Author Topic: The upkeep problem: My perspective as far as new players are concerned.  (Read 7132 times)

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
+1
Those skills you get on duel server are keyfactors cause then you know when you can hit your enemy without allowing him to hit you.
It gives you timing and also footwork which is more important in siege then blocking. That may be true.

Actually i cant see that problem with upkeep. I have fairly high equip and i can still earn money.
Some people always say it was easier back then but you had to spend a lot more time last year
to get your first good equip and you were far more a peasant then today.

Offline Goretooth

• Duke
  • Renown: 634
  • Infamy: 237
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
+1
upkeep is still low make it bigger.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Braeden - Clanless maybe? or Free Peasant not sure - Rarely plays, plus might be retarded
Tydeus - Nord EU Scum - Hates adminning

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
This endless upkeep whine is silly. You can wear gear for 25k and still earn money. You don't NEED better gear. It's nice to have sometimes but you don't NEED it. I wear gear worth 29k and I'm neither making nor losing money. Just wear cheaper stuff. My melee char with cheap ass gear regularly tops the boards.

Gear is simply not that important as people seem to think. Wear cheapar shit, learn to play well and you will get money.

A money wipe would do nothing. Grinders will grind, always has always will. Just cause your cruising around in fullplate on a charger does not mean your a good player. Hell it's probably the opposite.
Monkeys!

Offline Mithus

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
I liked the changes made to the upkeep, i didnt like the nerf to cavalary, like the 40o attack range,  with that was already tough to be a cavalary man, with all people on ground with spears and etc..
With those changes to upkeep, it is harder for a casual gamer and not that skilled be a cavalary man.

- First you will be need grind gold in peasant gear for some couple of hours, to play 1 hour of the so fun cavalary build. They are bringing the darkfall online worst grind ever made to the mod :P

However I apreciate the hard work of dev team to cRPG.

ps. it was nerfed lance on cavalary, but what about all those guys fighting with big polearms against one-handed and two handeds, nobody in real life would fight againts a two-handed with a stick in close combat without get his spear broke by the weapon of the enemy. Raise the maitance to big polearms, they should break every round!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 01:15:41 pm by Mithus »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
ps. it was nerfed lance on cavalary, but what about all those guys fighting with big polearms against one-handed and two handeds, nobody in real life would fight againts a two-handed with a stick in close combat without get his spear broke by the weapon of the enemy. Raise the maitance to big polearms, they should break every round!

Don't make a suggestion that has no regard to game balance... Game Balance takes precedence over everything else... Realism is fine only if tempered with playability.  *Points to the name of the Forum*
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Mithus

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Don't make a suggestion that has no regard to game balance... Game Balance takes precedence over everything else... Realism is fine only if tempered with playability.  *Points to the name of the Forum*

IMO, i said that because one of the arguments of lance nerf on horses was the realism. :D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 06:45:54 pm by Mithus »

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
+2
People aren't complaining that they can't wear top gear because they want to live, they want to wear it to look cool. chadz, when he started this, said something like wanting everyone to play the way they wanted to with the equipment they wanted. It's also called cRPG, not cRPGbutonlywithinthelimitssetbyupkeep.
I don't want to wear heavy armour to live longer or get an advantage, I just want to look cool :(

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
+2
People aren't complaining that they can't wear top gear because they want to live, they want to wear it to look cool. chadz, when he started this, said something like wanting everyone to play the way they wanted to with the equipment they wanted. It's also called cRPG, not cRPGbutonlywithinthelimitssetbyupkeep.
I don't want to wear heavy armour to live longer or get an advantage, I just want to look cool :(

Yeah that's what told the peasant to the knight, and the knight said "get some gold you peasant!!"

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
+1

Yeah exactly, love the plate armor style.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Draulius

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 77
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: The upkeep problem: My perspective as far as new players are concerned.
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 05:49:05 am »
+1
I think Upkeep should be removed or altered greatly. In it's current state, it does not belong in the game, it's just a flawed and imbalanced feature. It makes matches frustrating, losing & dying not fun, and it makes this game all about luck (whether or not you get the better team, flip a coin. i'm forced to leave matches otherwise). I just can't play anymore because of this, it's not entertaining nor does it improve my gaming experience. I don't want to downgrade or lose my gear just because I put time into into the game, and kept fighting even though I was losing, in fact I should be rewarded for that. We don't deserve this garbage, there's plenty of better alternatives. It's such a chore.

Advancing my character should be fun, but instead it's difficult and hardly possible. I shouldn't have to save my money through 4 generations to be able to even bankroll a full plate armor set. THAT ISN'T FUN, who the heck thought this was a good idea? Remember when C-RPG was laid back and enjoyable? Now we have to put up with this and it ruins the game for many! Trust me, I really tried to get into C-RPG and tolerate this but I can't anymore. This is the reason I quit months ago, and it still remains! Ridiculous.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:05:48 am by Draulius »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 06:13:07 am »
People also remember taking forever to level up from being a peasant, and even with upkeep you have better gear then native where you have to win five billion times in a row in order to use top gear.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Draulius

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011, 06:40:14 am »
People also remember taking forever to level up from being a peasant, and even with upkeep you have better gear then native where you have to win five billion times in a row in order to use top gear.
Native doesn't have repair bills. It's irrelevant. In all the time I've had my current price range of gear in C_RPG I could have full black armor in native.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 06:45:32 am »
Native doesn't have repair bills. It's irrelevant. In all the time I've had my current price range of gear in C_RPG I could have full black armor in native.

Last I checked in native, if I exit a server and join back in, I start over from scratch for my budget... When I think of how many hours I have sunk into native to "grind" for a higher budget... that stacks up...

Offline Draulius

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 07:00:48 am »
Last I checked in native, if I exit a server and join back in, I start over from scratch for my budget... When I think of how many hours I have sunk into native to "grind" for a higher budget... that stacks up...
It's entirely different in native and the two can't compare. But it's a lot harder in C-RPG to maintain full plate. It takes thousands of gold out of you, while in Native it takes only a bit of time. and you don't lose as much gold per match. I can't believe you're still trying to compare these two entirely different systems.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 07:18:18 am »
It's entirely different in native and the two can't compare. But it's a lot harder in C-RPG to maintain full plate. It takes thousands of gold out of you, while in Native it takes only a bit of time. and you don't lose as much gold per match. I can't believe you're still trying to compare these two entirely different systems.

I am comparing because people complain it takes while to get high end gear, despite the fact that with the current c-rpg you can replicate an identical load out for a swadian knight and sustain it indefinetly... For the TIME invested, c-rpg still pulls out ahead, so someone who wants to be an expensive knight in shining armour would have an easier time in c-rpg then in Native where they can only play their "fantasy" for short bursts of time (where as c-rpg you can do it forever once you get to that level, and never have to back down).

I really don't get it.

The only stuff that you can not use 24/7 is the best gear and that is deliberate as it is... the best gear... kinda normal, really... That is what makes it so special...

You can make money and wear low end stuff, make almost no money in the long run and wear mid-range, or lose money and wear the best... I see nothing wrong with this system.