Author Topic: 1h shield is too difficult at the moment  (Read 18402 times)

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
Re: 1h shield is too difficult at the moment
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2011, 09:40:16 am »
+2
I play shielder with my Tavern Keeper alt, get valor all the time. Get a board shield and you too can live forever... if you play it right. Even more often I help allies get kills. Teamplay is always good.
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2011, 09:41:58 am »
+1
My last gen was shielder/piker hybrid. I don't see any problem with the classes at all, bar maybe for the fact that I was able to block with the pike. I often got hit on the side of my shield, but that was purely because I used a fast shield with small width (Knightly kite). You have to sacrifise something to get something else, and when changing to other shields from time to time, it wasn't really a problem.

Also, buff to 1H sword speed and damage and a nerf to pick/mace damage? You can't seriously mean that, right? That is the worst part of your lobbying right there. It's not like most of the 1H guys use swords already. :rolleyes:
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2011, 09:44:38 am »
+4
All the problems he mentioned are pulled out of his arse.

1. 1h is a bit too slow with shield and without (no reason to use 1h pure)
They are the fastest weapon in-game, proper 1h overheads and left-to-right sideswings are lightsaber fast, not to mention elite scimitar even.

2. At same time 1h swords lack damage power (1h - 30 dmg while 2h - 40 dmg = 4 ps difference)
They have less damage because they are 1H. Where does it say 1h should have nearly equal damage to 2h?

3. Heavy weight of shields slow you down so much that shielders get very often outmaneuvered.
Not if you know how to footwork.

4. Width of shields is too small thats why shielders get hit through the side of the shield (the model seems to be bigger)
If you know how to keep your enemy infront of your shield at all times you won't ever have a problem with this.

5. Slow game speed allow to block forever while shields have low hp and thats why are easy to break
Feint?

6. Shields cost too much thats why in strategus people use level 1-3 shields only
There are some good low price shields.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 09:49:30 am by Vibe »

Offline Everkistus

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No good deed goes unpunished
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Everkistus
  • IRC nick: Everkistus
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2011, 09:46:55 am »
+3
All the problems he mentioned are pulled out of his arse.
This

1h + Shield is fine.

Offline Karmazyn

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2011, 10:56:01 am »

They are the fastest weapon in-game, proper 1h overheads and left-to-right sideswings are lightsaber fast, not to mention elite scimitar even.

No, with shield they are slow. Second bastard sword, katana, mace, lange messer alt mod are faster or same fast, elite scimitar has 99 speed.

They have less damage because they are 1H. Where does it say 1h should have nearly equal damage to 2h?
10-12 points difference is  to much, 6-8 would be enough for the game balance. If danish would make 38 and german 37 it would not make 2h powerless.
(click to show/hide)

Not if you know how to footwork.

Not if You know how to footwork with 8 athletics.

If you know how to keep your enemy infront of your shield at all times you won't ever have a problem with this.
What is then the point to use a shield... to turtle until a friendly 2h get the kill?

Feint?

Feints of shielders are easy to block because of slow game speed or just to move out of their range.

There are some good low price shields.

Learn to quote. Im out.
Si Deus Nobiscum quis contra nos

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2011, 11:06:27 am »
+4
Holy fuck.

No, with shield they are slow. Second bastard sword, katana, mace, lange messer alt mod are faster or same fast, elite scimitar has 99 speed.

Weapon swing speed is unaffected by shields. It's the shield dropping speed BEFORE the actual weapon swing that delays the sword. Therefore get 100 speed shield and you won't suffer from it.

10-12 points difference is  to much, 6-8 would be enough for the game balance. If danish would make 38 and german 37 it would not make 2h powerless.
(click to show/hide)

No, the damage is just fine now and the game is balanced (on this part). Also stupid RL point is stupid.

Not if You know how to footwork with 8 athletics.

Then get 8 athletics yourself, for fucks sake.

What is then the point to use a shield... to turtle until a friendly 2h get the kill?

