Author Topic: Observations Regarding the Current State of cRPG  (Read 7567 times)

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
Re: Observations Regarding the Current State of cRPG
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2011, 08:23:04 pm »
+1
I take 3 hits in general to kill most people with my elite scimi.

I'd say I agree on 2hander cav being less good, but it's because of the stats, not because a lack of variety in weapons.

No opinion on lancer cav at all? And polearms?
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2011, 08:28:07 pm »
+1
Your using a side sword what do you expect, you trade dmg for speed.
And thrust damage. :D I was talking about swings, not stabs. Stab is deadly against heavy armor, but you can't stab everyone all the time with a sword (cause it's kinda easy to block), so you still have to swing a lot. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Zoidberg

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • Awesome Bar: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2011, 08:33:38 pm »
+1
BTW:Welcome back Alex!
Sorry for my bad English.

Offline VVarlord

• Count
  • Renown: 176
  • Infamy: 86
  • cRPG Player
  • Simmer down and pucker up
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Waylander
  • Game nicks: Waylander_VVar
  • IRC nick: Boldkorn
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2011, 08:42:08 pm »
Wasnt trying to be funny and genuinely dont know who alex is.  :rolleyes:

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2011, 08:42:42 pm »
+1

He is the I.S.P.C.A. President.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline VVarlord

• Count
  • Renown: 176
  • Infamy: 86
  • cRPG Player
  • Simmer down and pucker up
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Waylander
  • Game nicks: Waylander_VVar
  • IRC nick: Boldkorn
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2011, 08:44:44 pm »

.....   :cry:

Offline Alex_C

• Knight
  • Renown: 30
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guard of Istiniar
  • Game nicks: IG_Earl_Alexander
  • IRC nick: ISPCA_Alexanger
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2011, 12:00:58 am »
+1
I'd say I agree on 2hander cav being less good, but it's because of the stats, not because a lack of variety in weapons.

I don't know much about the stats, or what it's like to play as two-hander cavalry these days. I had a Morningstar and Courser (or whatever it's called now) build a very long time ago, but I'd imagine it's very different now.

My comment about the variety of weapons available wasn't really about balance, more just that it's a pity that one really doesn't see that many different 'types' of cavalry around these days.

No opinion on lancer cav at all? And polearms?

I really like what's been done with the dropping of lances (I believe this applies to pikes as well?) when one changes away from them, as it means that lance cavalry can't easily have a back-up sword or the like to use from horseback. Lancers seem to be becoming more and more what they should be in my opinion, cavalry used to tackle other cavalry, and the anti-footman work is being left for one-handers, or two-handers. From what I've seen of them, they seem pretty balanced in their current state, although I've never played as a lancer in cRPG, so I might not be the best person to ask.

Polearms in general seem like a watered-down version of two-handers, with the same disadvantages, but not really with so many advantages. Pikes however seem like a far more viable class than they've ever been before (and possibly too viable). I remember [ptx] being one of the few pikemen around, and he was forced most of the time to use the awlpike, and even then in one-on-one fights, he was at a severe disadvantage. Now it seems that anyone can grab one of the longer pikes, and use it without too many problems in both one-on-ones and as a support weapon. From what I've seen, this seems mostly to be a problem with their speed, although it could be something else.

BTW:Welcome back Alex!

Thanks!

And I don't really know who VVarlord is, must have come from different eras of cRPG.

__
         │〓.│
      ━━━━━
      ミ ´_>`)

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2011, 12:07:46 am »
Was just curious since I remember you using the Glaive a lot, along with Sawa. Welcome back mate, if you plan on playing.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline BD_SUPERBEAST

• Knight
  • Renown: 33
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Warpigs_BD_Superbeast
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2011, 01:10:02 am »
Welcome back again!!!   :D :D

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2011, 01:19:51 am »
biased, I like how you say

"as a shielder you don't even worry about archers" and "2handers have no place on battle" "1hers are too weak against 2h's"

=derp, why not recoginze the advantage vs ranged 1hers have, that means something, not just oh we're immune to archers but NO FAIR can't kill 2hs (while also acknowledging 2h's get slaughtered by archers)

lol
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline Alex_C

• Knight
  • Renown: 30
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guard of Istiniar
  • Game nicks: IG_Earl_Alexander
  • IRC nick: ISPCA_Alexanger
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2011, 01:42:49 am »
Was just curious since I remember you using the Glaive a lot, along with Sawa. Welcome back mate, if you plan on playing.

Ah yah, good ol' Sawa. =3

Welcome back again!!!   :D :D

Thanks. =D

biased, I like how you say

"as a shielder you don't even worry about archers" and "2handers have no place on battle" "1hers are too weak against 2h's"

=derp, why not recoginze the advantage vs ranged 1hers have, that means something, not just oh we're immune to archers but NO FAIR can't kill 2hs (while also acknowledging 2h's get slaughtered by archers)

lol

I like how you say

"All 1her users should be banned"

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
  • Game nicks: Pit
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2011, 02:16:40 am »
+1
First off,
there is a lot of whining going on in this thread that should probably just be posted Here instead.

