Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 12763 times)

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
Re: Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2011, 09:55:16 pm »
+2
Well you're free to try and play your Fortress as a candy and gumdrops fairyland if you like. When the last dwarf gets chopped to pieces by invading goblins, imagine me saying "I told you so".
Anyways, if you want to get really fascist, I also have a state-sponsored breeding program to create super soldier. It mostly entails separating the child from the mother and chucking him in a 1x1 pit filled with dogs and cats, all burrowed on that one tile along with a stack of masterwork roasts for food, meaning they constantly attack each other. So far the kids all have good fighting/dodging, are covered in scars and "don't really care about anything anymore". I took the idea straight from the forums so I can't take credit for the sickness of it XD.

Oh and the vast majority of my dwarves live in disgusting opulence. At least 3x3 rooms for singles, 5x5 rooms with 3x3 dining rooms for families. Bunch of gold furniture, engraved walls, etc.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 09:56:39 pm by Oberyn »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2011, 11:17:22 pm »
Well you're free to try and play your Fortress as a candy and gumdrops fairyland if you like. When the last dwarf gets chopped to pieces by invading goblins, imagine me saying "I told you so".
Anyways, if you want to get really fascist, I also have a state-sponsored breeding program to create super soldier. It mostly entails separating the child from the mother and chucking him in a 1x1 pit filled with dogs and cats, all burrowed on that one tile along with a stack of masterwork roasts for food, meaning they constantly attack each other. So far the kids all have good fighting/dodging, are covered in scars and "don't really care about anything anymore". I took the idea straight from the forums so I can't take credit for the sickness of it XD.

Oh and the vast majority of my dwarves live in disgusting opulence. At least 3x3 rooms for singles, 5x5 rooms with 3x3 dining rooms for families. Bunch of gold furniture, engraved walls, etc.

i did the exploit where i built a danger room filled with upright spikes of training spears attached to a lever. Man i got bored of watching my dwarves kill everything so now i'm building a magma bomb orbital platform.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2011, 11:41:56 pm »
+1
Yeh the danger rooms are just exploity. No fun. And anyways they're not super soldiers per say cause still susceptible to tantruming. Then you have a potentially insane killing machine let loose inside your fort, which probably will trigger the other killing machines into madness, end fort. Soldiers are alrdy the most likely to tantrum, especially if you keep em training constantly throughout the year, which gives a "was furious about long patrol duty recently" line always present. If they socialized a lot and have many friends, and a few of em happen to die in a digging collapse...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 11:46:18 pm by Oberyn »

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2011, 12:07:17 am »
Yeh the danger rooms are just exploity. No fun. And anyways they're not super soldiers per say cause still susceptible to tantruming. Then you have a potentially insane killing machine let loose inside your fort, which probably will trigger the other killing machines into madness, end fort. Soldiers are alrdy the most likely to tantrum, especially if you keep em training constantly throughout the year, which gives a "was furious about long patrol duty recently" line always present. If they socialized a lot and have many friends, and a few of em happen to die in a digging collapse...

surprisingly enough, the 9 remaining dwarves left in my fortress are soldiers. Dwarves who reach adept level of weapon or higher do not get an unhappy thought at long patrols. So i can have these dwarves train 24/7 without any of them being unhappy. Also, because they're full time soldiers they don't socialize at all, so most were not suceptable to the tantrum spiral that occured.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2011, 12:43:34 am »
Also, I almost never use a meeting room these days. As a result most of my dwarves have no friends, passing aquaintances at best. If you get unlucky and some popular "I'm friends with everyone" dwarf happens to die at the wrong time it's usually tantrum spiral for the entire fort.

Yeah, I never used meeting rooms after my first fortress, seemed to cause me more problems than they solved.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2011, 05:16:11 pm »
Dwarf Fortress sounds awesome.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2011, 06:33:19 pm »
+1
Dwarf Fortress sounds awesome.

