Author Topic: The upkeep problem: My perspective as far as new players are concerned.  (Read 7092 times)

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
Re: The upkeep problem: My perspective as far as new players are concerned.
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2011, 08:40:33 pm »
meh ...
Older players have no problem with upkeep (if you do do not invest without parental guidance), newer players get the shaft.

Make roughly 100-150k a gen, you can also lose that much.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline BD_SUPERBEAST

• Knight
  • Renown: 33
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Warpigs_BD_Superbeast
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2011, 09:44:34 am »
+1
These guys dont remember when u  needed like a month of playing or more to even buy a milanese body armor(only the body piece cause you got like 25 or 50 gold on the rounds you won and nothing on the rest) , or when people could bring one heavy lance,one arbalest,bolts and a flambergue on a plated charger with full plate set and 200+ proficiency. Was fun, but now its better,much better. A peasant guy had to face a knight like this in old times, u think that that guy had a easy time as peasant?. (you were peasant more than 1 hour in that era of cprg,not like now)

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2011, 05:15:21 pm »
The progression is the reason MMORPGs are popular - people want to get better when they put more time into it, they want to see their characters progress, get better items and more gold. If you removed that aspect and made everyone equal, many of the 24/7 gamers wouldnt want to play the game cause even after playing for so long, the guy who only spent 1/5 the time playing has the same stuff, which makes it seem like a 'waste of time'.

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2011, 05:40:35 pm »
+1
The progression is the reason MMORPGs are popular - people want to get better when they put more time into it, they want to see their characters progress, get better items and more gold. If you removed that aspect and made everyone equal, many of the 24/7 gamers wouldnt want to play the game cause even after playing for so long, the guy who only spent 1/5 the time playing has the same stuff, which makes it seem like a 'waste of time'.

Yeah but MMORPGs dont depend on everybody fighting all the time against each other.
If i had to play 200h against stupid NPCs i would like to get some shit for it for sure to not get bored after 1h.
If i had to play for 200h against NPC to participate in PVP i would trash the game.

This is no MMOG. Its a medieval combatgame with elements of an RPG. If there wouldnt be maxlvl and upkeep
only pure grinders would stay and everybody else would quit after some time.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2011, 07:46:37 pm »
Upkeep is a way to use good gear as a treat for the player, but it is completely unnecessary. I'm an archer, everyone QQ's about how strong bodkins are. Reality is they cost an arm and a leg for a bit of extra damage. So being the poor man I am, I use regular arrows. I get 18 more shots and still do cut damage. How does my KDR reflect using arrows over bodkins? I may miss out on 1-2 kills, but otherwise my score is extremely similar.

I made a skip the fun character recently too. He rolls around using a spiked mace and 11-13 weight armor, wearing about 15k total gold on him. Will I top the charts against people like goretooth or serge? Probably not. Will I be second or third on the list? It's possible.

Upkeep is fine, stop depending on armor to fix you mistakes.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2011, 06:05:51 am »
Stop saying everyone depends on their fucking armor.

I want to play in full plate all the time, I can't, some guy wants to play to play in ninja gear all the time, he can, that sucks.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2011, 10:37:00 am »
+3
Stop saying everyone depends on their fucking armor.

I want to play in full plate all the time, I can't, some guy wants to play to play in ninja gear all the time, he can, that sucks.

Which is why really there should only be 3 tiers of "armor".

Light - barely any protection, but you remain fast

Medium - decent protection, only slows you down a little

Heavy - Most protection, you're now a turtle

And then the "look" should simply be visual.  That way you can wear your "plate" for your look but it doesn't actually do anything for you protection wise.  It's win-win.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Pigeonteeth

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2011, 01:33:49 am »
Personally I recommend you try the costume approach. Based on the situation of the siege or battle you can dress up like a nobleman/king/queen, generic pike/spearman, maceman, anonymous peasant conscript, barbarian peasant, winged helmet w/nudity or what not. Black robes and other combinations can make for hours of fun.

Caution however, this is indended only for people who don't play super cereal. Trust me armor and weapons don't entirely make the player. Take your time learning from an opponent, understanding how people move, and trying to fake or counter what they do. I myself am not a melee expert by far, but it can be a fun challenge trying to take down a tin can.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2011, 01:43:36 am »
Personally I recommend you try the costume approach. Based on the situation of the siege or battle you can dress up like a nobleman/king/queen, generic pike/spearman, maceman, anonymous peasant conscript, barbarian peasant, winged helmet w/nudity or what not. Black robes and other combinations can make for hours of fun.

Caution however, this is indended only for people who don't play super cereal. Trust me armor and weapons don't entirely make the player. Take your time learning from an opponent, understanding how people move, and trying to fake or counter what they do. I myself am not a melee expert by far, but it can be a fun challenge trying to take down a tin can.
The feeling of standing over a dead man. With full plate, made by master smiths, on his body. You wearing only rags. No shield. No helmet. Only a small mace in your hand. THAT, is the joy of cRPG.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Pigeonteeth

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2011, 01:53:18 am »
+2
The feeling of standing over a dead man. With full plate, made by master smiths, on his body. You wearing only rags. No shield. No helmet. Only a small mace in your hand. THAT, is the joy of cRPG.

I AM KRONAN, LORD OF PEASANTS, FARMER OF MUD, LOOK UPON MY HARVEST AND TREMBLE!

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2011, 06:10:55 am »

Nope, true joy is parading over all those pesants you slayed while wearing full palte and they couldn't do shit about it, because fuck you peasants rebels, bow to me.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2011, 06:33:23 am »
Nope, true joy is parading over all those pesants you slayed while wearing full palte and they couldn't do shit about it, because fuck you peasants rebels, bow to me.

I love you bob... except for this mentality of yours which makes me puke in my mouth.  :(

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2011, 06:40:10 am »
Well... I always play a warrior in game, does that make your puke taste better?

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2011, 06:53:35 am »
Well... I always play a warrior in game, does that make your puke taste better?

A little bit yes.  Like regurgitated Reese's Cups.  Still puke, but almost kind of good.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2011, 07:32:08 am »
Which is why really there should only be 3 tiers of "armor".

Light - barely any protection, but you remain fast

Medium - decent protection, only slows you down a little

Heavy - Most protection, you're now a turtle

And then the "look" should simply be visual.  That way you can wear your "plate" for your look but it doesn't actually do anything for you protection wise.  It's win-win.

This a million times. And Heavy armor should really slow you down, not like the lightning speed armor crutchers we have now.