Author Topic: Long spears aka pikes  (Read 32481 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Long spears aka pikes
« Reply #240 on: August 24, 2011, 09:21:29 pm »
I didn't know you were a fanboy of this Canary guy.

I didn't know I was a fan either before you informed me of it. Can I get my fanclub card now then?  :?
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #241 on: August 24, 2011, 09:38:21 pm »
Yes, that will be five hundred yen
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 2614
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 24, 2011, 09:48:10 pm »
Who are the items balancers?

they should try playing the game, long spears is fucking redic atm

One is Xbow aboozer and the other one is hiding behind shield most of the time. Both of them have no problems with pikes, obviously...

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 25, 2011, 04:12:30 am »
Pike is a support weapon. Long spear can handle itself on 1v1 if the player is skilled and lucky.

And that's the bullshit part.  No way you should win against a face hugging shielder. It's just snafued game mechanics that allow it to happen now.

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 25, 2011, 04:15:54 am »
One is Xbow aboozer and the other one is hiding behind shield most of the time. Both of them have no problems with pikes, obviously...

How do they even compare to a long spearman that can stab at 6" and overhead strike without team wounding?  The shield and the xbow are being used in a realistic manner, no abuse involved.  Long spears are a glitch.  That's abuse.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #245 on: August 25, 2011, 07:58:31 am »
+1
And that's the bullshit part.  No way you should win against a face hugging shielder. It's just snafued game mechanics that allow it to happen now.

Because this should definately be a class based game where the holy trinity of paper>rock>scissors balance is the word and light of god.

Because it means everyone will carry pikes and the game becomes about numbers, not skill.

Who seriously wants to see a game become about numbers instead of skill? Except people without skill... and even most of those are trying to become better. Why SHOULD two people be able to kill one more skilled guy by default? What fun is there in a game that is all about having +1 player on your side? Losing all competitive edge in a game means it loses most of its players.

If those two people kill that one more "skilled" guy by default then perhaps he isn't as fucking skilled as he imagines himself to be in his mind.   :shock:  BLASPHEMY!
So... Everyone is carrying pikes currently then?  Funny, I still see a shit-load of 2hers, polearms, shielders and so many fucking ranged players you'd think this is BF2.  Oh, I see quite a fair number of pikes/longspears/long voulges/english bills/swiss halbards lately as well, but no more than anything else when you look at the large picture of the field.

The fact that you really think that being outnumbered causing your loss is "losing all competitive edge" or the game being "ALL about numbers instead of skill" just shows a massively delusional sense of your own skill level.  I'm fucking terrible.  I have NO problem at all when two or more people gangbang me to death and I wasn't able to utilize chambering and footwork to beat them.  I also have no problem with the times that I AM able to use my skill in order to defeat those multiple opponents.

What you're talking about also applies to:
2+ ranged triangulating you
2+ shielders utilizing circling/flanking/chain stuns/opposing strikes on you
2+ 2hers utilizing circling/flanking/chain stuns/opposing strikes on you
2+ polearmers utilizing circling/flanking/chain stuns/opposing strikes on you
2+ cav utilizing circ/flanking/chain bumping you

and any combination in-between.

Fact of life and gaming:  Numbers are and SHOULD be a huge advantage and yes it does and SHOULD give two lesser skilled players a leg up on a player they wouldn't be able to kill by themselves.  IE:  When we all chain stun and butt-fuck goretooth/cyranule/manofwar/etc.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 08:00:07 am by Gorath »
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #246 on: August 25, 2011, 10:32:09 am »
I'm going to have to agree with gorath on this one.
BTW I think I also thought of a solution to the whole long spear issue. I'll make a thread about that, though.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 25, 2011, 03:21:03 pm »

If those two people kill that one more "skilled" guy by default then perhaps he isn't as fucking skilled as he imagines himself to be in his mind.   :shock:  BLASPHEMY!
So... Everyone is carrying pikes currently then?  Funny, I still see a shit-load of 2hers, polearms, shielders and so many fucking ranged players you'd think this is BF2.  Oh, I see quite a fair number of pikes/longspears/long voulges/english bills/swiss halbards lately as well, but no more than anything else when you look at the large picture of the field.

