Author Topic: Why do we even need upkeep anymore?  (Read 36940 times)

Offline Allers

• Count
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player
  • Ca$hville
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ca$hville Records, Ruff Ryders
  • Game nicks: Allers, Young Buck, DMX
  • IRC nick: Allers
Re: Why do we even need upkeep anymore?
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2011, 07:07:43 pm »
Serious playing for strat??? YOU DONT EVEN PLAY STRATEGUS YOU JUST GIVE A GUY A COMMAND AND WAIT FOR HOURS

All you new people who havent played strat before think its like a whole new game and its going to be so fun but its not

The only thing fun is doing battles and thats it
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 07:09:11 pm by Allers »
Ca$hville 615

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB
  • Game nicks: BlackHand_Heroin, Heroin_ATS, Heroin__JaBoNRA, Heroine_Heroin_MB, F8
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2011, 08:07:46 pm »
+2
Upkeep was increased because there is now a way to influence it with personal skill, thus resulting in a higher multiplicator for better players.

When the method for "influencing" the multiplier is a secret, not released to the public, that is not skill. That is luck. I have had this happen several times now, and still don't definitively know what "skill" is required to make it happen. I have also went on rampages during rounds, killing 10 people in a round and being the last one left before dying, and NOT got this. ::shrugs:: Definitely seems like luck > skill.

EDIT: P.S. To those saying that this system "punishes" new players for not being good, that is ridiculous. There is NOTHING wrong with rewarding skilled players, and that reward does NOT equal "punishment" for less skillful players. Saying it is would be the equivalent to saying that awarding the medal of honor to a soldier who saved the lives of an entire platoon is a punishment for said platoon. Awards/Rewards are not punishments.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 08:27:27 pm by Heroin »
Quote from: Godfrey of Ibelin
I once fought for two days with an arrow through my testicle.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2011, 08:38:38 pm »
+1
EDIT: P.S. To those saying that this system "punishes" new players for not being good, that is ridiculous. There is NOTHING wrong with rewarding skilled players, and that reward does NOT equal "punishment" for less skillful players. Saying it is would be the equivalent to saying that awarding the medal of honor to a soldier who saved the lives of an entire platoon is a punishment for said platoon. Awards/Rewards are not punishments.

I also feel that skilled players should be rewarded. However, I think the current system punishes skilled and unskilled players alike.

Let's say there are two teams. 1 is heavily unmatched. You are an awesome player and autobalance knows this and puts you on the losing team. Now let's say that every round you have at least a 5-1 kpd. You're a skilled player and are doing pretty well. However, your team still loses because the rest of the team isn't that great. So, you're stuck at x1 for the rest of the map. Do you feel rewarded?

I've gotten the valor thing many times and it does help to mitigate the above problem. The problem is, it seems more random than skill based. I've killed 12 people in a round and not gotten and killed 1 guy and got it. Maybe it's not working as intended?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB
  • Game nicks: BlackHand_Heroin, Heroin_ATS, Heroin__JaBoNRA, Heroine_Heroin_MB, F8
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2011, 08:47:21 pm »
+1
I've gotten the valor thing many times and it does help to mitigate the above problem. The problem is, it seems more random than skill based. I've killed 12 people in a round and not gotten and killed 1 guy and got it.

This was one of the points of my above post. I would agree with chadz in that it is an acceptable way to mitigate higher upkeep, IF the system were known to the public, and did NOT include a random element.

Random chance does not = skill. The exception to this would be if it were similar to a kill based system with a 10% "chance" per kill of getting it. This would mean that, through skill, it would be possible to guarantee getting it in any round in which you got 10 kills. However, chadz has already stated that he is opposed to any such system due to it promoting KSing.

It seems pretty terrible to raise the upkeep costs by a LOT, for which everyone knows the mechanics, then use some super secret method of keeping multi's to mitigate that new cost, for which NO ONE knows the mechanics.

EDIT: Also, it isn't possible for us to give chadz any constructive feedback on the system without knowing how the system works.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 08:51:09 pm by Heroin »
Quote from: Godfrey of Ibelin
I once fought for two days with an arrow through my testicle.

Offline Andropov

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2011, 10:24:03 pm »
+1
+1, complete agreeing.

Offline Andropov

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2011, 10:32:22 pm »
+1
Get rid of upkeep, and make plate users run slower and have WPF penalties; make it a playstyle, not the best playstyle which is available to the select few with millions from loom selling. Balancing on gold is nonsensical.

Offline Andropov

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2011, 10:38:14 pm »
+1
I think the upkeep was good pre patch but now it is even better tbh.
It adds more diversity, challange and fun. It wouldn't be much fun for a low damaging archer with only tincans to shot at, would it?
Now there is an opponent to fight for everyone.

For most classes it is not possible to play with the most expensive equipment every round.
You need to choose different armour and weapons depending on your multiplier... it is not hard at all.
You can also just save up by playing as a peasant for some hours... or by by making good trades at the market.
Later on you can wear your most expensive equipment every round.

Playing as a peasant is pretty fun if you ask me. You have to play smarter to be successful which makes it more challenging.
And you can always pick up good weapons and later just drop them to avoid upkeep.

As if there is not enough grind already. Playing a peasant isn't fun. What's fun is being able to wear your own equipment and play your own style of the game, not being forced into a few specific roles. If someone wants to play a slow moving, slow hitting but indestructible tank, you should be able to. If you want to be super fast ranger like Legolas or something, you should be able to as well. 

