Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 12697 times)

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
Re: Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 07:50:37 am »
On the other hand, that weapon will rape any enemy :D . If I had to guess, I'd say a spear like that would do about 10-16 times the damage compared to a normal quality iron spear. :P

I have had multiple weapons like that at once and there will always be something out there that can kill the guys using them in the most random, unsuspected and sometimes embaressing ways, that's why DF is so fun.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 12:47:44 am »
one of my dwarves just froze to death mining a pond 2x2 squares wide, lulz.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 01:58:02 am »
For pasture just use the zone? I haven't had any problems with it wether indoors or outdoors. Although I have noticed sometimes one of the pastured animals will try to make a break for it and start running all over the place and a dwarf will automatically be dispatched to put him back in the pasture.
I got tired of having to mantain grazing herds above ground on one of my forts so just dug a huge indoor garden, breached the caverns and waited for the grass/fungus to grow everywhere before moving the whole operation there (was mostly a test fort to see which animal would be best as far as food and wool source for textile industry).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Count_Curtis

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • There's no cure for being a cunt
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Captain_Ludd / Curtis
  • IRC nick: Curtis
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 06:38:14 pm »
Ok why is my god damn blacksmith chasing everyone out of the fortress?!!?!!!

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 08:04:35 pm »
For pasture just use the zone? I haven't had any problems with it wether indoors or outdoors. Although I have noticed sometimes one of the pastured animals will try to make a break for it and start running all over the place and a dwarf will automatically be dispatched to put him back in the pasture.
I got tired of having to mantain grazing herds above ground on one of my forts so just dug a huge indoor garden, breached the caverns and waited for the grass/fungus to grow everywhere before moving the whole operation there (was mostly a test fort to see which animal would be best as far as food and wool source for textile industry).

i do, but the problem is that these dumb dwarves have pets and i don't want these pet horses to die of starvation and cause an unhappy thought, so i pasture them outside.

But then a seige arrives with +30 or so goblins and trolls and slaughters the pets, luring the dwarves outside to get slaughtered even more.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 08:30:19 pm »
....Use burrows and alarms. The classic 1 dwarf gets stucks outside, dies, then every single dwarf in the fortress rushes out to grab his socks is something I only experienced once before I decided to learn how to use them. Also yes, slaughter all pets that you didn't personally assign. As long as it doesn't push them over the edge one bad thought from pet death is easily countered.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 08:31:24 pm by Oberyn »

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 01:33:10 pm »
I watched a video where a guy just kept on strangling shit with his jaguar turban?
Just a soldier

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 05:47:17 pm »
....Use burrows and alarms. The classic 1 dwarf gets stucks outside, dies, then every single dwarf in the fortress rushes out to grab his socks is something I only experienced once before I decided to learn how to use them. Also yes, slaughter all pets that you didn't personally assign. As long as it doesn't push them over the edge one bad thought from pet death is easily countered.

how do you use alarms? i've been using burrows but adding those assholes manually is a pain in the ass and i'd rather see them die than micromanage  :lol:

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 06:46:37 pm »
lol just killed my miners in an intentional cavein, now my entire fortress is tantruming.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 09:39:53 pm »
(M)ilitary, (A)larms. Just create a new alarm and set it to use whatever burrow you want.

"Civilian Alerts
Normally, you need to add citizens to a burrow manually when defining it to have them respect the boundaries. But there is another way. Burrows can be added to alerts in the military alerts screen. When you set the civilian alert level to an alert including a defined burrow, all non military dwarves will be restricted to that burrow for as long as the alert is in place."

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2011, 09:42:31 pm »
aka bomb shelter

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2011, 09:46:03 pm »
Also, I almost never use a meeting room these days. As a result most of my dwarves have no friends, passing aquaintances at best. If you get unlucky and some popular "I'm friends with everyone" dwarf happens to die at the wrong time it's usually tantrum spiral for the entire fort.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2011, 09:47:58 pm »
+1
You only allow state-assigned pets, you discourage friendship amongst your citizens, they constantly live in fear, running to bomb shelters often... 1984 much, Oberyn?  :shock:

Offline Krakatit

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Krakatit
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2011, 09:49:00 pm »
Also, I almost never use a meeting room these days. As a result most of my dwarves have no friends, passing aquaintances at best. If you get unlucky and some popular "I'm friends with everyone" dwarf happens to die at the wrong time it's usually tantrum spiral for the entire fort.

robot fortress eh? :)

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2011, 09:55:08 pm »
+1
In my fortresses every dwarf gets a 2x2 bedroom with chest and cabinet as well as his own dinner table+chair in the big eating hall(s). Starter dwarfs and valueable individuals get a 3x3 bed room. Don't see the point of being as much as an asshole as possible to your dwarves.