The fact that you really think that being outnumbered causing your loss is "losing all competitive edge" or the game being "ALL about numbers instead of skill" just shows a massively delusional sense of your own skill level.  I'm fucking terrible.  I have NO problem at all when two or more people gangbang me to death and I wasn't able to utilize chambering and footwork to beat them.  I also have no problem with the times that I AM able to use my skill in order to defeat those multiple opponents.

What you're talking about also applies to:
2+ ranged triangulating you
2+ shielders utilizing circling/flanking/chain stuns/opposing strikes on you
2+ 2hers utilizing circling/flanking/chain stuns/opposing strikes on you
2+ polearmers utilizing circling/flanking/chain stuns/opposing strikes on you
2+ cav utilizing circ/flanking/chain bumping you

and any combination in-between.

Fact of life and gaming:  Numbers are and SHOULD be a huge advantage and yes it does and SHOULD give two lesser skilled players a leg up on a player they wouldn't be able to kill by themselves.  IE:  When we all chain stun and butt-fuck goretooth/cyranule/manofwar/etc.

Why don't you go back and read the couple of quotes again leading to my post, yes? Your whole post is invalid because longspears do not have overhead stab.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #248 on: August 25, 2011, 04:06:39 pm »
I have to agree with the OP that long spears primarily need a fix of some sort.

As others have said I think it's primarily a mechanics issue.  You can safely overhead through teammates and bonk enemies, you can hit enemies with your overhead back-swing, and of course the silly twirl jump stab back peddle technique is surprisingly effective.

If anything needs a fix w/ long spears it is the overhead for sure, but I will say that the thrust animations and effective non-glance range is completely unintuitive to fight against and frankly is just a goofy experience in general.  Don't get me wrong there are some excellent players with the long spear in duels and I don't want this to sound like "I get killed 10% of the time in duels against long spearmen, too much NERF", but when you are right up against someone wielding a long spear and still have to be ready to downblock their thrust attack when the spear tip is about 5 feet behindyour character it becomes... dumb.

Maybe WSE will help w/ this?
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #249 on: August 25, 2011, 04:11:37 pm »
Building off Gorath.

I have no trouble fighting 2, 3 or sometimes 4 people, but when I get swamped with 8 people trying to gangbang me, it's pretty much over.

So yeah. In small numbers, skill (and luck) will get the win, but I'd like to see a powerhouse clan like CHAOS stand up to an alliance (case study; Northern Empire)

So a skilled pikeman could potentially rock house if he wanted (and not even with lolstabbing, but that works great, too).

YEAH derail comment!

But back on topic, I agree that the lolstab needs to be fixed
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #250 on: August 25, 2011, 06:25:52 pm »
Annoying stuff like overheading through teammates, and hitting friendlies behind you with overhead are the annoying parts. Maybe a slight nerf to damage could be okay, but nothing huge.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #251 on: August 31, 2011, 04:49:52 pm »
bump.

Pikes and Long Spears need a speed buff.

Discuss.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #252 on: August 31, 2011, 06:21:59 pm »
bump.

Pikes and Long Spears need a speed buff.

Discuss.

pike also needs a range buff, 3 meters is not a pike, its a pussy

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #253 on: August 31, 2011, 06:41:22 pm »
+1
pike also needs a range buff, 3 meters is not a pike, its a pussy

You have seen some profoundly fucked up pussies in your time...

My cat looks nothing like a pike!
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #254 on: August 31, 2011, 06:55:16 pm »
+1

You have seen some profoundly fucked up pussies in your time...

My cat looks nothing like a pike!

(in crappy cockney accent)
THATS NOT A PIKE.

THIS IS A PIKE.