Author Topic: The upkeep problem: My perspective as far as new players are concerned.  (Read 7097 times)

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
I will start off this post with a quote from chadz about the upkeep increase and why it is more expensive.

Upkeep was increased because there is now a way to influence it with personal skill, thus resulting in a higher multiplicator for better players.

Also, we wanted to see lower priced equipment in general.

Good players adapt, weak players lobby.  :wink:

edit:Gold is one of many variables in items. Many items are better than what they cost, but the overall stats are weaker. Which is interesting.

So basically what he is saying is that it is cheaper and you get more for your money when you use the low to mid grade weapons.  Using the top of the line weapons will make you pay more to repair.  In a way he is forcing everyone to use less expensive armor and weapons so that skill shines a little bit more than some dude in triple heirloomed plate helicoptering all over the place.

I get what you are saying chadz and I agree with your move to make repairs more expensive on high end equipment.  It will make battles more skill based and not everyone will use the best of the best all the time.  Right?  No.... Wrong.  The exact opposite is happening.

The problem you didn't anticipate was that you have many players that have poopsocked so much in this game that they have almost a million or two saved up.  Does this effect them?  Not really.  Will it anytime soon?  Nope. 

Why?

Well because of the upkeep cost new players and players like myself who play casually(at the most 12 hours a week) have to play with these people that have never ending fortunes.  They never change their gear to something different and always wear the best of the best.  Therefore they will almost always get the 5x more often.  Hence making them more and more less likely to finally budget themselves accordingly like the rest of the player base and use different equipment from time to time.

So basically although I fully support what you are trying to do chadz with this upkeep increase.... it still makes new players to this game less likely to be able to compete with the players on a skillwise level since they will always wear the best of the best. 

What do you guys think?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline LLJK_Korea1

• Knight
  • Renown: 30
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
  • What of it?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
+3
Multiply upkeeps costs dramatically by every heirloom level item gets, problem solved.
PROUD CITIZEN OF PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF LLJK

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
+2
gen 1 up to level 15 pay no upkeep?
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Sultan_Khalifa

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Sultan_Khalifa Fallen_Santa_Khalifa
I will start off this post with a quote from chadz about the upkeep increase and why it is more expensive.

So basically what he is saying is that it is cheaper and you get more for your money when you use the low to mid grade weapons.  Using the top of the line weapons will make you pay more to repair.  In a way he is forcing everyone to use less expensive armor and weapons so that skill shines a little bit more than some dude in triple heirloomed plate helicoptering all over the place.

I get what you are saying chadz and I agree with your move to make repairs more expensive on high end equipment.  It will make battles more skill based and not everyone will use the best of the best all the time.  Right?  No.... Wrong.  The exact opposite is happening.

The problem you didn't anticipate was that you have many players that have poopsocked so much in this game that they have almost a million or two saved up.  Does this effect them?  Not really.  Will it anytime soon?  Nope. 

Why?

Well because of the upkeep cost new players and players like myself who play casually(at the most 12 hours a week) have to play with these people that have never ending fortunes.  They never change their gear to something different and always wear the best of the best.  Therefore they will almost always get the 5x more often.  Hence making them more and more less likely to finally budget themselves accordingly like the rest of the player base and use different equipment from time to time.

So basically although I fully support what you are trying to do chadz with this upkeep increase.... it still makes new players to this game less likely to be able to compete with the players on a skillwise level since they will always wear the best of the best. 

What do you guys think?

well u don't have the right to complain in my opinion

your over glorified casually

i don't mean the normal casually

I mean your Kind if you but the time and effort into the game you should have a advanteg over people like your self.

Why would you care if they kill you or win ?

you only but 12 hours a weak in the game its like you have a little fun and leave why would you care.

Its only because your over glorified casually that wants to be like the people that worked there ass off grinding geting money..

and you want it to come in ur lap
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 05:02:04 pm by Sultan_Khalifa »

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
+1
At the moment it's nothing to do with casual/lame full time gamers. It's more to do with the people who have played crpg LONG before upkeep was ever implemented. Bearing in mind, upkeep is a relatively new implementation. Before you could save up gold and the only thing that would matter was buying equipment. As a result the older players, many of them on ridiculous numbers of gens, have huge reserves of gold. I don't think it's fair to punish them for it. But it does make the upkeep system a little bit more redundant.

At the moment upkeep is to high. It's nigh impossible to earn a decent amount of gold unless you grind as a peasant, or in very very low level gear. This would certainly put me off if I was a new players, seeing as you have to save up for something by grinding, only to buy it and then have to save up again to use it. It means by the time you get to use your shiny new piece of equipment, you've probably played a good few hours of nothing.

