Author Topic: Observations Regarding the Current State of cRPG  (Read 7578 times)

Offline Inporylem

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: EXGK_Inporylem_the_gentle
  • IRC nick: Inporylem
Re: Observations Regarding the Current State of cRPG
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 05:38:33 pm »
their ability to charge recklessly through melee fights without a worry

I liked this part

Offline Alex_C

• Knight
  • Renown: 30
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guard of Istiniar
  • Game nicks: IG_Earl_Alexander
  • IRC nick: ISPCA_Alexanger
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 05:53:36 pm »
+1
All good observations. Disagree with you on the shielder part. I could get plenty of kills when I was shielder not so long ago. Fighting 2handers with a 1h weapon is not so perilous as it seems. It just takes a little bit of patience and good timing.I could give Phyrex very good duels with my 1h weapon and if not match him toe to toe, give him a decent fight with plenty of strikes on him.(Bloody lordly armour :mad:) 3 two hander hits to 1 of your hits is untrue. Your own fault imo.

This may well be a problem with my build, or indeed a problem with being too used to Native combat mechanics, however against most two-handers who use either of those twenty-foot long light-sabers, they are able to spam me with most hits, not due to my being stunned, or indeed due to a lack of good timing on my part, or any other of the plethora of explanations offered to players new to the game.

<constructivecriticism>

Thanks.

Welcome back!Although i fail to see why ud make ur main a STF char.Also ur opinions on 1 handed seem to be off to say the least, a good 1 hander can beat the same skill 2 hander eg. Kinngrimm.

Mainly because I don't particularly like grinding, and want to have an okay character for Strategus. The thing is, I don't think it's an to do with the shield, more to do with the one-handers themselves. Once my shield has been broken, and I'm fighting a two-hander, I still need to block at least three times in order to get anywhere near them, and my hits still consistently bounce against their armour. Any kind of feinting on my side is pointless, as they'll just spam through it; holds are useful to a point, for buying time; chambers are utterly pointless since they'll always be able to dodge them.

Anywho, Alex C. Mind if I use parts of this and/or link it to my guide? This was particularly well written.

Not at all, and thanks.

Who are you sorry?

Eh, I could ask the same of you to be honest. Don't recall ever playing with you.

I mean, underpowered? heck no. 2 of those damned lolskarl turtles facehug you and it's over.

Err... two competent members of most classes against you and you're probably dead as well.

Also, they have protection from ranged, don't have to manual block, get fast, and hard hitting, let alone derp weapons like the scimitar and the picks, etc.

Protection from ranged is a biggy, fair enough. Not having to manual block isn't, it's not like manual blocking's hard. I've seen far fewer silly one-handers than I have silly two-handers. =p

And yeah, go to hell with the "omg 1h is short" crap. With a shield like Huscarl, the hell cares about length? They facehug 24/7 anyway.

So this "omg short range q_q" is even an advantage, because 1h has the tendency to headhit from all sides the most, from what I've experienced.

I already said that the problem with one-handers lies not in their being underpowered, but in two-handers being over-powered.

But honestly, +1 to this thread. Best stealth 1h+shield lobby I've ever seen.
TBH shielders are powerful in 1v1, they aren't underpowered. If I didn't enjoy manual blocking so much, I'd play my shielders more since I influence victory more with them.

Not really stealth, anything I've tried to point out is written quite clearly there. I see one-handers as being relatively under-powered in most circumstances, thus I wrote that.

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 06:15:44 pm »
+1
A well thought out and well written post Alexander.

I agree with all the points you made.  I think the real problem is that 2h and polearms can be swung too quickly and with too many repetitions.  Pole arms or heavy hammers/swords should not be able to swing with the same speed as a 1h weapon.  Pole arms were meant to be used en-masse against horses and mounted knights.  They were not used in 1 on 1 combat as most often happens in the game.

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 06:27:59 pm »
If you use the right equipment and have some skill with 1h+shield it's an extremly deadly class. You won't get ridiculous scores like MW great sword-swingers do, but you can play an essential role in battle and be one of the top players. The price is more upkeep, the range disadvantage and the bouncing, even with 6+ PS. Besides that it's lot of fun to play this class. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 06:48:12 pm »
+1
If you use the right equipment and have some skill with 1h+shield it's an extremly deadly class. You won't get ridiculous scores like MW great sword-swingers do, but you can play an essential role in battle and be one of the top players. The price is more upkeep, the range disadvantage and the bouncing, even with 6+ PS. Besides that it's lot of fun to play this class.

