Author Topic: Long spears aka pikes  (Read 32470 times)

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
Re: Long spears aka pikes
« Reply #210 on: August 23, 2011, 10:03:04 pm »
I think this is a better view of Pike warfare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26C758K4Fc0

It might eventually end in that way but just charging forward with pikes is pure suicide.

Also the Pike manuals do support the fighting style shown in above movie.

Hey! Who took video of the CHAOS practice session ?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #211 on: August 23, 2011, 10:39:32 pm »
Oh really? Think a bit about why it's different. Maybe it'll come to you.

Same reason why Polearms were OP in RL: length

OMG NERF PHYSICS

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 23, 2011, 11:03:46 pm »
+1
Same reason why Polearms were OP in RL: length

OMG NERF PHYSICS

OMG A PIKE CAN STAB THROUGH SOLID OBJECTS AND IT CAN STAB THROUGH FRIENDLY SOLDIERS OMG PHYSICS!

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #213 on: August 23, 2011, 11:22:02 pm »
OMG A PIKE CAN STAB THROUGH SOLID OBJECTS AND IT CAN STAB THROUGH FRIENDLY SOLDIERS OMG PHYSICS!
Just like how people can jumpstab horses and spin and do fancy stuff in the middle of the air, or how a horse can run into someone at full speed and the person only loses some health instead of being killed on the spot from the collision!

Holy crapping hell, magic is in Calradia!

Ban range.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #214 on: August 23, 2011, 11:54:30 pm »
I have yet to see a single dude overhead swing with a pike in that film. Also that battle could have easily been won with a few dudes with 10pt and rocks.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 11:57:06 pm by Spa_geh_tea »

Offline Lezard

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 9
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
« Reply #215 on: August 24, 2011, 01:37:29 am »
Hate to say it, but pikes (a.k.a longspears) are indeed OP. Nerf speed and damage (and fix hitboxes, but that's a given that won't be fixed yet).

Very convincing post, I know.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 01:38:33 am by Lezard »

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #216 on: August 24, 2011, 04:31:01 am »
All gametypes should be removed except for duel.

/summary of anti-pike/longspear/teamwork posts ITT.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Lezard

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 9
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
« Reply #217 on: August 24, 2011, 10:14:30 am »
Truth is, I often get more kills with a longspear and 1 polearm WPF than my greatsword with full WPF, and it takes much less effort. You have a 245 reach long spear to keep you out of harms way, and add some pike wiggle to confuse your enemies...

A pike can turn anyone into a killing machine. Yes, pikes may be supposed to be the ultimate support weapon, however I think it could use a speed and damage nerf and still be extremely useful. This to prevent stunlocks and far too many one- and two hits I get with the pike.

Acutally, it's rather the long spear I mostly have a problem with. The regular pike isn't as effective simply due to its slower speed, which reduces its damage "over time" and also prevent stun locks to an acceptable point.

Edit: Meh, I don't really care if they get nerfed or not, I like pikes because they add another dimension into melee fights, and I wouldn't want them nerfed into oblvion... Just posting my honest opinion.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:42:08 am by Lezard »

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 24, 2011, 11:24:44 am »
pike > longspear, just going to throw that out there for everyone. the overhand isn't worth the shorter length

also, i don't really think longspears are a huge issue, it's annoying when someone decides to break one out and poke, then five other dudes decide to do the same thing and soon the entire server is a pikefest. not really gamebreaking, though.

i think maybe longspears/pikes could do with a decrease to their "stagger" chance, otherwise they're fine
FREE ALLERS

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 24, 2011, 02:19:02 pm »
I once saw a greatsword user holding a swing, forcing his enemy to block, whilst his buddy swung from the other side. Incredible!

Indeed, that is a good example of teamwork Ptx and something that should be encouraged. Well done.

What Lezard said about pikes/longspears is spot on.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 24, 2011, 02:27:24 pm »
+1
Why is pike/long spear a support weapon? It rocks in group fights and you can fight 1v1 with it, but, unlike other weaps, you pretty much don't stand the slightest chance in a 1v2 encounter (except against total noobs), whilst with most other weapons you can still win, if you are good.
2 shielders vs 1 pikeman = 1 dead pikeman
2 shielders vs 1 greatsword user = ???

Lowering the speed would make it pretty much impossible to fight 1v1, making it a tool to stop horses and stun people, rather than a weapon that you can fight with.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 02:29:06 pm by [ptx] »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 24, 2011, 02:29:57 pm »
Pike is fine. Longspear needs something done about the overhead that goes through teammates and slightly less damage/speed, then it's fine. It would still work perfectly as a support weapon, it just wouldn't be a 1-hitting machine that has instant stabs if you're within certain range.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 24, 2011, 02:35:51 pm »
I heard that polearm overheads got replaced with overhand stabs for a moment before the hotfix? I imagine that might be one of the first things on devs agenda when we get a WSE-enabled cRPG. Until then, nothing can be done about the polearm overheads (or the bugged up polearm stab, which makes pike/long spear stabs hit where they shouldn't).
Lowering the speed by any amount will make long spear users pretty much incapable of returning attacks in melee, which they can't do a lot of the time as it is already.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 24, 2011, 02:36:48 pm »
Pike is fine. Longspear needs something done about the overhead that goes through teammates and slightly less damage/speed, then it's fine. It would still work perfectly as a support weapon, it just wouldn't be a 1-hitting machine that has instant stabs if you're within certain range.

All polearm overheads go through teammates. So it's not only longspear that needs work there.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 24, 2011, 02:37:47 pm »
All polearm overheads go through teammates. So it's not only longspear that needs work there.

Yes, and it's not a problem for other polearms most of the time because they lack the length to really abooz that.

I heard that polearm overheads got replaced with overhand stabs for a moment before the hotfix? I imagine that might be one of the first things on devs agenda when we get a WSE-enabled cRPG. Until then, nothing can be done about the polearm overheads (or the bugged up polearm stab, which makes pike/long spear stabs hit where they shouldn't).
Lowering the speed by any amount will make long spear users pretty much incapable of returning attacks in melee, which they can't do a lot of the time as it is already.

Giving a overhead stab to longspears might just make them more OP, I think. That way you could instakill anyone if you have two longspears, as the other one can have an overhead stab chambered while the other one has a normal thrust chambered. Unless, of course, the overhead stab is given some other purpose than just being an up-block stab.

But yeah, maybe not a speed nerf, but some damage taken off it would be good. Longspear does ridiculous amounts of damage when it would be good even if it did no damage and only caused your opponent to break his block.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 02:41:16 pm by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.