I think upkeep pre-patch was fine. I don't know what they did to it, and there are those that claim you should still be able to support a high level of equipment, but from person after person posting, and general conversations with people in game/ts ect. Everyone agrees that it's a bit daft the way it is at the moment.

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
I'd like to see a wipe the next time a big patch rolls around, but yeah...rage

Offline Gheritarish le Loki

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
+1
Working to grind gold?
Working...?
Something wrong...
Anyway, i don´t see why you should have an advantage because you have a lot of time to play. Eventualy you should be better because you spend more time to train, but you should not have an advantage because of better gear. That would mean that the guy who spend his life on crpg would be the best because he has better item.
Skills>time spent

About upkeep, i´m prety sure that it helps newplayer, i remember old days with no upkeep, it was harder for new player and peasant time was longer.
Upkeep prices raised, but you can still afford medium gear, what else need a new or casual player? medium gear will give you sufficient power to crush tin can (with some skills).
Don´t forget that new player are mostly just bad, you can give them plate they still be crush by a veteran in peasant gear...

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
Don´t forget that new player are mostly just bad, you can give them plate they still be crush by a veteran in peasant gear...

But that's why it's hard for new players atm I think. chadz says that upkeep is related to skill. New players inevitably have less skill and it will take them time to build up that skill. However, a lot of that is also dependent on the equipment they buy. If upkeep is skill related, then new players will never be able to get better/afford the equipment to get better.

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
if a guy sucks there is nothing you can do, give him tin can he will still suck.
Newplayer start the game and suck, he has low equip, so he thinks that he sucks because he has bad gear, it needs time to buy better gear, meanwhile he trains himself and learn new skills.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
+1
if a guy sucks there is nothing you can do, give him tin can he will still suck.
Newplayer start the game and suck, he has low equip, so he thinks that he sucks because he has bad gear, it needs time to buy better gear, meanwhile he trains himself and learn new skills.

But that's my point...why should you be punished for sucking? You may just naturally suck. Especially for those who don't have the time for training themselves up on a game. You should still be able to have fun, even if you're bad. And a lot of the fun in warband/crpg comes with good equipment.

Offline Vlad007

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • My jousting Armour
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
+8
I totally Agree

I am one of those players that suck.
I have played for a while. Some time's I am ok, but most of the time I am pretty crap. I am also referred to as the worst cav player on the AU server.

I love Cav. I ride and joust in RL. I cant afford to ride in game now. I have a well bread charger and standard large warhorse and plated charger. I bring my heavy horse's out about 2 - 3 times in a 3 hour session and most of the time they get upkeep that cripples me. It BS that i cant play cav even on my rouncey and get ahead. Also on the AU server the rounds end quickly so when you have x5 you have it for bugger all time.

Upkeep on Cav is crap. The game is called "Mount and Blade" not dismount and be a peice of shit pesant scum.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 02:34:47 am by Vlad007 »
Death or Glory

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
+3
+1 just for this line:

Upkeep on Cav is crap. The game is called "Mount and Blade" not dismount and be a peice of shit pesant scum.

LOL

Offline Beans

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA
  • Game nicks: USA_MEATMERCHANT_AMERICA
I totally Agree

I am one of those players that suck.
I have played for a while. Some time's I am ok, but most of the time I am pretty crap. I am also referred to as the worst cav player on the AU server.

I love Cav. I ride and joust in RL. I cant afford to ride in game now. I have a well bread charger and standard large warhorse and plated charger. I bring my heavy horse's out about 2 - 3 times in a 3 hour session and most of the time they get upkeep that cripples me. It BS that i cant play cav even on my rouncey and get ahead. Also on the AU server the rounds end quickly so when you have x5 you have it for bugger all time.

You can make money with a rouncy, it won't be pretty but you can run some chain armor, light or lance, cheap shit shield to take 1 hit. If you are 1h cav it will be a little rougher doing melee with a desert horse though.

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
if you suck, you suck no matter your equipment.

The mod is called cRPG, in a RP way there is no peasant on a horse or with armor, only knight could afford expensive gear.

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
if you suck, you suck no matter your equipment.

The mod is called cRPG, in a RP way there is no peasant on a horse or with armor, only knight could afford expensive gear.
I don't agree with this. On a battle or a siege server, most of the time you die because of circumstances outside your control; you're climbing a ladder and a crossbowman gets a headshot, or someone chops you from behind with a greatsword while you were fighting someone else or you get team hit and finished off while you're still stunned. What saves you most is gear, whether it's heavy armour, a good thick shield or a nasty weapon that kills them before they can kill you, not your amazing blocking and footwork skills honed to perfection by long hours on the duel server - those don't do any harm either, but they are not the key factor.
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.