That is kind of his point, it can still be an extremely deadly class, but then why do 2 handers and polearms perform even better at a very noticeable rate?
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Kato

• Count
  • Renown: 227
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 06:56:42 pm »
+2
For me (average player) are very good 1h far more scary than very good 2h when i meet them on battlefield. I was turtle 1 generation and after few hours on duel server it was easy mod(3:1 kd ratio on level 30 regulary).

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 07:39:12 pm »
+1
That is kind of his point, it can still be an extremely deadly class, but then why do 2 handers and polearms perform even better at a very noticeable rate?
Well, with a 2h sword you need 2 or 3 hits to kill most people, with a 1h sword you need up to 10+ hits for a heavy armored opponent, with MW Spamitar or axes it's a little less work though. So when you kill one enemy, someone with a MW Danish can kill 3 or 4 people in the same time, just because he has a higher killspeed. 

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 07:39:50 pm »
+1
Well, with a 2h sword you need 2 or 3 hits to kill most people, with a 1h sword you need up to 10+ hits for a heavy armored opponent, with MW Spamitar or axes it's a little less work though. So when you kill one enemy, someone with a MW Danish can kill 3 or 4 people in the same time, just because he has a higher killspeed.

Exaggerating a bit?

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 07:46:17 pm »
+1
Exaggerating a bit?
Yes he is, unless his build is 9/30 or something like that.

Offline Delro

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • Taking Arrows To The Face Since 2008
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS
  • Game nicks: Delro_ATS
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 07:48:11 pm »
+1
Heavy Warhammer kills platers in about 2 hits. If the first hit scores a knockdown, it's over.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2011, 07:48:36 pm »
+1

Yep, usually I can go down from 2 or 3 1hander hits. Dunno what this guy is talking about.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2011, 08:13:10 pm »
18 STR, 6 PS, 128 wfp, weapon is side sword. I didn't say it happens always, but with a non-heirloomed sword with "low" cutting damage it can happen against transitional or higher. 

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2011, 08:16:07 pm »
For me (average player) are very good 1h far more scary than very good 2h when i meet them on battlefield. I was turtle 1 generation and after few hours on duel server it was easy mod(3:1 kd ratio on level 30 regulary).

Depends on who you duel.

When I go to the duelserver, I often sport a very negative kd ratio. Mostly because I only duel people better than I am and I won't stop until I've beaten them at least once.

Anyway, recently respecced into my trusty class the 1h/shielder again and for me it's about equal to 2h/pole. I have no trouble dueling 2h/pole, there's just a few important rules to follow.
The most important:
When a 2h does his right to left swing, they will follow up with a left to right swing while running past you on your right side. DO NOT TRY TO ATTACK, you will get hit first. In that case, you have to block twice and then you can counter attack.

Anyway, the part in your observations I didn't agree with was the thrower part.
It can take well over 5 axes to kill someone depending on their armour and the higher tier throwing weapons are in too short supply compared to the amount needed to kill a man.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Baggy

• Count
  • Renown: 199
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player
  • Sup brah
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Baggy _Potato Blight_ Famine Emigration
  • IRC nick: Baggy
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2011, 08:17:36 pm »
18 STR, 6 PS, 128 wfp, weapon is side sword. I didn't say it happens always, but with a non-heirloomed sword with "low" cutting damage it can happen against transitional or higher. 
Your using a side sword what do you expect, you trade dmg for speed.

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • Renown: 424
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Murmillus_Prime
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2011, 08:22:01 pm »
+1
I've been playing cRPG on-and-off since the times when the server had to be restarted every half-hour; many things have changed since then, almost entirely for the better. I’ve just recently started playing again, after stopping playing in around November or December. Since then, there have been many patches, and a lot has changed. Back before I stopped playing, my main character was a two-hander without a shield, I can’t remember the exact stats as I’ve since over-written that character, but it had roughly balanced attributes and the like. My main now is a Skip The Fun character, with two sets of Heavy Throwing Axes, a Military Cleaver and a Heavy Round Shield; I also have relatively good armour, Ragged Outfit, Footman’s Helmet, Leather Gloves and Light Leather Boots. I also have a levelling alternate character, who uses a two-hander.

Levelling:

Yes

Archers:

Yes

Cavalry:

No

Throwing:

Yes

Sword&Board:

No
Dumbfuck.Fuckwit.Cuntshit.Brickfuck.