That's because it is awesome. Complexity of this game will make your head explode. I always enjoyed such games.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2011, 08:10:22 pm »
+1
Try Aurora.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2011, 12:58:02 am »
That looks interesting as fuck, but just reading the first few tutorial sections on the forums already discouraged me.

Offline isatis

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ink+water showing their true potential!
    • View Profile
    • le Clan des Cochons!
  • Faction: Le clan des Cochons!!
  • Game nicks: Cochon_Furtif_Isatis
  • IRC nick: Isatis
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2011, 04:09:53 pm »
+1
I feel bad: I got my first game over after one of my dwarf go berserk and kill my farmer making all my dwarf die in starvation because i mistraducted the word vermin...
now i'm stuck with ambushing cougar, and I ordered my squad to kill them: they kill poor fisherman instead... some of my dwarf get on ice on winter and drowned after spring...

this game is fun

but, am I bad or dwarf are just complete child?
So the new response to ranged ragers is not "get a shield", it is "learn to chamber ranged nub!"

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2011, 04:26:07 pm »
+3
Learning curve is pretty hardcore. Failing is pretty much the goal of any fortress anyways. You just have to make it as epic as possible. You could make a fortress completely sealed off from the caverns and the outside world and make it last until FPS death, but that's just boring. Trying to weave some kind of narrative into your fort is always good. I'll usually rename every dwarf once they are part of a family with at least one kid, and arrange the fortress by "clans".
Goal is whatever you set for yourself really. Just "surviving" is a pretty poor goal once you've got the hang of the mechanics, but a good one for a beginner. For people who know the game megaprojects or !science! is the most common goal. Building a giant obsidian cast tower in the caverns, an above ground castle, a steppe pyramid temple made of gold over a volcano's caldera, a giant sphere made out of green glass, lay down traps onthe bottom of the sea to capture sharks and toss captives in your evil-lair shark tank, etc... That's also part of the narrative you create for the game I guess.

Oh and this is how I first found out about DF: http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 04:31:35 pm by Oberyn »

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2011, 04:32:14 pm »
That's because it is awesome. Complexity of this game will make your head explode. I always enjoyed such games.

I once started up Dwarf fortress.The first two minutesI was confused.Then I Started crying and formatted my harddrive.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline isatis

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ink+water showing their true potential!
    • View Profile
    • le Clan des Cochons!
  • Faction: Le clan des Cochons!!
  • Game nicks: Cochon_Furtif_Isatis
  • IRC nick: Isatis
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2011, 04:06:50 am »
+1
oh no... I locked my only miner dwarf into earth because I mixed up ramp and stairway... (I wanted to go into earth and on last time I placed upway ramp instead of upway stairway) now my miner locked, lonely and I think he will be lost because my rescue mission won't work as other dwarf don't want to mine stair! poor little dwarf... Uvash Romekmafol is his name... now he is stuck in mother earth with nothing to enjoy... why? why? gonna have to make a book for his memory! as i'm french it will be called «Quelques arpents de folie, Singulière histoire d'un mineur nain» wich could be translated by: ''Some acre of madness, a compelling dwarf miner tale''

ohh poor dwarf if only I could save you!

I love this game, gimme alot of inspiration for my writing... ohhh... could make a book out of it! omg... finally I won't have to found name of people (i'm terribad at this) hummmm... pretty awesome idea...
So the new response to ranged ragers is not "get a shield", it is "learn to chamber ranged nub!"

Offline Templar_Ratigan

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2011, 06:59:59 pm »

I agree, I could never get the hang of Dwarf Fortress myself, but that's mainly because I rarely have the time to just sit down and mess about with it these days.

However fortunately, there are a large number of other people who are much more committed/have less responsibilities, (not that I believe this to be a bad thing), and who produce these hilarious narratives about the goings on in their fortresses. Besides I could never compete with the hilarity of some of them, maybe one day ill have the time, perhaps when I retire.
He reached for his pants and grabbed the cheese, missing the bees whose honey he needs.

Offline Gloin

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Gloin_Ironhammer
  • IRC nick: Gloin
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2011, 07:12:20 pm »
+1
Ehm someone made castle for me?