Totally out of context.

Feints of shielders are easy to block because of slow game speed or just to move out of their range.

Combined with good footwork, 1h attacks are pretty much the hardest to block.

Learn to quote. Im out.

Happy now?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:08:23 am by Vibe »

Offline Gheritarish le Loki

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2011, 12:22:42 pm »
+2
Karmazyn or you fail at lobying or you are a bad bad player...

A wise mule said one day :

Good players adapt, bad player whine.

No seriously, you are may be a good player in term of skills, but you should learn teamwork and battle mechanics, shielders are one of the best supporting class, you have plenty of smart things to do as a shielder to help your team, ofc if you want to have the best k/d then you should not choose a class that is defensive.

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2011, 12:52:03 pm »
Holy fuck.

Weapon swing speed is unaffected by shields. It's the shield dropping speed BEFORE the actual weapon swing that delays the sword. Therefore get 100 speed shield and you won't suffer from it.

Well, that is just nitpicking. Usually you have to drop your shield in a fight situation.
And shield speed has nothing to do with your swing speed. I have tested this, only weapon speed and wpf do matter.

No, the damage is just fine now and the game is balanced (on this part). Also stupid RL point is stupid.

I stick with it, the damage difference is too high.

Ok, in your exemple it was a difference of 10 damage points.
If i add an average  power stike bonus, then  it becomes to 15 more damage, with additional wpf bonus to 18 more damage and with an average speed bonus to 23 more damage for a single hit.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2011, 12:57:12 pm »
+1
Well, that is just nitpicking. Usually you have to drop your shield in a fight situation.
And shield speed has nothing to do with your swing speed. I have tested this, only weapon speed and wpf do matter.

I never said shield speed influences swing speed, I just said it reduces the delay of lowering/raising shield - which in term helps you strike back faster after blocking and block faster.

I stick with it, the damage difference is too high.

Ok, in your exemple it was a difference of 10 damage points.
If i add an average  power stike bonus, then  it becomes to 15 more damage, with additional wpf bonus to 18 more damage and with an average speed bonus to 23 more damage for a single hit.

Do 2handers get autoblock and arrow stopper? You want to have all that AND deal damage close to 2h? Okay.jpg
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 01:02:07 pm by Vibe »

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2011, 12:58:09 pm »
+3
1h trades that damage for Omniblock from the shield. Yeah you do less damage, but you can block projectiles, couches, And multiple directions all at the same time!

tbh I like playing both 1h and 2h and pole, I think they are all in a very good spot right now.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2011, 01:04:25 pm »
+3
Here are some statistics from a month ago, would be interesting to see new ones since I think there was a growth in 1h+shield population past few weeks

DID I HEAR STATISTICS TIME??????????

Eu1 last week: (12.7. to 18.7.)
One handed:         47578 (25.96%)
Two handed:        51864 (28.30%)
Polearms:         51689 (28.20%)
Bow:            13918 (7.59%)
Crossbows:          7563 (4.13%)
Thrown:          1978 (1.08%)
Headshot:          6630 (3.62%)
horsebump:     1982 (1.08%)
Others:            62 (0.03%)

The fact that 1h, 2h and polearms have roughly the same kill percentage just proves melee is now more balanced then ever.

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
Re: horsebumps and stones are too difficult at the moment
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2011, 01:16:54 pm »
I think those stats clearly show that we should be focusing on trying to get better damage for stones and horse bumps, not be whining about how bad 1h+shields are. Perhaps add in wargs that bite the heads off of everyone they hit?
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2011, 01:17:04 pm »
DID I HEAR STATISTICS TIME??????????
Others:            62 (0.03%)

Wtf???

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2011, 01:26:45 pm »
This is battle statistics. On foot 2h is dominating because we have a lot lancer and 1h cav kills. Can't find siege stats but I think 2h have a significant lead there.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2011, 01:28:02 pm »
Wtf???

That's the 62 people I punched to death.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)