Offline seddrik

• Very mad bro
  • Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • NSCOC.Info
  • Faction: Phoenix Company
  • Game nicks: Seddrik_PxC
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2011, 03:34:41 am »
+1
The worst thing in the game is that uber speed boost.  Forget all the hard (torturous) grinding and skill allocation effort... suddenly someone walks up and swings so fast you cant see it.... not from skill, but just turbo uber speed.  Trash that garabage.  We have enough gear and lvl diff without something like that...

Upkeep... eh.  I prefer none like it used to be.  Yeah some ppl walked round in tin can all day... so what?  Its a sword game.  If you have upkeep tho, dont make it so burdensome that you cant wear even mid gear without just flat out losing money unless ur peasant and winning multis.

I played back when levels were unlimited and ppl were 40 somethinsg for having put in time and effort.  And ppl had tin cans with no upkeep.  Was it tough to start out vs that?  Sure, but I thot "Hey I can get there too...."  and now?  I dont even bother with that tin can (upkeep is murder) and play horse? not even gonna touch that.....  Yeah upkeep system dumbed down the game and made it *easier* for newbies.   And diminished the level of fun and aspiration in the game.

Leveling is much more of a grind now.  Less and less I play alts... and HATE regenning...

I just run peasant and decent weapon.  I'm already getting bored with it.  Kinda sad.  Nothing to aspire to now.  As previous poster said

As if there is not enough grind already. Playing a peasant isn't fun. What's fun is being able to wear your own equipment and play your own style of the game, not being forced into a few specific roles. If someone wants to play a slow moving, slow hitting but indestructible tank, you should be able to. If you want to be super fast ranger like Legolas or something, you should be able to as well. 

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 03:37:39 am by seddrik »

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2011, 04:09:19 am »
+1
Grinding takes forever.
Upkeeps are so fucking high.
There is no differenent reward for a guy topping the scoreboard and a retard playing with -5kills 21 deaths.
Im sure there will be cRPG bot soon just like other stupid grindfest MMOs.
Weird thing is , this game is not a mmo,it should be fun to play but no ! Now you have to leech on servers with shitty gear and try to make some money and get experience maybe in 1 or 2 weeks you'll reach good levels to enjoy the game and if you are lucky you could save some money to buy some equipment.
I really cannot understand why dev team turns this game into a boring grindfest.The only thing keeps this community alive is the old buggy  strategus and of course chadz's rumours about new strategus (Maybe he'll release it in a year.)

About the tincan stuff:
It is better to have tincans rather than naked katana spammers.Cuz our beloved dev team fcked armours soak ratios and now tincans are just a vulnerable slow targets to kill.New soak ratios and upkeep system force people to get shitty armours and spammable cheap weapons which also fucks this game up imo.I hope they'll stop playing with game's mechanics to find out new stuff next update.We are not labrats turn this game into an enjoyable game soon please.

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2011, 04:46:21 am »
+1
I think you are exaggerating. The upkeep is there for several reasons and most people would hate it to be removed.
You are not forced to play as a peasant. You can wear 30-40k of equipment every round without losing money in the long run.

Offline CtrlAltDe1337

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Victoria aut mors
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS / Northern Empire
  • Game nicks: Kataphraktos, Muffins, CtrlAltDelete, Haleth
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2011, 04:59:54 am »
+1
The game since upkeep has been 100x better than before.  Used to everyone was a tincan, now we actually see other viable builds.
Quote from: IRC
<abearirl>crtlaltdel shut up | you are the worst | sperglord | i hate you so much | if i could ban goatee or ban you | i'd ban you
<Wylker|work>man if i was locked in a bunker with einstein, stalin, and CtrlAltDelete and had a gun with only 2 bullets | I'd shoot CtrlAltDelete twice

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2011, 05:19:49 am »
+1
Uh, what games are you guys playing that you can't upkeep shit anymore in light armor?

I think you guys may be playing another game similarly called CRPG.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2011, 05:55:16 am »
+1
I'm an averagely skilled player and the upkeep is slightly more taxing but it really hasn't effected me too much in terms of wearing what I want, but then again I played a gen with the old system and already bought most of the things I need and tend to run around in lighter/average gear anyway so I can sort of see how it would hurt those just beginning.

I really don't enjoy less ticks though as leveling up has just become more of a pain.
And how!

Offline Mihai_qc

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2011, 06:15:48 am »
+1
The game since upkeep has been 100x better than before.  Used to everyone was a tincan, now we actually see other viable builds.

I expected no less such lies from an NA Admin.

There is a reason why pierce weapons exist.

Offline Trikipum

• Count
  • Renown: 155
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2011, 08:16:35 am »
Funny part is: Most of those guys lying about the old crpg and everyone being a tincan  are those peasants who had a hard time to earn their own "tincans" when they were noobs and money was actually hard to get. Now that they have grinded the shit of the game for a year they have no problems with this new upkeep system that just doesnt affect them after their amazing grinding. This game is full of hypocresy. There were tincans, and they were so easy to kill with just few exceptions. Even after my long CRPG break, when there was not upkeep and no level limit, i didnt have any troubles killing tincans, and that was me being level 35, and those guys 45+.. and i had ping 130.. so what is the deal?. After the patch that put the wpf penalty, plate armors werent a great option, not anymore. After the added the wpf nerf, the plate armor was actually one of the worst  options since a person with light armor could outspam you and you could do NOTHING. The upkeep system wasnt put there to keep the plate armor population under control since it already was. You can keep lying about how everyone was using black armor and bla bla bla... And you may fool new players about that. But everyone who was there Know what the truth was. And the truth was that most plate armor players were so easy to kill it was sad. They were just too slow that even with my shitty ping 130 and my 5 PS i could kill anyone level 45 using his uber plate armor....
"if you can't handle waiting a few minutes now and then, this game is not for you"