Author Topic: Long spears aka pikes  (Read 32460 times)

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
Re: Long spears aka pikes
« Reply #225 on: August 24, 2011, 02:44:22 pm »
+1
The roles of the pikes and long spears are fine.

The hitboxes are the only thing that really need fixing.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 24, 2011, 02:52:48 pm »
In my opinion, Long Spear should be an enemy speed based weapon, this mean that it's damage should rely more on the speed bonus of the enemy that's running into you - making this weapon an excellent cav stopper and a nice infantry charge stopper. I guess just reducing damage would help that.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 24, 2011, 04:50:26 pm »
In my opinion, Long Spear should be an enemy speed based weapon, this mean that it's damage should rely more on the speed bonus of the enemy that's running into you - making this weapon an excellent cav stopper and a nice infantry charge stopper. I guess just reducing damage would help that.

Thing about this idea is that the combat dynamics and animation.

ie As a piker, I use the mentality of my opponent against them. They come at me with their weapon, so I back away, at the same time stabbing out with the pike, if they don't block, their walking speed vs my pike driving into them causes them some pretty hideous damage, given what I've seen of their reactions in duels and battles.

The stabbing animation is a lot faster in comparison  to my character backing up, on top of the fact that the other guy is running straight at me in an effort to catch my armored ass. SO they essentially spear themselves on the weapon.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #228 on: August 24, 2011, 05:15:31 pm »
Giving a overhead stab to longspears might just make them more OP, I think. That way you could instakill anyone if you have two longspears, as the other one can have an overhead stab chambered while the other one has a normal thrust chambered. Unless, of course, the overhead stab is given some other purpose than just being an up-block stab.

I'm still not seeing why 2 pikes SHOULDN'T mean veritable instant death for any solo enemy?  Overhead bonk or thrust, doesn't matter.  Why should retards be able to just hold downblock until the end of time to completely negate multiple people like they can already do with hoplites?
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #229 on: August 24, 2011, 05:17:39 pm »
All none-eunochs! Take a maul. Smaaaash pike-wielder on the head until they dont wield the pike any more.

Pike problem: SOLVED!

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 24, 2011, 05:23:57 pm »
OH GOD PLEASE, NOT MAULS!  :shock:

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #231 on: August 24, 2011, 07:01:34 pm »
Yes, and it's not a problem for other polearms most of the time because they lack the length to really abooz that.

Giving a overhead stab to longspears might just make them more OP, I think. That way you could instakill anyone if you have two longspears, as the other one can have an overhead stab chambered while the other one has a normal thrust chambered. Unless, of course, the overhead stab is given some other purpose than just being an up-block stab.

How is over head stab any different from any other weapon in the game?

But yeah, maybe not a speed nerf, but some damage taken off it would be good. Longspear does ridiculous amounts of damage when it would be good even if it did no damage and only caused your opponent to break his block.

26 pierce / 15 blunt is ridicilous??? Are you serious? You seriously want it to do 0 damage?
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 24, 2011, 07:12:37 pm »
I'm still not seeing why 2 pikes SHOULDN'T mean veritable instant death for any solo enemy?  Overhead bonk or thrust, doesn't matter.  Why should retards be able to just hold downblock until the end of time to completely negate multiple people like they can already do with hoplites?

Because it means everyone will carry pikes and the game becomes about numbers, not skill.

Who seriously wants to see a game become about numbers instead of skill? Except people without skill... and even most of those are trying to become better. Why SHOULD two people be able to kill one more skilled guy by default? What fun is there in a game that is all about having +1 player on your side? Losing all competitive edge in a game means it loses most of its players.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Deathwhisper

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 24, 2011, 07:32:21 pm »
Because it means everyone will carry pikes and the game becomes about numbers, not skill.

Who seriously wants to see a game become about numbers instead of skill? Except people without skill... and even most of those are trying to become better. Why SHOULD two people be able to kill one more skilled guy by default? What fun is there in a game that is all about having +1 player on your side? Losing all competitive edge in a game means it loses most of its players.

2 players will always win against another guy solo if they've got the same level and skill. And that's normal.

If the enemy is spamming pikes, just make your shielders charge first and not your 2hers (it should always be like this anyway). Pikes are almost useless against any good shield.
Pikers are vulnerable to shielders, maulers and ranged fire, but great against cav and 2hers / polearmers without a shield. Just learn to adapt.

The only thing to fix about pikes is their bugged hitbox (and retarded things like pikes going through walls sometimes).

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 24, 2011, 08:43:52 pm »
2 players will always win against another guy solo if they've got the same level and skill. And that's normal.

Exactly. That is my very point. This is how it should be. Hell, even two guys who are a bit worse than the one guy can beat the one guy with numbers.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 24, 2011, 08:45:33 pm »
Exactly. That is my very point. This is how it should be. Hell, even two guys who are a bit worse than the one guy can beat the one guy with numbers.

That's silly. Watch Ip Man.

Or Bruce Lee.

Or Chuck Norris.

Or Canary. 

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 24, 2011, 08:57:27 pm »
No bro, that makes no sense. Those guys were far superior, there wasn't anyone just a "bit" worse than them teaming up on 'em!
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline duurrr

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 97
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: kekeeke
« Reply #237 on: August 24, 2011, 09:07:01 pm »
Who are the items balancers?

they should try playing the game, long spears is fucking redic atm

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 24, 2011, 09:08:02 pm »
+1
No bro, that makes no sense. Those guys were far superior, there wasn't anyone just a "bit" worse than them teaming up on 'em!
I didn't know you were a fanboy of this Canary guy.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #239 on: August 24, 2011, 09:09:09 pm »
I didn't know you were a fanboy of this Canary guy.

Canary is a badass gen one cutie pie. Everyone is a fanboy for canary grinding to 35 with no xp bonus. Living proof that looms are not super needed.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.