize things.

Any thoughts? Too big, too flat, not enough alleys?

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 03, 2011, 04:50:05 am »
WIP:

Woods Entrenchment

One main route, one side passage. Takes place in a forest with medium cover for both sides (I tried balancing as best I could).

It's rather simple in terms of details, but it's aimed at being comfortable in manners of playing. There are far too many tedious maps in most of the rotations at the moment.

(click to show/hide)

A few worries regarding performance, since there are quite a handful of trees present. I will be working more on colouring the terrain to make everything look more smoother.

For next time I'm planning on adding to the illusion of being enveloped in forest(in the most optimal way).

Opinions so far?
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Vanguard Warden

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 03, 2011, 07:57:50 am »
Seems overly flat. Like, 'max-radius level tool dragged around the entire map' flat. You want to at least have (very) gentle hills. The map will still be functionally flat, but the very slight elevation differences will mix up the lighting and shadows a bit and make the ground not look like AstroTurf.

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 03, 2011, 12:24:25 pm »
Seems overly flat. Like, 'max-radius level tool dragged around the entire map' flat. You want to at least have (very) gentle hills. The map will still be functionally flat, but the very slight elevation differences will mix up the lighting and shadows a bit and make the ground not look like AstroTurf.

Oh no I have some hills here and there. But it's mostly visible from the  ground.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Whalen207

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • If I see that fucking pickle one more time...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: [Guard_Whalen207 [Guard_Whale_Tosser [Guard_Whale_Tank [Guard_Whale_ArrowSpam
  • IRC nick: Whalen
« Reply #158 on: April 04, 2011, 12:02:40 am »
AstroTurf.

You thinkin' what I'm thinkin?

Arma 2, Mount and Blade, Garry's Mod and Coloholics Roleplayer, Coder, Mapmaker and Moderator.

Offline Arked

• Baron
  • Renown: 115
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • You own every word you speak.
    • View Profile
    • ShogunateTV
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_BD_Arked
  • IRC nick: Arked

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 07, 2011, 08:17:15 pm »
I don't like symmetrical castles.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Vanguard Warden

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 08, 2011, 12:31:16 am »
Yeah, you should generally avoid having a perfectly rectangular profile castles in siege maps, it's a bit dull to look at and usually doesn't have much mechanical depth either when you consider the single wall that goes around the entire thing in a straight line. It seems to work for the earth/viking props oddly enough, but stone squares always look bad. I definitely like the basic concept of a 'platform' castle instead of a traditional curtain-wall though. I've wanted to do something like that for awhile, but could never figure out a good way to do it. You should also try to get some vertical variety as well, maybe by using both 'platform' sections and curtain-wall areas.

Also keep in mind that I'm pretty sure castle_h_battlement_barrier (IIRC) at default tilt/scale isn't steep enough to prevent players walking right up the side, if that is what you're using. I'd also recommend attempting to use some more conventional props within the same style-set to avoid things looking messy.

Offline Arked

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • ShogunateTV
« Reply #162 on: April 08, 2011, 01:06:54 am »
Yeah, you should generally avoid having a perfectly rectangular profile castles in siege maps, it's a bit dull to look at and usually doesn't have much mechanical depth either when you consider the single wall that goes around the entire thing in a straight line. It seems to work for the earth/viking props oddly enough, but stone squares always look bad. I definitely like the basic concept of a 'platform' castle instead of a traditional curtain-wall though. I've wanted to do something like that for awhile, but could never figure out a good way to do it. You should also try to get some vertical variety as well, maybe by using both 'platform' sections and curtain-wall areas.

Also keep in mind that I'm pretty sure castle_h_battlement_barrier (IIRC) at default tilt/scale isn't steep enough to prevent players walking right up the side, if that is what you're using. I'd also recommend attempting to use some more conventional props within the same style-set to avoid things looking messy.

Im making this map mainly for clan event, after that ill try to rebuild it a bit to fix the wall climbing problem. For now its there intentionally.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/795/mb38j.jpg
http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/4932/mb39.jpg
http://img41.imageshack.us/g/mb40j.jpg/

and i dont see anything messy here ;p
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 12:01:37 pm by Arked »

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #163 on: April 08, 2011, 01:50:14 pm »
I need some balance critiscism of a new siege map i'm working on. The castle is inspired and named by Warkworth castle from northumbria, england. Layout idea 'borrowed' from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Plan_of_Warkworth_Castle%27s_keep,_1909.jpg.

(click to show/hide)
here it is unannotated for clarity

(click to show/hide)
with my scrawled annotations;

Orange - raised and unreachable except by stairs/ladders
Red - blockade with door openable (from both directions) by defenders, breakable by defenders.
Pink - Sally doors. Top is a hidden cave with breakable gate. Bottom is two normal castle doors (NOT SALLY DOORS, sally doors are stronger, but 2 normal doors = 1 sally door roughly)
Purple - Attacker spawns (roughly)
Light blue - Defender spawns
Dark blue - Ladder starts at the . and line shows where it raises to. The three leftmost ladders start inside the walls and lead to another wall section and are generally shotcut ladders
White - gatehouse with portcullis
Black - siege tower and route

Flag is directly in front of the big round keep but before the stairs which I helpfully forgot to mark. This is still a work in progress, texturing on terrain needs some seeing to and outside castle is mostly flat. Are there any glaring balance issues that you can see?
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Arked

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • ShogunateTV
« Reply #164 on: April 08, 2011, 01:54:20 pm »
Remove the fire, that amount of it will cause heavy lags for a lot of ppl.