Second,
The scoreboard should NOT and will never be an indicator of whether or not certain classes are Balanced.  Every class in this game has a very distinct role to play.  For example:

(click to show/hide)

there are many many variations, and everyone has a role to play.  But just because you see 2H or Pole at the top a lot, does not mean that the class is not balanced.  There are a lot of variables that have to be taken into account about the makeup of each team, and how willing the other classes are in participating in face to face combat.
"Scissors needs a nerf because he beats me every time, but rock is just fine" - paper

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2011, 02:32:25 am »
I think the game is as balanced as it's ever been. As a one-hander, I believe I contribute to the battle in other ways other than racking up kills. You've got to view it as a support class, honestly, though the strength shielder can be quite deadly if he's used to the nuances of fighting with a shield. I've always had timing issues using a shield compared to manual blocking, but I'm sure it's merely a matter of what you're most comfortable doing.

Soaking up hits for your big strength two-hander/polearm friend is always useful, as is forcing the enemy team to look at you when it's your team mates they should be worried about.

As the poster above wisely indicated, a lot of it is about team composition. Despite the fact that two-handers do a lot of killing in standard cRPG battles, I believe they're currently the most useless class in organized scrims. Give me a team of shielders, polearm users, and crossbowmen and I'd be one happy player.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 02:35:14 am by Kalam »

Offline Classical

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 133
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2011, 02:57:21 am »
:words:

You forgot something, and with community being in large part a major aspect of multiplayer development with any due course of a game designed for "multiple players" on at a simultaneous point, especially one that relies on the emphasis of forming player factions to vie and control a database based battlefield, in comparison to the original single player. So let's continue, because this will be the last time I'm ever going to rant about this, after about five hours today already gone.

Community:
The state of this modifications community development is hardly noticeable if not, non-existent. The lead developer and the founder of the modification "chadz", shows absolute neglect towards communal development aspects of the said mod. The modification, being based as an online modification and made for the use of multiple people, and sole purpose of offering progression in the multiplayer matches in M&B:WB will attract players to it being the veteran or first of it's kind. People flocked to this game and formed a community like a scab forms around a cut or scrape. This community formed entirely by the ideals that people would simply adapt and flock to the modification, and was assumed due to the fact players are needed to continue development and test development cycles at all within the modification. The summary of the paragraph can be condensed into: this mod is not developed for you, it's developed for the developer. That statement alone can easily show lack of communal development, complete apathy for said development, or even the ideals of not caring, even though community development in any online game that builds more than one players into groups or factions is needed and almost required for succession of the mod and further development into new and bold territories.

We can say boldly that this mod is not developed "professionally", but with the amount of time gone into the coding scripting, graphical designs, web design and mastery, and basic database/server maintenance, this mod is being developed. As a child I had to learn my ABC's and learn them well, from here I progressed to spelling words, and the like, basic logic. Just as a multiplayer game must form a community to continue development, it must manage it, form it, shape it, maintain it, and continue. The state of this current community is an unmoderated wasteland, kept far from the reaches and eyes of the lead developer due to the fact of complete and total indifference and apathy on the subject. Currently the state of the community is divided into two sectors: European, and North American.

The European community was the first formed and is the native of the lead developer, it received the most attention basically due to the fact it formed fastest, and first and foremost it was first. This is assumed on my part, history does not concern me, you can clearly tell that the formation of the European community received favoritism later in it's lifespan as the North American community joined in at a later or similar date, due to the native land of our apathetic said lead developer: "chadz". The European community has developed, and been semi-developed well and been watched and worked with by multiple developers on multiple innings and cycles of this mods lifespan. If there was any sign of community management, it would be the EU community, stable, and still standing, we have the EU community.

The North American community is a joke, it formed like said earlier, "Like a scab forms around a cut or scrape", it just formed. It received massive neglect and complete indifference and some dislike from the development team, in fact one of the developers shows irrational and illogical dislike towards management of the North American community. The history of the North American community, I am not clear on and will not attempt to reciprocate the history in anyway due to the communities founding members showing strong signs of arrogance for "what they did", which was simply exist. Currently, after almost a year of development the North American community recieved it's first set of "Official Servers". What this term means is that chadz will recieve less dramatic posts and threads directed towards him about the North American community, and he can resume his development and continue full neglect and apathy towards the NA side of the commmunity the community has a set of servers that is officially endorsed and run by the lead developers, development team, despite it taking an unknown member of the community with a particularly bad reputation to even make the offer of hosting these servers as any future effort put into hosting official servers for this side of the community was not an option. However, it's clear (And confirmed) that this was just some sort of social play to decrease tensions between the North American community and the European community, and settle down any dramatic happenings that would have been caused by the community. The NA community still remains in a state of neglect, disarray, and once again for the tenth time: total apathy.

For all intensive purposes the community development of this game is terrible, the North American sector development is even worse, despite how easy it is to manage and figure out, it probably would cause mass labour to attempt repairs on the state of the community. In all honesty the neglect, indifference, and lack of any care for the community development aspects of this mod is truly pathetic.

The too long didn't read aspects of this thread are basically: chadz developed this mod for himself, you're just along for the ride.

As a personal statement from me, inching away from logic and rationale for one second I have to say, truly I hope your not a community manager if you ever take that job at TaleWorlds "chadz".

This is my take on the community aspects in the "State of cRPG", and this is my giving my honest, drunk, opinion.

P.S. I don't want to be friends.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 03:02:43 am by Classical »

Offline Classical

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 133
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2011, 03:46:18 am »
In other news, Goons ruin legitimate discussion and bad developers who neglect everything community related keep going on their not-caring ways!

Apathy is our word of the day.